X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My crash story

Greetings fellow GS'ers,

I wasn't too crazy about the idea of telling my crash story at first. After talking to friends and other people it seems possible that some good may become of it. So, here is my story.
    A little background of myself is in order. At the time of the accident I was 39 yrs old, married w/ no kids, worked a factory job full time and for the state of New York in Allegany State Park part time. I rode a 1980 GS850G, and have been for 7 years. I had a GN400 before that. Everything is still the same, execpt I'm now 40.
    My fulltime job is less than a mile from home, my part time job is 23 miles from home. With gas prices what thay are, everyone can see why I would ride my bike. Other than the fact I love to do it. Having Memorial day weekend off, I worked my part time job on Tuesday May 30th 2006. It was a beaufiful day, sunny, no clouds, 80 degrees, a perfect day to be on the bike. Heading north toward home I came across a car heading south and in a turning lane, which was fine until I was about 20 yrds from the car and it turned left in front of me. Completely blocking my lane. It happened so fast, I had absolutely no time to do anything but hit the car.
    At the time of impact I was traveling between 45 & 50 mph. Upon impact, I slid forward up on the gas tank and ripped it off with my groin and leggs. Me and the gas tank flew over the car and landed in someones front yard. I rember most of this. I do not rember hitting the ground. The next thing I remember clearly is EMS personal doing what they do best(thank god). I was taken by ambulance to a LZ to be picked up by Mercy Flight(air amb.) and flown to ECMC(a local trauma center)where I spent the next 22 days recovering from: a broken pelvic, a broken right wrist, a hairline fracture of my right fibula, a destroyed right knee, and a ruptured bladder. I did luck out, I didn't get hardly any road rash. I also received massive brusing on my right side and between my leggs. I endured 3 surgries to repair everything(plates and screws for everyone). Now I'm home healing and expect to be doing so for the next 6+ months.
    The car was driven by an 18 year old girl w/ a learners permit, which requires a licensed driver to be w/ her. There was not. Of corse she stated she "didn't see me", And actually told someone at the seen that I ran into her.
    I don't know at this point if I'll ride again. I think I will. I'm going to have to borrow a bike and take a test ride to see if my head will let me ride comfortably, while still enjoying myself as well. If so, then I will be in the market for another GS something.
    If I infact do ride again, I think a modulating light or extra lights will be in order. I know first hand people are not looking out for the guy or girl on the bike, eventhough they should be. Or maybe sometime they really don't see them. There are alot of what ifs and I don't knows in my life right now, but 2 things I know for sure: 1. I'm lucky to be alive and 2. I'm happy to be able to wright this story.
    There are a few pic posted in my sig. block that show the bike. I do have a pic of the car but can't find right now. I'll post it later. If all goes well I hope to see you on the road next year. I hope my story will do some good.

Be safe & Have fun

Andy
    1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
    1984 GS1100GK
    1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
    1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
    1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

I think we all learn from other's experiences. I'm glad you survived the crash and will likely recuperate fully. I've had a few crashes, a couple serious, (not in recent years) and have tried to analyze them and what I could have done differently each time. A few days ago, I had an extreme situation with a couple of cages on a backroad. I look at it as the odds are the same every day. Whether I crash or escape doesnt change that. What does change with a confrontation or a crash is perspective. Reorganizing the mind is perhaps the most difficult. Thanks for the story. They all help.

Earl
    All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Oh.oh.oh.oh......s***

Andy:
      Good to hear from ya...thanks for sharing your story , sometimes s*** happens & all the training & experience in the world literally can't help you.
      Some instances will arise where these cagers WILL get us.
      Did the insurance company pay for all your medicals & "pain & suffering"?
      Really.... I'm hoping your OK financially & are not hocking the family jewels for meds...Can you walk sorta OK with that knee? (My wifes had half dozen knee surguries).
      If your OK and all...try out another bike (The old ones just a pure parts machine now). I think it may very well be something theraputic for ya. All the feelings of freedom & wind in the hair thing are all still there ,just waiting for you to rediscover them.
      __________________________________________Rick.... .....

