No announcement yet.

Cell Phone Holder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everyone who knows me, including my friends, family, clients, and coworkers also knows that if I don't answer my phone, I'm probably riding my motorcycle.

I agree that it is often good to know that you had a call, via a vibrating alert or light, but it is a very bad idea to look at the caller ID or talk while riding.

I've seen lots of morons yapping on cell phones while riding in traffic, many while also smoking. I've never had a call that flippin' important in my life.
    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Around here(it's all about me USA), the cell phone has replaced the turn signal stalk. In reality I think the people who are the offenders were lacking in their skills before they ever were using the phone while driving.

I would like to get a mount for a radar detector though!

Comment

Originally posted by Arkaloid
        I don't use mine while riding, but having it in front of me does let me know when I get a call, and then I can stop to return it...
        Exactly what I was thinking. The vibrator on mine works well but when I am riding I never feel it.

I have no trouble safely looking at instruments on my dash while riding. No matter what they are for so this would not be an issue for me.
        I can tell you that it would need a quick release though because there is no way I would take calls on it while riding. Mainly because right now my bike is naked so there is no way a headset would work. The inside of my helmet at speed is way loud and I often have earplugs in now (don't pass out, it's true, Hoom has started using ear plugs). Still, I am often out and waiting for an important call from my family or work and would like to pull off and call them back but I cannot do that if I don't know that they called.

Jethro, I cannot believe that during the entire last weekend I didn't check out your GPS mount even once. I wanted to get a look at that and forgot. We were having too much fun I guess
        Last edited by Guest; 08-03-2006, 08:43 AM.

Comment

What's a cell phone ?? haha I bet I'm one of the few people that doesn't
          have one.

Comment

I carry my cell phone in a pocket when I ride. Preferably the inside vest pocket of my riding jacket. Sometimes I hear it, sometimes not. Sometimes I feel the vibration, sometimes not. But I wouldn't mount it on the bike, even if I wanted to talk while riding (I consider riding a perfect excuse to get away from phone calls).

For those of you who want to mount the phone on the bike, consider this scenario. The worst has happened and you have crashed. You are injured and unable to move. Your bike is laying about 10 feet from you, but it may as well be a mile away because you can't get there. Do you want your cellphone on the bike, or on you?
            JP
            1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
            1992 Concours
            2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
            2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by jpaul
              I carry my cell phone in a pocket when I ride. Preferably the inside vest pocket of my riding jacket. Sometimes I hear it, sometimes not. Sometimes I feel the vibration, sometimes not. But I wouldn't mount it on the bike, even if I wanted to talk while riding (I consider riding a perfect excuse to get away from phone calls).

For those of you who want to mount the phone on the bike, consider this scenario. The worst has happened and you have crashed. You are injured and unable to move. Your bike is laying about 10 feet from you, but it may as well be a mile away because you can't get there. Do you want your cellphone on the bike, or on you?
              John, good point. Assuming you can make a call but it increases your odds of getting timely help if it is on your person. Preferably not smashed

Comment

Originally posted by SqDancerLynn1
                What's a cell phone ?? haha I bet I'm one of the few people that doesn't
                have one.
                Espcially in CA, I was in San Fran a couple of weeks ago and it looked like everyone was glued to their cell phone. :-D

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                  John, good point. Assuming you can make a call but it increases your odds of getting timely help if it is on your person. Preferably not smashed
                  Where I carry my cellphone, if it is smashed, I either already have the answer to whether or not there is a god, or will shortly. As to whether or not I can get a signal, well, you do what you can, and hope for the best.
                  JP
                  1982 GS1100EZ (awaiting resurrection)
                  1992 Concours
                  2001 GS500 (Dad's old bike)
                  2007 FJR

Comment

Originally posted by Hoomgar
                    I'll second that. However I do wonder which pocket is best. Phone embedded in Chest/Stomach/Groin/Thigh tough choice. 8-[
                    For the record I usualy keep mine in the inside pocket of my jacket.

Comment

Saeng makes some nifty "cockpit mounts" for various motorcycle toys:
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer
                        Saeng makes some nifty "cockpit mounts" for various motorcycle toys:
                        http://www.saeng.com/cockpit.htm
                        Oooh, bookmarked for future use!
                        Currently bikeless
                        '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                        '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

To me the best part of riding is not being able to talk. I leave mine in the saddle bags and check it as needed or when i want to make a call. Bike buddy makes a great drink holder that you can out it in.

Comment

For those that want to use a cell phone while riding a motorcycle, I have a much better suggestion of where to place it.

Earl Nope, not kidding.

Originally posted by Plasterdog
                            I'll second that. However I do wonder which pocket is best. Phone embedded in Chest/Stomach/Groin/Thigh tough choice. 8-[
                            For the record I usualy keep mine in the inside pocket of my jacket.
                            All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by Plasterdog
                              Can your camera be triggered using a cable release? If so go to a camera store and get the longest one you can then rig it to the bars so that you can shoot without moving your hand. Some digi cameras come with a remote you could probably rig that too, to the bars.

As for using a cell phone on the bike...not the best idea in the world. 8-[
                              My initial problem was finding something that used 35mm and didn't shut off automatically after 10 seconds. Also needed auto focus and needed to be not too big.

I found a Yaschica Samuri half frame camera. There is no way to use a cable release on. It was only for an experiment anyway. I was interested in getting a few shots from the middle of the group riding down the road. It worked o.k, but I'm constantly buying old cameras, so I expect to find something that might work better eventually.

Anyway, after all that, the point was....The Ram mount eliminated virtualy all of the vibration from the bike. Pretty impressive.

Comment

I know, how about "On-Star" for motorcycles!! If they detect you go down, they can call the meat wagon automatically!

Comment

Working...
                                X