Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1981 gs450 ?

HI ALL,
    can anyone tell me...on my 1981 gs450 twin I have a new battery, and mangled wiring for the starter button.

Here's the problem: lights ok, bike has sat for 6 years, when new button is pressed, nothing. Nothing at all except headlight dims. Hmmm, current goes to button. Now what do I test?

Also, how to test the regulator? Should it be the same as the instructions in my GS750 manual?

thanks in advance.
    michel

Post your questions in the Forum titled "Technical Info." this Forum "Tips and Tricks" is typically where you'd post random helpful tips, not questions.

After sitting for 6yrs your 450 should at the least get a carb and tank cleaning, before you run new gas into the engine. And an oil change.

Be sure the engine will turn over at all. You can manually turn the engine over with a wrench at the right hand side of the crankshaft. (at the signal generator)

If it does turn, then you can bypass the stater switch by conecting the poles at the solenoid with a srewdriver you don't care about. If you've never done this, read up on it or post a question before you go at it.

As for the reg/rectifier, it is probably similar to your 750 manual. Run the engine at 5,000 rpm, the output from the reg/rec should be about 13 volts dc.

cheers
    nathan

Comment

sounds like your starter relay...
      1980 Gs550e....Not stock...

Comment

Working...
      X