Comment

Andy,

It was really difficult looking at the photos of your bike. I came away pretty lucky, with just a fender bender compared to what happened to you. I'm just really sore and hope this goes away in the next couple weeks. My bike took a rear ender pretty good with just the lighting assembly being gone and the front fender bent as I hit the car in front of me from the impact. I just can't fathom what you went thru and are going thru right now. I have lots of thoughts in my head for you man. I hope you get well soon and I hope you decide you can get back on the bike.

Peace,

Ted

Comment

Hey Andy,

Hope you heal quickly and thanks for sharing your story...it's a great reminder.

Comment

Thanks for telling your story. You were definitely a victom of motorcyclings' "deadly left". Thank goodness it didn't live up to it's name. I hope you heal well, and a judge makes the girl pay for a new bike, lost wages, pain and suffering and anything else you can squeeze her for.
            Currently bikeless
            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

Getter Better Soon

I hope you heal well and recover completely. Your story is a daily reminder of how easy it is to lose your life riding, no matter how careful and proactive we are, it's the other "person" who can change all that in a split second.

God speed on healing and recovery. I hope they learn something valuable from this. You and yours have our blessings.

Deb

Comment

Andy, the first time I saw those pictures I was shocked and amazed anyone could survive such a brutal accident. (Of course, I glad you did). But now actually hearing the story that goes along with the pics, I got a little emotional. Sometimes in the process of enjoying my sport/hobby I guess I take things for granted. Often I'm not as diligent as I should be. Your story is a reminder that there is someone out there in a car, talking on a cell phone or distracted by the kids or whatever, about to change my life.

Thanks for sharing. You have my prayers for a speedy recovery.[-o< And hopes that you get back in the saddle soon.

Tom

Comment

Andy, I've always been a firm believer of getting back on the horse. While you may ultimately decide that you don't want to put yourself back into the situation where that can happen again. It's at least worth it to try it one more time.

The 750 link in my sig shows what happened to my first GS when a drunk driver (who also said he didn't see me) decided it was okay to pull out in front of me. Like you, I don't remember much after the initial impact or hitting the ground. Unlike you, though, I was fortunate enough to escape any serious injuries. Call it devine intervention (and I'm not by any means a religious person). What made it the hardest for me afterwards was not having a bike to hop onto and prove I could do it again to myself. It was nearly 6 months before I received the insurance settlement and I was able to pic up my current ride.

The actual thought of being able to ride this bike, which I was making payments on when the accident occurred, was killing me in the interim. It didn't matter where I was, but if I heard any bike, I'd be trying to see it. Unfortunately on my maiden voyage home on my newly purchased bike, I dumped it (PO had armour-alled the tires and neglected to check their pressure) within site of my drive. It was after I had gotten it picked back up and started riding home again that I really questioned if truly wanted to be back riding. Well, I've since put 12K on the bike since and have absolutely loved every minute of it!:-D

If you do decide to give it another go, you'll notice that your senses are going to be on high alert. This is a good thing. It's always best to take something away from the accident, and learning to try and expect the unexpected can go a long way.

I'm glad you were able to let us all know what transpired with this. And I hope that you are able to at least get back on that horse. It would be regrettable if you decided you were done and later started having second thoughts. Give it time, heal, and see if it truly isn't something you want to do again. In the meanwhile, you'll still have us!:-D

Brad tt

Comment

Dang, Andy. That bike's pooched!

Glad your still alive. That musta hurt like hell to take the tank with you and waste the bars like that.:shock:

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story, Andy. I'm getting ready to start riding, and while I'm excited, I don't want to forget about what can happen. You've definitely convinced me that investing in better lighting is a must. Lately on the road I've seen bikes that have lights that almost blind me in the day time, and I only see that as a good thing.

Glad you lived to tell the story. I've been in 4 car accidents where the car was totalled and I wasn't at fault in my lifetime (only twice as a driver), and getting back into a comfort zone isn't easy, but each one made me more aware. You'll know what is right for you and when. Hope all the legal and financial fallout with this goes smoothly for you.

