The open source Rectifier/Regulator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm trying.

Apparently not hard enough. You have a reply to every thing I said EXCEPT a finished product. All talk and no action. Enough said. GIT R DONE. No wonder the space shuttle blew apart TWICE. Not acceptable.

---------

* Well; ok, not really a Rocket Scientist: an Aerospace Engineer ...
    but Rocket Scientist sounds so much better. \\/[/QUOTE]

Comment

Originally posted by relic-rider
      Originally posted by bakalorz
      I'm trying.
      Apparently not hard enough. You have a reply to every thing I said EXCEPT a finished product. All talk and no action. Enough said. GIT R DONE. No wonder the space shuttle blew apart TWICE. Not acceptable.
      Please have someone that can explain the big words to you read post #21 in this thread to you. (it was the post exactly one post before the one you quoted above)

That post (and the end of the very first post in the thread) explains why nothing is out _YET_.

Comment

Status Update !

Posting a status update.

It took a LONG time to send out my order to Jameco electronics.

There were a bunch of other projects on the back burner, to be done "someday" ... and since I hate paying the shipping charges twice, I was trying to get everything figured out for one order. So I was spending days comparing the specs of different products on Jameco's website.

In the end, there were over 70 different items for 9 projects.
        Since my regulator is currently not regulating, this will be the priority project.

It looks as if the electronics should be less than $20 for the R/R

Anyway, my stuff should arrive some time next week, and then I'll build prototypes. I plan to build one differential pair type, and one with a 2 transistor amplifier.

When I'm happy with the performance of a prototype, I'll release more info.

Comment

Martin, thanks for your work!
          Last edited by DimitriT; 07-08-2006, 06:51 PM.

Comment

I also would like to offer my appreciation for what you are doing for those who are interested in building their own regulator rectifiers without having to pay someone for an imitation of the basic model that you used as a starting point. Even those like myself who have no plans to build one will benefit from your investigations and recommendations, giving greater insight into the workings of the shunt type regulator. Thanks in advance for making your results public knowledge instead of trying to capitalize on it.

Comment

Did this ever come to fruition?

Comment

Originally posted by quandryron View Post
                Did this ever come to fruition?
                curious what happened here too. any answers anyone?

Comment

Not sure where to go

I just purchased a new Electrex RR09 for my 1980 GS1100L, as my old one blew. Quite a smell! The problem I am experiencing is my Electrex unit has 3 yellow wires, 1 red, 1 black. The red and black are a given, however the 3 yellow, I need help with. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, looking forward to riding again!!!! John\\/

Comment

The three yellow wires on the R/R connect to the three stator wires in any order.

Comment

I'd like to know how this project went. I love to build projects, and this one sound like it could be a good alternative to buying a premade R/R

Comment

Many thanks Boondocks

I had a used on and hooked up as you said, but things were not going so well, so thought I would inquire in here. Will hook this new one up the same. Once again many thanks, John.

Comment

Originally posted by saddlewarmer View Post
                          curious what happened here too. any answers anyone?
                          Well ... Very short version of long story ...
                          made first prototype on breadboard ...
                          Jameco sent some wrong parts ...
                          Jameco fixed it, but a contractor was remodeling our house by this time...
                          that killed two months
                          Then Wife had a baby ... this killed a few more months of playtime for me.
                          Found out not only regulator was hosed, but also stator, so I cant test on bike.
                          It got too cold to ride or work on bike.
                          Found out stator may be allright, just bad connection ... we'll see
                          Ran some simulations and improved expected performance.
                          Built prototype #2 on breadboard which showed improved performace.
                          played around with parts substitutions on prototype to get best temperature compensation
                          Built actual soldered on a circuit board version to put on bike, still have to mount up power components on heatsink though.

Which was where I was at when I got a Private message asking about it, and then found the activity in this thread.

---------

So here's the deal.

I haven't got mine on the bike yet, and I haven't tested it with the bridges and SCRs at all yet.
                          And I may still make some changes based on beta testing and comments.

I was planning to get mine on the bike, running, and tested before I released anything

but I have a description, parts list, schematic, and PC board layout based on what I think it will be ...

If you want to beta test, its not that far along yet ...
                          If you want to alpha test, PM me and I will send you a ZIP file with everything so far.

