Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Repack your baffle to last! - Repost! - Mythbuster edition!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by txironhead View Post
    Now HERE'S where it gets fun.....how to repack your exhaust when the PO removed the baffle and you have nothing to wrap the steel wool around! Any ideas on fabricating a baffle?
    Yup. Spend 26.00 here:

Comment

Hoomie, this is obviously getting to you.8-[ You really MUST stop biting your nails over it.
      "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
      Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

BTW, I've seen a Hoomwool baffle and it is for sure built to last......

Comment

Just as a note. There is no packing in the stock exhausts. So you can't repack them :-)
          You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
          If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
          1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
          1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
          1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
          1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
          1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Originally posted by Nerobro View Post
            Just as a note. There is no packing in the stock exhausts. So you can't repack them :-)
            Crud.

So how do you make the thing quieter?

Oh, and Hoomgar, gotta link to your horn upgrade thread? It'd be appreciated!

Comment

Originally posted by s0crates82 View Post
              Crud.

Jam a potato in there :-D

Comment

Would the heat stored in the steel wool, help to act as a catalytic converter? Or is the temperature too low to perform that function?
                Hoom, there are always "Nay" sayers whenever someone tries something that works for someone else but not for them. I tend to go with the "It worked for me" attitude and if it doesn't work for you then I guess you did something different.
                Thanks for posting your tip.
                I have a stock exhaust, and won't be attempting it but thanks again.

Comment

Originally posted by t3rmin View Post
                  Lighter-gauge steel wool will burn easily with a match. It's pretty neat to watch, actually. The heavy stuff like you're using would be pretty hard to get going, if you could at all.
                  The fine steel wool will also burn with anything more then 3 volts great way to start a fire. But the coarse stuff like the 4 should have no problem.

Comment

i just want to add this is a great tech article.... good info and great know how. its valuable in my book.

Comment

Originally posted by s0crates82 View Post
                      Crud.

Here you go buddy. http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...ad.php?t=79893

That thread is about preserving the stock horns. If you want to upgrade there are a lot of really good packages. I have dual 130 db blasters on my 1100 and I assure you everyone can hear them

If you want to preserve your stock horns this tip thread may help.

Comment

Bump

Chef pointed this out to me; this is a great thread. Here are some other references to using this technique.

• Stainless steel wool is made from Alloy type AISI 434 stainless steel.
                        • The 5 lb reels are a web of stainless steel wool approximately 1/4" thick by 4" wide, wound onto a 2-3/8" ID fiber core to an outside diameter of about 8-12" and weighing exactly 5 pounds net. All products are about 125 feet of web per 5-pound reel.
                        • Stainless steel wool products withstand temperatures in excess of 700°C, exhaust acids and high vibration.
                        • Furnace tests show that stainless steel wool will withstand sustained temperatures of 700°C and peak temperatures of 800° C for up to 10 minutes without damage or degradation.
                        • CHEMISTRY : C (Carbon) 0.12% max. ; Si (Silicon) 1.0% max. ; Mn (Manganese) 1.0% max. ; S (Sulfur) 0.03% max. ;P (Phosphorous) 0.04% max. ; Cr (Chromium) 16.0 - 18.0% max. ; Mo (Molybdenum) 1.25% max.; Fe (Iron) remainder
                        • Common Reels: The simplest form of stainless steel wool is a continuous roving, 4 inches wide on reels. This product meets all of the physical demands for exhaust applications, but is presented in a basic form requiring the muffler manufacturer to do all of the processing and assembly.
                        Here is a link to replacement baffles and even emblems.

http://www.cyclewareables.com/pages/exhaust_baffles/exhaust_baffles.htm

I've already started on the Stainless Steel Muzzy on my Gixxer

Thanks Hoomgar

Posplayr

Update:

Here is a DIY "How To" from Yoshimura
                        For over 65 years, Hideo “Pops” Yoshimura and his namesake company have designed and produced the finest exhaust systems in the world.
                        Last edited by posplayr; 09-01-2008, 11:18 AM.

Comment

I do need to disagree on a small degree...the gauge of steel wool you used wont burn, but most likely the guys argueing with you are using more like 0000 steel wool...which will burn extremely easily with just a spark or lighter...have set it on fire many times to watch the fire worms run...fun...your tip is good and will most likely be great for me as I need to pack mine today and will try to heavy gauge wool...thanks for the tip.

Comment

If you note in the Yoshi Video

They wrapped what looks like fiberglass around a central core of steel wool.Yes you have to have the right thickness steel wool . See the specs of the product I posted.

Stainless steel wool products withstand temperatures in excess of 700°C, exhaust acids and high vibration.
                            Furnace tests show that stainless steel wool will withstand sustained temperatures of 700°C and peak temperatures of 800° C for up to 10 minutes without damage or degradation.
                            Posplayr

Comment

hadnt read those pages yet...nice find there...I did try it last night and it does work pretty good...I think I need some mroe, but I think I will try the insulation along with the steel wool...didnt notice any power difference, but it is quieter...running a VH 4-1...

Comment

I received the roll of SS Steel Wool

I took a small strand and held in a direct gas stove flame until it was bright red and left it for abouut 1 minute. It did not burn away. It was not shiney anymore but that is about it. This is much worse than any exhaust can. Should be fine for packing exhaust cans.

Posplayr

I'm still waiting on a baffle to rebuild my Muzzy

Comment

Working...
                                X