Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, Andy. Glad you are OK. Those pics and your story was like deja-vu for me. Your bike looked alot like my GS850 after a lady took a left in front of me (back in '83). I was going about 45. Totaled her car along with my bike. Somehow I escaped serious injury. Just one big bruise from head to toe, and couldn't walk for a week. Sorry your injuries were worse.
    Those left hand turners are the worst, and hard to do anything about. My skid mark was maybe two feet long.

Hope you recover fast.

Bruce
    85 GS1150E May '06 BOM
    79 GS1000S Wes Cooley Beast

Comment

Thanks for sharing your story. It means a lot. Good luck as you continue to recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy Ricks
        Shirley,
        Get yourself an 8" headlight from either a 700, some of the 1100 models, or an 1150. They put out great light.
        thanks Billy - adding that to my notes!

Comment

What's really scary about this is that I've personally started to notice more bikes on the road this year. Hopefully something can be done to raise the awareness of new drivers. I remember when I had driver's ed. (nearly 17 years ago) and that we were given a very brief talk on motorcycles. As long as fuel prices continue to rise, there will be an evermore presence of bikers on the road. Myself, as well as Andy and others, would all like to see people recognize the fact that not all roadway users are in four-wheeled (or larger) vehicles.

Brad tt

Comment

Best of luck for a speedy & complete recovery. Having never hit the pavement myself, I can't imagine the shock and the pain, but if you love what you do, don't stop doing it. You can't anticipate everything that happens on the road, but like everyone else has already said, at least you survived to write about it. Be well.

Comment

Glad you're doing okay better Andy. I pray everyone on here takes note and spends a little more attention at those people making left hand turns. Slow down, flash your lights, change position in the lane, do something!

Comment

Good luck

Andy, glad to here you are ok after such a hard crash. We should all ride like ever other vehicle out there is trying to kill us. Your story is a wake for all of us that like to ride. Hope you recover soon and all go well for you. Best of luck!
                80 GS850GT " Are we having fun yet! "

Comment

update

Greetings to my fellow GS'ers,

I have a long post I need to apply to this thread, I'm short on time today. I will get to it soon!!

However, I do have an update. After spending the whole day having Dr. visits and X-rays, The powers that be have given me the OK to start learning how to walk again\\/. I still have a long road ahead of me. With the help of the members of the GSResource that have shown the support and careing in my time of ill repair, it will be a short trip.

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND SUPPORT.:-D IT REALLY HELPS!!

ANDY
                  1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                  1984 GS1100GK
                  1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                  1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                  1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Andy, I wish you a speedy recovery. I cant believe your bike! Glad to hear you are doing well!:-D

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850

THANK YOU ALL FOR YOUR KIND WORDS AND SUPPORT.:-D IT REALLY HELPS!!

ANDY
                      That's one of the most powerful things I've learned with our little corner of the internet. The never-ending care for our members. Heal up well and do what's best for you and yours, Andy.

Brad tt

Comment

I'm sticking this thread until Andy gets healthy once again. Watch out for those cages that are always looking to take you out with a last minute left hander. Damn, that sucks. And Andy, I wish you a speedy recovery!

--- Frank ---

Comment

Glad to see you are still with us Andy.... Since you are in my neck of the woods.......Anytime in the future you want to take a spin on the 'Tuna , I'd be happy to oblige. Get well Soon....

Comment

Checking in late, Andy but I echo everything you've "heard" already. I consider myself fortunate to have avoided any major mishaps, and your story is an added reminder to be ever vigilant. Brad was on his way home from my place when the drunk took him out, and when I found out my heart sank and I experienced a chilling, sickening feeling in my gut ... Seeing your bike brought it all back, and there is no better reminder than that. I'm sorry you had to experience such a violent crash, but I'm glad you survived and will recover!!

If there's one thing we can learn it's to never let our guard down in order to minimize the risks as much as possible. Everything in life worth doing has risks, but the odds are in our favor if we stay alert. I hope you will find the strength to get back on a bike and find enjoyment in it. I also hope your recovery is fast and as pain-free as possible!

Best Regards,

Comment

Andy,

Let me know when you are ready to try and ride again. I will load up a bike, haul it up there, and you can give it the ol' college try. I had a bad accident in '85...it took me three years before I could overcome my fears and ride again and my accident was not as bad as yours.

Hap

Comment

Been away since Friday the 4th. Glad to see your still with us Andy. The bike looks scary. I almost had the same thing happen when I was a teen only the left hand turner was behind a truck in front of her. She could not see me and I could not see her until she was across my lane! Somehow, by the grace of God, I managed to get out of it without a scratch. Looking at your bike makes me realize all over again how blessed I am. It is good to hear your going to walk again soon. Thanks for sharing your story despite the pain, it DOES help the riding community buddy! Get well soon.

Comment

Working...
                                X