Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is the first I've seen this post. I got chills (and pain in some areas) reading the story. Combined with looking at the pictures, I'd say you you are one tough guy to make it through. Ride again? Certainly your call. If it was something you loved, I would give it another go when you are ready physically and mentally. I know it was a bit shakey for me getting back on after going down (three times total, none any where near as bad as yours) but, I just sort of took my time and took it as it went.

A girl on her learners permit...unbelievable. Hopefully she goes for quite some time unable to get a license.

How "western" NY are you? I'm in Syracuse a few times a year. Maybe I could come by sometime and have a beer or something?

Comment

Andy:
      Wow!.... Sorry to learn of your accident but glad to know that you survived the ordeal and I wish you a speedy recovery. Thanks for sharing that unfortunate and painful experience. We all learn from these tragic reminders.
      All the best man, but try riding again when you are up to it, then make the decision that's right for you.
      Cheers, Cletus

Comment

Wow sorry to hear about your accident. I hope your recovery goes well and you have some hot physical therapists. That always helps.

I have a few questions about the accident but I will wait until you have more time to recover and get everything in perspective. Stay strong and you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Comment

Hope you heal quickly.

Comment

update

Hello fellow GS'ers,

Just a quick update. Its been about 3 weeks since my last post. I have ditched my walker\\/ , I still use my crutches sometimes, I can hobble around for about 3 hours or so, still working at regaining my past endurance. I am doing PT 3x per week and getting stronger by the day. I am almost ready to jump back in the saddle. My head says yes, my leg and hip tell me to waite a little while longer. I hope to try again before the snow flies. Once again thank you all for your kind words and support.

Andy
            1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
            1984 GS1100GK
            1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
            1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
            1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
              Hello fellow GS'ers,

Just a quick update. Its been about 3 weeks since my last post. I have ditched my walker\\/ , I still use my crutches sometimes, I can hobble around for about 3 hours or so, still working at regaining my past endurance. I am doing PT 3x per week and getting stronger by the day. I am almost ready to jump back in the saddle. My head says yes, my leg and hip tell me to waite a little while longer. I hope to try again before the snow flies. Once again thank you all for your kind words and support.

Andy

Since you are at the advanced age of 40, and fast coming up on total mind and body breakdown, you really must pay attention to the hip and leg.

I don't know what I would do if it happened to me at such an ancient age.:?

Let's look on the plus side: at age 40 you are approaching senility, so the past events will soon be forgotten........and you can ride like a kid again!!!:-D

From the appearance of the bike, you came out fo this fairly well. Keep up the efforts to improve your body.

The mind will get needed assistance from the GSR members. Be assured, many of us have been down that road. We may not have liked it at the time, but we still live, and we still love to ride.
              "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
              Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Great to hear you are doing well!
                Thanks for the update and speedy recovery to you!

Comment

Originally posted by ALB80-850 View Post
                  Hello fellow GS'ers,

Once again thank you all for your kind words and support.

Andy
                  Thanks for sharing with us your story.

Comment

Andy, how ya doing?

Weather is prolly getting nasty in upstate NY. Hopefully your rehab will continue over the winter. When the snow melts, maybe you'll be ready to ride again!

I want you to know I think about you every day. That's because I'm always confronted by the "left-turner" whenever I ride. Gotta stay dilligent.

Comment

Andy

How are you doing, If I remmember right you were taking a little vacation to go check ot the leaves. Hope that goes well for you. I should have called you last weekend to meet u[ I was traveling back from Youngstown solo & got stuck in Bills traffic I could have sat w/ you or sat in traffic. Feel better bud.

Pat

Comment

You can always head out my way on one of those warmer winter days and ride dirt out here, Andy! No cages at all, no trees, no rocks... well one rock, but I know right where it is... hope you're feeling better every day!

Comment

As a new rider, I don't think that I can be reminded too often of the dangers that are waiting for me when I get out on the road. Thanks for sharing your story! I'm glad you survived and I hope your recovery continues to go well!

Comment

G'day Andy

Real sorry to hear that you have endured so much pain .Hope you have a speedy recovery and wish you all the best.Hope your back out there again soon if that is the decision you make.

Cheers M8

Brenno

Comment

cheers for postin m8 - gr8 work on the rehab.... =D>

cheers

Phark

Comment

update

Greetings All,

Recovery sucks! But compared to the other option I'll take it:-D . Overall, my recovery has been good. My injuries are tending to heal slower than I prefer and have had 1 medium set back. One of the plates in my pelvis broke . The Dr. said this is typical but sooner than he would have liked to see it. He is reasonably sure all will be OK, I'll know next Friday(17th) wost case; another surgery to repair it again, best case; it will continue to heal on its own. I had to put a big slowdown on rehab due to this, But I can walk and limited lifting(under 20 lbs). The Dr. gave me the OK to exact some revenge on the local deer population(hit a deer w/ my truck last night) as long as I don't try to drag 'em. The walking on hills and in the woods will be good rehab for my legs. The injury to my wrist is great, has been released from the Dr's care. Will continue to heal for up to a year and strenghten for up to 2 years, But I can swing a hammer now and have had no real issues so far. The knee is coming along as well. I need to keep working on strengh and endurance. Four hrs. of standing or walking is about my limit right now, but getting a little better every day. I still hope to be able to get back to work in some capasity before Christmas. Well, thats about it for now. I post again next week after my Dr. visit and x-rays and let you all know whats up.

Thanks for all your support,

Andy
                                1986 GS1150ES "JUNO QUICK”
                                1984 GS1100GK
                                1982 GS1100E “RANGER”
                                1978 GS750E-"JUNO RIOT" on the road in 2013
                                1980 GS550GL complete, original, 4900 miles

Comment

Working...
                                X