No announcement yet.

how about ethanol in our bikes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Honda issued a press release last year stating not to use Ethanol mixed fuel in their bikes as it would void the warranty.
    I'm pretty sure they were talking about the new ones but if Honda don't like it then I don't think I do either..

There are still plenty of services stations here that don't sell it. So I'm happy so far.

Comment

There are in fact gas stations that sell non ethanol gas. Most of those are marinas in my state. But they are out there. Hopefully I'll find one soon.
      To reduce the negative effects of ethanol I use a product called Star Brite, Star Tron. The last bottle I got cost me only $2.99 at Home Depot and it's good for 48 gallons. I use 89 octane, a grade above the 87 which is the recommended octane level.
      sigpic
      Steve
      "The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only one page."

Comment

The last administration started paying the oil companies 50cents per gallon to blend the ethanol and they like doing it even if it isn't mandated in a particular area. I believe that they put in incentives for the producers too.

Originally posted by duaneage View Post
        The biggest problem I have with ethanol is the price. Adding it to the fuel raised the market price for a gallon of ethanol from 1.47 last june to 2.78 this may. So even if you discount cost add-ins your looking at 27 cents a gallon of ethanol added to the gas + the extra aggravation of transporting it and prepping the storage tanks. Stations had to dry the tanks out of water completely and that cost around 1500 to do. Guess who pays?
        Did the powers to be really thing that the ethanol price would remain the same? Of course they did! That was an argument put forth when they pulled protection for refiners using MTBE after 15 years of mandating it.
        sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

Wow !! This thread started in 2006 !! I bet MN has been using Ethanol fuel (called oxygenated around here) for longer than that and so have I. In the Bike and the Boat and I have not suffered any ill affects except if I had forgot the Stabil & Seafoam over the winter. Maybe one time. Seems to work fine for me.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

I can second the Star Bright. Have a friend who swears by it. Made a huge difference in his Vstrom and Cherokee. Gonna give it a try. I can't confirm, but the last time I had clogged pilot jets on the GS it was a light brown sludge. Some one on here mentioned ethanol sitting for too long in carb...

Comment

In Canada, our premium gases contain no ethanol. So I start to use premium towards the end of the season, in preparation for winter storage. Of course in conjunction with other storage methods, when I park it. I don't know if it does anything, but do it anyway.
              Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
              Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
              1983 GS 750

Comment

Had a guy tell me to put a couple of ounces of 2 stroke oil in the gas....says he's been doing it...not so sure about that...
                Ethanol attracts water. I've also have seen first hand what it does to the rubber o-rings. Supposedly, the Viton o-rings can withstand the ethanol. However, I'd not let the gas sit for a long period of time in any of my bikes. I drain the bowls, fire up the bike, and run what's left out of the fuel system.
                And, in case you haven't heard....Have a friend who has had TWO tanks replaced and Ducati said this is the last one.Buttheads.

Comment

Working...
                X