Cluth Drag 1979 GS850GN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cluth Drag 1979 GS850GN

I'm having a problem with 1979 GS850GN clutch dragging with handle bar lever pulled all the way in. I have put on a new cable and adjusted per the manual with no change. Still drags in first gear which stalls the engine when cold. I have tried pusing the bottom lever over to the full stop position with no cable attached and still have the same drag problem. Bike has 87,00kM. The bike has had a recent oil change with 10W40W oil and started acting up after a period of about 4 weeks of no use. Should I try lighter oil, syntehtic or take aprat the clutch and see if plates have wear or damage. Any other suggestions?

It sounds like the springs are dying of old age. Mine had the unpleasant combination of weak clutch springs and worn plates. These things happen.

I would go with new springs and plates. It's not a big job. Don't forget to replace the gasket.

If you tip the bike (gently) over to about 45- 50 degrees, supporting it with a box or similar, you don't even have to drain the oil out of the engine. Though you might have to top it up afterwards.

Big Si
    1979 GS850G

Comment

A dragging clutch is usually broken or warped plates providing that the arm and cable are adjusted properly. Take it apart and spec all the parts and also look for excessive grooving on the inner basket.

Comment

Sorry, got slip and drag the wrong way around. Check for warped plates.

Big Si
        GS 850GN

Comment

MIKEB--

Here's a few thoughts which might help you. They come from my owning a 79 GS850 since 1980.

I can tell you from experience that this bike very prone to having the problem you describe! You can help the situation by making sure that you do not overfill engine with oil. I have found that when changing oil, it's best to fill only to slightly above the lower mark on the sight glass. Then, ride bike till engine is full hot and check level. Add oil, but leave level slightly below the top mark. My experience is that if you fill to top mark when cold, it'll be too full when machine is full hot! And it'll stay that way (hot or cold!) till you burn it off or leak it out! Too much oil is what causes the clutch plates to drag when engine is cold. Also, I'd use 10W-40 oil, preferably synthetic.

Suzuki recognized the clutch drag problem in Apr 1979 and redesigned the clutch release rack so that it reduces the amount of oil fed to the clutch plates. The redesigned part # was 23165-45101 in 1979 and was put in all 79 engines starting with engine number GS850GN-109445. If you take your clutch apart, look at the clutch release rack. The new part has a 5mm oil passage at one end but a 1.2mm passage at the other end to reduce oil flow. If this describes your part, a former owner might have had the release rack replaced--and maybe you have some other problem.

On my '79 850, I always adjust my clutch when the bike is full hot and I adjust so that the clutch has smallest clearance possible--not over 1mm. You want to be aware of any change in that freeplay as you ride--especially if you ride aggressively and/or you're hard on the clutch. As long as you've got any freeplay when its hot, I don't think you'll have any problems, though. I never have!

I bought the redesigned clutch release rack but never installed it because I found I could manage the problem by attention to oil level and clutch adjustment.

Hope this helps.

Comment

Working...
          X