Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HELP!! My carburetor is being impossible!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HELP!! My carburetor is being impossible!!

I dont know what to do. This is definitely not the first time I have ever had trouble getting a screw off of something. But EVERYONE of the screws for the carburetor with the exception of about 5 are not even budging!!! They are starting to strip and man is it frustrating. I am already waiting on a full stainless steel carb screw replacement kit so I could care less if these are no good but I want 'em out! How do you guys recommend I handle this or rather what should I NOT do. I am thinking about making a cut across the whole head (not too deep) and using a large flathead to get them off. I have drenched the carb all over with WD-40 and I am going to let it soak over night. [-o<
    Last edited by Guest; 07-26-2006, 09:56 PM.

You have to lay the rack on a solid bench and use an impact driver. Once they are all out replace them with Allen head screws. If you striped them so bad the screw driver slots are gone you can use a Dremel tool to cut a new one. Last resort is to drill them out.

Comment

Get a small pair of vise grips and lock them on to the screw head at a 90 degree angle in the proper position to let you rotate them counter clockwise WITHOUT damaging the carb. Once you break them free you're good to go with any driver that will fit what remains.

Comment

My past experience with stubborn carb screws

In the past if the screws won't come out, I attempt the impact driver and if that doesn't work I use my die grinder to cut a slot (being careful not to destroy the carb body). One of those will work.

You are going to replace the screws anyway!

Comment

I also used a screw extractor...worked for me...
          Try soaking it...
          If all else fails, try the hints from the other members, but..be CAREFUL!! Dont want to split the carb body, or strip it out completely. Putting it on a bench vise is a must...and so is a good steady hand

Comment

Thanks for all of the adivse it has been very helpful. I borrored a friends dremel and cut a line across the head for use with big flat head. I could only budge a few so it looks like I am going to have to use an impact driver as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Arion
              Thanks for all of the adivse it has been very helpful. I borrored a friends dremel and cut a line across the head for use with big flat head. I could only budge a few so it looks like I am going to have to use an impact driver as well.
              It is really quite safe. Use a rubber mallet instead of a metal hammer. It lessens the shock of the impact going into the soft metal carb bodies but still delivers the needed blow to make the impact driver work. This is what I have done on several carb racks now and never had an issue.

Also, I put a piece of 2x4 on the bench and put the rack on that. Again, solid enough to do what is needed but helps to absorb some of the shock so you wont crack a carb body.

Comment

Screw Extracting

Easy outs work the best go to sears and buy a set. They have 4 or 5 drill bits that match the easy outs that come with them all included in the set. Simple and fast, just drill the center, use a center punch to be accurate, then tap in the easy out and turn counterclockwise bingo its out. It helps to use a tap wrench for the job. I am rebuilding a set of carbs right now and I had 5 rail screws that hold the 4 carbs together strip right out on me. 10 minutes later I had them all out. Hope this helps.

Comment

Ok so I got all of them out using WD-40, drill, impact driver, dremel bla bla bla. Everything is cool but getting one the last screws out I knicked an end cap on the carb. OF COURSE its like the only aluminum piece of the dang thing. Its not bad just a tiny puncture/ding from when the flathead slipped off the screw, no damage to the internal components. I know where to get a replacement cap, but it doesnt come off very easily. How should I go about doing this. Also for the meantime, how bad is it to just let it be? Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                  X