Designing my own Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahhhh!.... you're doing your homework!
    Yes, Packaged full-wave bridges, and Boltstud SCR's. The zener provides a stable Vref only and is in the low power control circuit. The control circuit compares the sense voltage via a voltage divider network to the Vref and triggers the firing of the shunt SCR's.

Comment

patents and diodes

yeah, you're right, filing a patent is likely just an invitation to some low-cost manufacturer to copy it, sad but true.

For the actual AC to DC rectification part, are you going with the usual 4-diode Wheatstone bridge mimic arrangement? Or is there something better these days?

I've been contemplating this as well for a winter 2006/7 project, haven't got round to working out the diode specs, but I have scoped out some sources for them.

Comment

The Patent Office and Patent Lawyers suck. Just a big ripoff from my experience, the cheapest Patent Lawyer I spoke to wanted US$20K before he even looked at my draft. A friend of mine designed an electronic digital vault lock, mortgaged his house to do the patent thing, went most of the way with it, only to find that it was copied along the way and was being manufactured in Asia, copied down to the last detail. I do own one patent locally but it's really not worth the paper it's written on.
        Anyways......... There are 3-phase diode packs available but the onesI've found are very expensive. So I plan on using two (actually connected one and one half) 4-diode Wheatstone bridges (way cheaper).
        I just scrounged some acceptable SCRs from my junk box, I don't have suitable bridges though, so got to get those tomorrow.

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley
          Greg:
          Great, This is what I need, as trying to do anything other than a prototype here in Trinidad & Tobago will be frustrating.
          I have no intention of buying a Harley or Mercedes from this project (if that happens, I will certainly not complain as I'm sure they will add very nicely to my garage decor:-D ), but my main interest is to contribute to the biking community if I can (when I get into these groups, I get myself into soooo much trouble) and I believe that I can use my training and talents to solve this nagging problem with a robust device that at the same time gives us come control over the charging system. I believe that I'm on to something here. Today's a public holiday here (got up early of course, and went for a 20-mile ride in the hills) and tomorrow I will purchase some perfboard and a bunch of components and build and test a full prototype. I will probably just mill a case/ heatsink from a block of 6061 Aluminum for the prototype. We'll refine all the stuff down the road, there are many ways to accomplish the regulation but I'm applying the "KISS" principle and trying to keep the parts count low without compromising performance.
          Will keep you updated.
          Cheers, Cletus
          Cletus,

Are all of the component's perf mount or surface, wave soldering an option?
          What is the max temp any given component will handle, as in sealed unit packaging, or do the components require air flow? I personally hate the sealed unit design, makes service a PITA. I'm currently working on another application ( need your input on this....application) that involves a molded two piece clamshell design, with a semi-pliable housing. (My past experience was plastic processing, and I still like to dabble.....)

ghwrenchit

Comment

I agree, the patent thing bites. IMHO you just need to get it out there LLC. If you get sued and can't pay, go out of business, and start again :-D :-D :-D It's the 90's + American way!!! Wish I had a dime for each time I get mad at the system.... I'd be riding a GS1100 sport around my 60~ft yacht deck somewhere in the atlantic under full sun!!!

ghwrenchit

Comment

Continuing the design and testing phase, can I assume:
              1) That all the GS series bikes use a 3-phase "Y-connected" Permanent Magnet alternator?
              2) And if above is true, all the GS series bikes use the same Rectifier/regulator?
              3) And all GS series bikes have a problem with this device?
              4) If not please let me know the variances.
              I am trying to design a single, very robust and agile regulator, hopefully the last regulator you need put on the bike.
              Cletus

Comment

I am So far ahead of you guys.

Comment

Originally posted by kent
                  Where can I get me one of them?:shock:

Comment

Originally posted by cberkeley
                    Continuing the design and testing phase, can I assume:
                    1) That all the GS series bikes use a 3-phase "Y-connected" Permanent Magnet alternator?
                    2) And if above is true, all the GS series bikes use the same Rectifier/regulator?
                    3) And all GS series bikes have a problem with this device?
                    4) If not please let me know the variances.
                    I am trying to design a single, very robust and agile regulator, hopefully the last regulator you need put on the bike.
                    Cletus
                    1) Yes. they all use three phase y connected permanant magnet alternators.
                    2) No. The different size GS's got different size R/R's and have different capacity alternators. I think the biggest were on the GS1100's IIRC at 28 amps? I think the smallest were 14 amps.
                    3) Almost every GS has the problem. Suzuki chose low spec parts for all their bikes. For instance the R/R on my GS550 was half the size of the one that came on the CX500. (which is currently on the bike) The R/R's you see on bikes that don't have the R/R problems that our suzukis have are almost always twice the size of the equivalant GS model.
                    4) Make a r/r that can handle 30-40 amps and it will work for every GS model.
                    You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                    If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                    1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                    1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                    1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                    1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                    1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

Now we just need a little package tweaking.....:-D :-D :-D

Greg

Comment

Hey!......... Now that's R O B U S T!!
                        Should mount easily under the seat too:-D

Comment

Well you're all talking about stuff that I only vaguely understand, but nevertheless I'm following with interest! As will anyone with a GS Suzuki.

Mike.

Comment

Yeah, definetely following this thread. As a question though... any estimate on what the costs are going to be? Like, if this ends up being more than a ricks or electrosport model would there be any advantages?

Just the business side of me acting up again :-D

Comment

Well... $17 for the rectifier... A run of boards would come to something like $5 a board. The other components are fairly cheap... so.. $40, on the outside for electronic components. The case is the question.......

Is that the right ballpark?
                              You'd have to be crazy to be sane in this world -Nero
                              If you love it, let it go. If it comes back....... You probably highsided.
                              1980 GS550E (I swear it's a 550...)
                              1982 GS650E (really, it's a 650)
                              1983 GS550ES (42mpg again)
                              1996 Yamaha WR250 (No, it's not a 4 stroke.)
                              1971 Yamaha LT2 (9 horsepower of FURY.)

Comment

You certainly have my attention!!

Comment

Working...
                                X