Realize that so far I haven't tested the whole thing yet, nor has it been on the bike (in fact, I'm not even sure of how I'll end up enclosing/mounting it)

The description is detailed enough that an electronic hobbiest or tech should have no trouble

So if you're interested, PM me with an email address where you can accept a ZIP attachment

Martin Bakalorz

Comment

Wooo Hooo, its done

So I finally finished my regulator and got it on my bike last week.
                            Bought the cheapest new battery available for it at WalMart, and charged it. Installed everything, and went riding three times on it over the warm sunny weekend.

So the bike does something really wierd now ...

There's this button on the right handle-bar, and when I push it, the bike just starts ...
                            No need for jumper cables or push starting anymore.
                            Ever since I bought it, the electricals were shot.
                            Even when I bought it, it had to be jump-started to get going.
                            (I suspect thats why I got a pretty good deal on it !!!)
                            So I got __REALLY__ good at push starting it.
                            So for now, pushing a button to start it is just weird for me. \\/

After buying it, I found the GSR and found out it was not just the battery, but also the regulator.
                            And hence this thread, and building (and offering the design to all) the Regulator/Rectifier.

So the status as of now is:
                            The R/R is ready for beta-testing by anyone that has an interest.
                            I have instructions and drawings available now, although I may update them a few times in the coming weeks.
                            The one I built works perfectly.
                            It should be able to handle the charging on any of the GS series bikes.
                            Its adjustable to any charging voltage you want.
                            It's bigger than the stock one, but fits in the stock location on a GS650GL
                            (don't know about the others)
                            Its reasonably simple to build (If you can solder)
                            The electrical parts cost under $20; although finding some aluminum plate, assorted screws, wire, connectors, etc. could probably end up running you about that much too, depending on your scrounging abilities and status of your junk drawer.

It will probably take about a weeks worth of evenings to build.
                            If you like electronics projects and/or tinkering, then its a fairly simple/easy project.

However, I do want to say one thing ... This project is not for everyone ...If you just want to get your bike going again for the minimum effort, I suspect you would probably find it easier to get a used honda regulator on ebay.

If you do want to build one (or even just look at the design) Send me a private msg with an email where you can accept a zipped attachment.

Martin Bakalorz

Originally posted by bakalorz View Post
                            Well ... Very short version of long story ...
                            made first prototype on breadboard ...
                            Jameco sent some wrong parts ...
                            Jameco fixed it, but a contractor was remodeling our house by this time...
                            that killed two months
                            Then Wife had a baby ... this killed a few more months of playtime for me.
                            Found out not only regulator was hosed, but also stator, so I cant test on bike.
                            It got too cold to ride or work on bike.
                            Found out stator may be allright, just bad connection ... we'll see
                            Ran some simulations and improved expected performance.
                            Built prototype #2 on breadboard which showed improved performace.
                            played around with parts substitutions on prototype to get best temperature compensation
                            Built actual soldered on a circuit board version to put on bike, still have to mount up power components on heatsink though.

Which was where I was at when I got a Private message asking about it, and then found the activity in this thread.

---------

So here's the deal.

I haven't got mine on the bike yet, and I haven't tested it with the bridges and SCRs at all yet.
                            And I may still make some changes based on beta testing and comments.

I was planning to get mine on the bike, running, and tested before I released anything

but I have a description, parts list, schematic, and PC board layout based on what I think it will be ...

If you want to beta test, its not that far along yet ...
                            If you want to alpha test, PM me and I will send you a ZIP file with everything so far.

Realize that so far I haven't tested the whole thing yet, nor has it been on the bike (in fact, I'm not even sure of how I'll end up enclosing/mounting it)

The description is detailed enough that an electronic hobbiest or tech should have no trouble

So if you're interested, PM me with an email address where you can accept a ZIP attachment

Martin Bakalorz

Comment

However, I do want to say one thing ... This project is not for everyone ...If you just want to get your bike going again for the minimum effort, I suspect you would probably find it easier to get a used honda regulator on ebay.

OR go here

1981 GS650G , all the bike you need
                              1980 GS1000G Power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely

Comment

Thanks, Martin

Congratulations, Martin and thanks for your hard work.

Comment

Working...
                                X