Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repack your baffle to last! - Repost! - Mythbuster edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hoomgar
    We gotta learn to stick it back to the man brotha! :twisted:

Oh, and BTW, I just finished re welding the tube back into the cone and have repacked the baffle again with new steel wool. Should get another year out of it. Oh, one more thing, I was wrong about the cost. I paid 99 cents for that pack of steel wool but I am going to get three packings out of it so it's about 33 cents a packing. Even better

The bike sounds great again. Back to normal.

Rock on 8)
    Very nice!

Comment

Oh, and BTW, I just finished re welding the tube back into the cone and have repacked the baffle again with new steel wool. Should get another year out of it. Oh, one more thing, I was wrong about the cost. I paid 99 cents for that pack of steel wool but I am going to get three packings out of it so it's about 33 cents a packing. Even better

The bike sounds great again. Back to normal.

Rock on 8)
      $0.33 per repack? Man, you must be RICH Mark!! To rich for my blood...
      Currently bikeless
      '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
      '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

it WILL burn..

you just need a better heat source. get rid of that wimpy BBQ lighter and pick up the O/A torch

Comment

Yeah thats it, drugs. Maybe I should be?

No smilie huh?

No, no smile. Smile machine broken.

Comment

Originally posted by RotaryRodder
            it WILL burn..

you just need a better heat source. get rid of that wimpy BBQ lighter and pick up the O/A torch
            As noted in my first posts, if your muffler can gets hot enough to burn this stuff, it will be melting your pipes too. You can incinerate anything, but I defy anyone to get steel to burn at these temps. Please post a video of steel wool burning at temps you will find in a normal operating motorcycle muffler. What? yeah, I didn't think so

No worries mate, I know where your coming from, but no cigar man.

This works good my friend, you can trust me on that. If you pack your baffle with this, IT WILL NOT BURN!

Comment

Hey hoom, you're a nut, but keep with it. You pull it off nicely.
              Anyway, I just strapped a VH 4-1 on my 850. Is that setup something that comes apart easily to repack? I don't know crap about welding or any of that.

Comment

Even if you want to wrap with glass again it's a good idea to wrap a little steel around the baffle first to keep from burning up the fiberglass so quick. Make sure to use the coarse grade like Mark has used. The finer stuff tends to rust once moisture gets to it.

Comment

Originally posted by qslim
                  Hey hoom, you're a nut, but keep with it. You pull it off nicely.
                  Anyway, I just strapped a VH 4-1 on my 850. Is that setup something that comes apart easily to repack? I don't know crap about welding or any of that.
                  I do what I can with what I got I took a good bit of heat about this tip last year and had it deleted because of it. That is why I fooled around so much in here. Just having fun mostly but it was important to make a point.

As for removing the baffle on your V&H can, yes it comes out pretty easy, you'll see the bolt when you look and then it slides right out. Like Billy said, used the course stuff. Too fine and it wont last as long.

Comment

Dear Mr. H Gar,

I really appreciate you stressing the need to use real steel. But I also need to clean up my exhaust emissions.

Can I use SOS or Brillo pads?

If I do can I still ride in the rain without blowing bubbles from my pipes?

Thanks,

Nu2disthred Fred

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                      Dear Mr. H Gar,

I really appreciate you stressing the need to use real steel. But I also need to clean up my exhaust emissions.

Thanks,

Nu2disthred Fred
                      LMAO

Comment

Originally posted by jimcor
                        Dear Mr. H Gar,

Thanks,

Nu2disthred Fred
                        Dear Fred, you error greatly in your thinking. If a cleaning affect is what you desire then an SOS pad may in fact be to abrasive and end up causing rust. Instead, pack your baffle with a wet, soapy sponge. It will have no effect if you ride in the rain or not and it is a sure fire way to entertain the neighbors!

We now return you to this otherwise boring thread

Comment

Too funny :mrgreen:

Comment

Comment

Lighter-gauge steel wool will burn easily with a match. It's pretty neat to watch, actually. The heavy stuff like you're using would be pretty hard to get going, if you could at all.

Comment

Now HERE'S where it gets fun.....how to repack your exhaust when the PO removed the baffle and you have nothing to wrap the steel wool around! Any ideas on fabricating a baffle?

Comment

Working...
                                X