Spare cables

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare cables

After yet another ride home with a broken clutch cable I decided that I need to put one on the bike somewhere. I also ordered spares for throttle, choke, speedo and tach. I took the tank off (which takes 2 minutes) and zip tied them to the backbone of the frame. Now I'll have them no matter what luggage is on the bike!
    Currently bikeless
    '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
    '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

I keep thinking about that, but haven't got to it yet. It really is a quick fix when you have the right equipment ready.

Comment

I just busted a fairly new Motion Pro clutch cable on my bike. The cables strands broke off right at the cable end in the lever. Luckily, I had one strand left when I made it home. No chaffing or sharp edges on the lever, so I suspect a poorly made cable and went a bought a genuine Suzuki cable from my local dealer. It seems to be a "tougher" cable with more strands and already feels better when shifting (I just put it on today).
      One more thing, The genuine Suzuki cable came with a teflon/plastic bushing around the cable-end that seems to protect it inside the lever. The Motion Pro cable didn't have this.

Jethro, since this has happened to you a few times, can you give advice on how to ride home with a totally broken clutch cable? I know how to shift without using the clutch for the most part, but what about if you have to stop or get into first gear? Is there a trick to this?

Comment

Thats a good tip to keep in mind, so you don't get stuck.

Comment

Originally posted by ddaum

Jethro, since this has happened to you a few times, can you give advice on how to ride home with a totally broken clutch cable? I know how to shift without using the clutch for the most part, but what about if you have to stop or get into first gear? Is there a trick to this?
          I usually try to keep it in 1st and roll through the stop signs. If you have to come to a stop, just get it in neutral while you are still rolling, then when you need to go, just give a little gas and click into 1st. If you are lucky the bike will stumble forward and not stall. I also have disabled my clutch kill switch, so I can actually start my bike in 1st gear, but that is way risky for your starter clutch bolts- so avaoid that at all costs. You shear those off and you won't be able to hobble home like with no clutch.

The key is to have a spare cable with you, or a small pair of vice grips. They always, always, always break right at the barrel end at the lever, so worst case, you can clamp the vice grips on the end of the cable.
          Currently bikeless
          '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
          '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Great advice, thanks Jethro.

Comment

Working...
            X