No announcement yet.

1978 GS1000 bored out to 1173 by RC Engineering

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Keith, thanks as always for your insight. I'm inclined to believe you're right about tightening the steering head. The bearings themselves are probably in pretty decent shape; the bike has less than 9,000 miles on the clock. In comparing my single front disk 1000 against this bike, I'm interested in knowing why the double disk wheel feels so much lighter. I know the rotors are drilled, but you'd think the extra caliper and rotor would offset the weight savings. I'm guessing a lighter front end and loose steering head bearings is a bad combo. The day after Thanksgiving I'll belch a few times and try your technique. . . I'll let you know how it works.

Terry, the old Supertrapp race header was rusty and holed like a cheese grater and is probably being melted down to make corned-beef hash cans even as we speak. Amazed the old ignition got to you so fast. Stay tuned for future wheel developments.
    1978 GS1000 http://i88.photobucket.com/albums/k1...6/P1010050.jpg

Comment

Well, it isn't really my technique, just basically tightening the stem more than you have it right now.
      It's common to feel no play/slop in the front end but once you go down the road at speed...uh oh!
      So 1/8 turn at first is what I'd try. If it improves but doesn't completely go away, them maybe another 1/8 or even less than that might do it.
      Just as long as the bars don't start dragging too much. The bars/drag will tell you when you're tightening to much.
      As for loosening the fork pinch bolts, it's always made sense to me. If you loosen only the center and side pinch bolt, then tighten the steering nut down some, re-tightening only the center bolt will cause the upper bracket/clamp to possibly bind/flex. The upper clamp should go straight down and evenly, not just down more near the front.
      Some people get anal about it and loosen the lower fork pinch bolts too. I will too, if I see that the forks tops no longer align flush with the top of the upper bracket/clamp after the additional tightening.
      And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
      Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post

Terry, the old Supertrapp race header was rusty and holed like a cheese grater and is probably being melted down to make corned-beef hash cans even as we speak. Amazed the old ignition got to you so fast. Stay tuned for future wheel developments.
        No worries Jack, thanks for that, and if you see a spare set of those alloy rimmed wheels lying around, let me know mate? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Also, I've never weighed the "E" front wheel assembly against the spoked/single disc assembly, but I'd have to believe the dual disc/cast wheel E model weighs more.
          Seems like the only way the E model could feel lighter is if it's more solid or something's wrong with the spoked front end, such as something loose. I know low tire pressure can give you that heavy feeling, along with loose parts.
          And on the seventh day,after resting from all that he had done,God went for a ride on his GS!
          Upon seeing that it was good, he went out again on his ZX14! But just a little bit faster!

Comment

Did my first valve adjustment a month ago. I could see right away that underside of the cam cover had been ground in places to accommodate the high-lift cams.

Engraved at the end of the intake camshaft were the numerals .515 and, of course, R.C. Engineering.

What does that figure represent?

Thanks in advance,

Jack

Comment

It's wrong to be a duration figure so perhaps it is maximum lift in inches??

Dan
              1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Originally posted by terry View Post

Also, did all the 1978 bikes run alloy rims like yours? I'd love a pair of them too, I'm not keen on the current 17 inch rim fashion, I understand the technical advantages re: fitting modern tires etc, but don't much like the look? Have a good one Jack, Cheers, Terry.
                The US had 2 models in 1978, the standard (sometimes called the C) with wire wheels and one front disc. It came in red (like Jack's) and blue (like mine)

The E model (aka Skunk) was black with a white stripe, cast wheels, 2 front discs and some other minor differences, like a 17" rear wheel

The GS1000 had standard aluminum rims, which is nice. They had standard plated spokes, which is bad. I've had both of mine converted to Buchanons SS spokes. I see spoked wheels regularly on Ebay for reasonable costs.

Jacks has an E model fork, calipers and discs mated to the wire wheel.

Beautiful bike, Jack!
                1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                2007 DRz 400S
                1999 ATK 490ES
                1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by jskellington View Post
                  Did my first valve adjustment a month ago. I could see right away that underside of the cam cover had been ground in places to accommodate the high-lift cams.

Engraved at the end of the intake camshaft were the numerals .515 and, of course, R.C. Engineering.

What does that figure represent?

Thanks in advance,

Jack
                  When you adjusted the valves, were the shims on top of the cam follower like stock ????.....In order to run higher than .400" lift cams, the 650 Kaw style cam followers with the small shim underneath MUST be used......Billy

Comment

The shims were sitting under the cam lobes, just like stock.

Comment

Working...
                    X