Comment

Andy,

Glad you survived. After my six crashes in my early days of riding, everyone I talked to, ofcourse close friends, told me I was an idiot to hop back in the saddle.

When I did hop back on I thought every on coming car was going to turn in front of me.

That took many years to overcome, but now I can't imagine life without a bike. It brings so much sheer fullfilment to me, I'd be lost without it.

One thing I've learned is anticipating worst case scenarios, however, on a spirited ride home the other day on a twisty rural road, riding about 80 percent plus, I approached a 90 degree right hander at a good clip. I did my trail braking to the apex and got on the gas. At this very moment a large MACK dumptruck was right there in the other lane. Gravel was sprinkled all over the apex, both tires lost adhesion momentarily and slid left right toward the truck. I remained calm with my arms bent until the bike regained traction.

Disaster averted. I kind of played out in my mind right after how I would have been smeared across the road, buh bye over!

I got lazy not expecting the unexpected. I'm kinda bitter at myself now for such a foolish lapse of concentration.

Thanks for sharing your story definetly makes you think about consequences of actions we all take on our bikes.
                        GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous
                          Thanks for sharing your story, Andy. I'm getting ready to start riding, and while I'm excited, I don't want to forget about what can happen. You've definitely convinced me that investing in better lighting is a must. Lately on the road I've seen bikes that have lights that almost blind me in the day time, and I only see that as a good thing.

Glad you lived to tell the story. I've been in 4 car accidents where the car was totalled and I wasn't at fault in my lifetime (only twice as a driver), and getting back into a comfort zone isn't easy, but each one made me more aware. You'll know what is right for you and when. Hope all the legal and financial fallout with this goes smoothly for you.
                          Shirley,
                          Get yourself an 8" headlight from either a 700, some of the 1100 models, or an 1150. They put out great light.

Comment

Andy, thanks for sharing the story and I hope you heal up soon. I see that situation nearly every day while riding my bike. I am constantly covering my clutch and brake levers while approaching cars in the left turn lanes around town here in Carbondale. It's a college town with a lot of the typical young female drivers yapping on their cell phones while driving instead of paying attention to the road.
                            It was very upsetting for me to look at the pictures of your bike. Just thinking that it could happen to me and my 550 is frightening. Especially after all the work and money I put into my bike.
                            Did anything happen to the girl that was out joyriding, or was it just a ticket and an insurance hike for her?
                            If that happened to me I'd be so upset at the person who hit me! If an old granny hit me and trashed my bike, I'd want her a$$ out in the garage restoring it!
                            Anyway, best of luck to you and your wife while you recover.

Comment

Woman charged in fatal July motorcycle accident

SANDUSKY - A Sandusky woman has been charged with causing the death of a Tiffin man as a result of a July 22 accident on Bogart Road east of Castalia, Ohio, the Ohio Highway Patrol said.

Bonnie B. Wiswell, 63, was charged yesterday with vehicular homicide as directed by the Erie County prosecutor's office, troopers at the patrol's Sandusky post said. She is to appear in Erie County Common Pleas Court on Monday.

Ronald G. Golden, 65, died shortly after midnight Thursday in St. Vincent Mercy Medical Center. He was driving a motorcycle east on Bogart about 11 a.m. July 22 when Ms. Wiswell attempted to turn left into a private drive from westbound Bogart in front of him.

Mr. Golden tried to stop, but hit the car, and he and his passenger, Mary L. Golden, 63, were thrown from the motorcycle, troopers said.

Two people on a second motorcycle also were hurt in the crash.

Ms. Wiswell initially was charged with failure to yield the right of way the day of the crash. She faces up to a year in prison and a license suspension of up to five years if convicted on the vehicular homicide charge, troopers said.

I subcribed to Google alerts for news stories featuring "motorcycle accident" in Canada and USA. I get 10-20 reports a DAY! I
                              m trying to learn from others, and it keeps complacency away.

Comment

Working...
                              X