Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 4121314

Thread: My crash story

M.Hayes.GS450TX Guest

I was rear ended a month ago by a kid texting driving a SUV. I was at a stop with my feet on the ground and didn't see it coming
    I had a wild ride.

Unhappy 1979 GS750E + Speed Wobble = Bad News

I've kissed pavement four times. Three of those times I bruised my ego and bike, but I survived and
    the bikes were repaired. The fourth time almost killed me. The year was 1980 and I was riding my
    new 1979 Suzuki GS750E on a cold but clear day. My riding buddy was riding a CB550 with Vetter
    fairing.

I had recently installed a Slip Stream full handlebar mounted fairing on the Suzuki. Prior to
    installing the fairing, I had taken the Suzuki to little over 100mph on a few occasions, I was
    young and immortal. It was a rush because the engine went in to hyper-drive at 6,000 rpm and that
    came out to 100mph. It was a dumb thing to do, but I was 24 and didn't think of things like
    mortality, just speed and girls.

But on this day everything would be different, after I whacked open the throttle the bike went into
    a speed wobble around 90mph. I didn't know what to do so I tried to slow down, but the wobble just
    got worse. Then I thought I might be able to speed up, straighten out and slow down, but that only
    took the speed wobble to a higher rate of speed, the speedometer was pegged and
    everything was out of control! To make the situation even worse, the road was about to take a sharp
    left turn, I was running out of time. At that point I realized I was going to die, there was nothing
    more I could do, so I said a prayer and asked that my death be quick and painless. I hit the brakes
    and at a 115mph the bike flipped up and threw me off, spun around in the air and smacked the
    pavement next to me, then it flipped up into the air once more and over the cliff it went. I
    continued to roll and slide the length of two football fields, I later learned from the police
    report.

It's crazy but when I finally came to a stop on the side of the road the very first thing I thought
    of was, how would I going to get my bike back up the cliff and repair the damage. I'm alive and
    only seconds earlier I was sure I would meet my maker and now my first thought was of the bike! My
    riding buddy watched all of this to his horror and somehow got me to lay down until help arrived. A
    few minutes later I went into shock, man that was painful. An ambulance soon arrived and took me to
    the hospital were four people held me down while the doctor poured four bottles of hydrogen peroxide
    over my wounds to clear out the rocks and glass I picked up while making love to the pavement.
    It took me two months to teach myself to walk again and I still have a few minor scars, but I
    stopped riding fast and learned to enjoy the back roads and country side from that day forward.

I remember this ad.
    It's a great picture of the bike and reminds me of those twisty roads I rode my GS750E on back in the day.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by 82Suzie; 05-17-2015 at 11:40 AM.
    1982 Suzuki GS750E
    1979 Suzuki GS750E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
    1977 HD CR1000
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400
    1974 Honda CB750

1_v8_merc Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 82Suzie View Post
    I've kissed pavement four times. Three of those times I bruised my ego and bike, but I survived and
    the bikes were repaired. The fourth time almost killed me. The year was 1980 and I was riding my
    new 1979 Suzuki GS750E on a cold but clear day. My riding buddy was riding a CB550 with Vetter
    fairing.

I had recently installed a Slip Stream full handlebar mounted fairing on the Suzuki. Prior to
    installing the fairing, I had taken the Suzuki to little over 100mph on a few occasions, I was
    young and immortal. It was a rush because the engine went in to hyper-drive at 6,000 rpm and that
    came out to 100mph. It was a dumb thing to do, but I was 24 and didn't think of things like
    mortality, just speed and girls.

But on this day everything would be different, after I whacked open the throttle the bike went into
    a speed wobble around 90mph. I didn't know what to do so I tried to slow down, but the wobble just
    got worse. Then I thought I might be able to speed up, straighten out and slow down, but that only
    took the speed wobble to a higher rate of speed, the speedometer was pegged and
    everything was out of control! To make the situation even worse, the road was about to take a sharp
    left turn, I was running out of time. At that point I realized I was going to die, there was nothing
    more I could do, so I said a prayer and asked that my death be quick and painless. I hit the brakes
    and at a 115mph the bike flipped up and threw me off, spun around in the air and smacked the
    pavement next to me, then it flipped up into the air once more and over the cliff it went. I
    continued to roll and slide the length of two football fields, I later learned from the police
    report.

It's crazy but when I finally came to a stop on the side of the road the very first thing I thought
    of was, how would I going to get my bike back up the cliff and repair the damage. I'm alive and
    only seconds earlier I was sure I would meet my maker and now my first thought was of the bike! My
    riding buddy watched all of this to his horror and somehow got me to lay down until help arrived. A
    few minutes later I went into shock, man that was painful. An ambulance soon arrived and took me to
    the hospital were four people held me down while the doctor poured four bottles of hydrogen peroxide
    over my wounds to clear out the rocks and glass I picked up while making love to the pavement.
    It took me two months to teach myself to walk again and I still have a few minor scars, but I
    stopped riding fast and learned to enjoy the back roads and country side from that day forward.

I remember this ad.
    It's a great picture of the bike and reminds me of those twisty roads I rode my GS750E on back in the day.

That's ****ing crazy man, glad you made it out alive, that's amazing!
    I used to work at NJMP tracks, and always had to work on motorcycle days. Fun, but there were usually nasty wrecks.
    I almost watched a guy die right in front of me, the bikes were coming around a sharp turn, riding in a pack, about 3 or 4 wide, at 80+mph. I suddenly see a guy get Launched Straight Up and over the other bikes, he flys off the track, and begins sliding on the dirt...he's damn near going as fast as the bikes passing him! It felt like he was sliding for miles.....well he finally stopped, but his bike didn't, bike Slammed him Directly in the head...that thing had to be moving at least 60mph. It knocked him out cold, he was carried out of a stretcher, non responsive. Lucky son of a bitch, he ended up cracking his face and skull in like 20 different places, almost choked on his own blood. He eventually recovered fully.
    And that was in Full Racing Leathers! Can you imagine these idiots on the streets riding around with No Gear!?

I wish I had back in the day, the gear we have today. I now ride with gloves that have plastic over my knuckles, jacket with elbow, back and shoulder armor and pants with Kevlar. If I had had that gear back in 1980, I'd have fewer scars today and would have spent less time in the hospital. But I lived and learned.
    1982 Suzuki GS750E
    1979 Suzuki GS750E
    1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C2
    1977 HD CR1000
    1977 Kawasaki KZ400
    1974 Honda CB750