Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cleaning Oxides from Motor

Greetings-

I have a GS540, and the motor is horribly oxidized. Is there a magic solution to de-oxidizing the motor? Internally it is like new. The entire motor seems to have a layer of oxides though.

Thanks in advance!

P

Fine steel wool and elbow grease, buddy!:-D
    Frosty (falsely accused of "Thread-Hijacking"!)
    "Make it idiot proof and someone will make a better idiot."

Owner of:
    1982 GS1100E
    1995 Triumph Daytona 1200

Comment

Scrubbing bubbles (yes the bathrooom stuff) work pretty well (espicially on powdercoat), dont get it on chrome.

You could also try some of the CLR type products, elbow grease is going to come into play at some point though.

whatever the chem you use, make sure you get a good rinse afterward.

Comment

If you can find it (apparently from comments, they are rare) use a very thin flapper wheel on a drill.

Works great! I have been thinking, and am going to try something and get back with folks here about it... take a thicker wheel, like a 1/2" wheel, Soak it in water while still packaged (and thus round and packed tight) and freeze it.
        Cut it in half, widthwise, deep in to the cloth. Deep enough to penetrate fins. Polishing compound works great as a finisher, before you use the high temp aluminum polish to keep it shiny.

Thaw, dry, and use that. It will likely do it faster and better than my single 1/4" wheel.

Comment

Ok... Thanks for the advice.

I read about this somewhere, mostly for grease and all, but figured it was so silly it might work. So....

I had a can of that no-touch tire spray lying around. Wow. It did not get some of the heavier stuff off without assistance, but it polished up the engine very very nicely. At this point it is ready for some finishing. I tested it out on some fins first, but before long I found myself getting all spray happy.

And I never thought it would shine again.

Comment

Pics man! Show us some pics!

Comment

I recently asked for some Simple Green at the auto parts store, they said they carry some stuff called "Purple Power" and that is a similar product. Well it isn't, becasue I should be using a resperator with the stuff. Anyway, I cleaned my engine cases on the 81, and de-carboned the cylinder head and pistons with it. Use it with a bunch of different size brushes. And if you really want to resurface your engine, scrub with a Scotch-Brite pad. Rinse and good as new!
              Currently bikeless
              '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
              '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Gnaht told me he had good results with a angle grinder, i have yet to try this method though :-D

Comment

Mr. Clean

WOW! I am taking a moment from cleaning my GS750L with an old toothbrush and the Magic Purple Stuff. 25 years of greasy kid stuff is going bye-bye.

Comment

Alumibrite

There is a product out there called alumibrite spray it on scrub with a stiff brush and rinse off and it brightens the aluminum.Caution wear gloves and goggle and try not to get it on the paint as it will etch the paint.It can be found at marine shops and probably at truck stops also.

Comment

best thing i found to work is kerosen and toothbrush, then spray that with super purple degreraser or simple green, and rinse. then use a scotchbrite pad.

-ryan
                      78 GS1000 Yosh replica racer project
                      82 Kat 1000 Project
                      05 CRF450x
                      10 990 ADV-R The big dirt bike

P.S I don't check PM to often, email me if you need me.

Comment

engine cleaning

there was a guy in my shop yesterday with 81 gs650l shaftie and he had his engine blasted with co2 there is a company that will came and do. they blast it with isicles the size of tooth picks about 1\4 inch long and no mess, his engine looks great

Comment

interesting...would such extremely cold temperatures cause damage to the engine?

Comment

When I painted my engine I first tried Gunk Engine Degreaser, Purple Power, Simple Green, and Kerosene. But being an impatient man none of those were fast enough. Then I found the epoxy thinner (mineral spirits do not work nearly as well) in the collection of cans gathered over the years and brushed some on the block. OH MY GOD does that stuff cut through the layers of crude. Another benifit is that it strips the old clear coat from the aluminum without causing any damage.

Just remember when using epoxy thinner to wear gloves, ensure proper ventilation (have you ever met a normal painter?) and put down a tarp or something under where you are working.

After you finish stripping the years of crap buildup from the engine, clean it with dish soap and a good stiff brush. Use a garden hose to spray down the engine to make sure that all contaminents are removed. Then dry and paint.

Adam

Comment

Yea, after reading this I got some work to do

Comment

Working...
                              X