No announcement yet.

Have you ever dropped your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've dropped my gs650 AT LEAST a Half dozen times, but Not In motion.
    Usually it's when I'm drunk wrenching, and moving the bike somewhere, or trying to get in position to engage the centerstand, hehe.

The only other time I dropped it, was while taking off in a small parking.

I had just installed new bars and didn't know my turning radius at slow speed....

I was parked slightly downhill, with a curb in front of me.
    So I got lazy and Only backed up a couple feet, then proceeded to cut the turn very close to the curb.

As I approached the curb , I realized how much sand was on the pavement and knew I couldn't make it, so I Slowed down and cut the front wheel
    more, so I wouldn't nail the curb.
    Well as soon as I swung the bars to the right, the ****ing RPM's JUMPED!!!

So the rear tire Spun in the sand and the bike fishtailed, so I steered Left to quickly compensate out of instinct. But I ended up grabbing and went straight for the curb.

I jumped the curb and quickly hopped off the bike, and the bike went flying into a metal-mesh fence.

Cut the ignition, picked it up and checked the throttle, and it was acting up.
    I played around with it, and it was fine again....

Lesson learned?

Always adjust your throttle nuts after a new bar install.
    And always engage the clutch and hit the Kill Switch.

And NEVER EVER ride tired!
    Last edited by Guest; 05-24-2011, 07:43 PM.

Comment

I've dropped bikes a few times. Guess I'm just clumsy.

But the last time I dropped my bike, the fall broke the clutch handle. Now, I always carry a spare clutch handle.

Comment

I've dropped a few bikes but for some reason, never managed to drop a GS.

Comment

heh. i dropped my gs500 twice. havent dropped the gs650 yet. The first time the 500 went over, I was a little drunk. I was barefoot in the driveway. Now, i decided (keep in mind, i was drunk) that i didnt want my bike on its centerstand. I wanted to put it on its sidestand. well..........i stood to the side of it, pulled her off the center stand, and over and away from me she went. i still had a hold off her, and i muscled her down gently with both feet "firmly" planted. I picked it up to find no scratches or dents or anything bent. Walked inside to by couch and started watching tv. about 15 minutes later, i noticed bloody footprints. apparently my feet slid a little across the concrete.
          The second time, well, i got peeled off by a woman on her cell phone driving an suv. I went to turn left. She was on the target road. Next thing i know, i get pinged in the shoulder by her corner light. the torsion on my body made me goose the throttle, causing the rear tire to come out from under me, but i stomped the fall out with my left foot, and slid a couple or few feet. I only scuffed the mirror on the fairing. I muscled that one down too, but with one hand ............wow....makes me sound strong. lol Im sooo not strong.
          Last edited by Guest; 06-05-2011, 03:35 PM. Reason: screwed up a sentence...nevermind the grammer or spelling

Comment

Lol, geez, if i had a nickel for every time I dropped my bike while drunk.....I'd probably have Fifty Cents.

It's always when Im wrenching in the garage at like 1am, and need to move stuff around. When im Walking a bike, I just FORGET that it can't balance itself.....haha.

I'm just like "alright gotta put this overr heereee,,ahhhh shiiitttt!", and down she goes.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
              I've dropped my gs650 AT LEAST a Half dozen times, but Not In motion.
              Usually it's when I'm drunk wrenching, and moving the bike somewhere, or trying to get in position to engage the centerstand, hehe.

The only other time I dropped it, was while taking off in a small parking.

I had just installed new bars and didn't know my turning radius at slow speed....

I was parked slightly downhill, with a curb in front of me.
              So I got lazy and Only backed up a couple feet, then proceeded to cut the turn very close to the curb.

As I approached the curb , I realized how much sand was on the pavement and knew I couldn't make it, so I Slowed down and cut the front wheel
              more, so I wouldn't nail the curb.
              Well as soon as I swung the bars to the right, the ****ing RPM's JUMPED!!!

So the rear tire Spun in the sand and the bike fishtailed, so I steered Left to quickly compensate out of instinct. But I ended up grabbing and went straight for the curb.

I jumped the curb and quickly hopped off the bike, and the bike went flying into a metal-mesh fence.

Cut the ignition, picked it up and checked the throttle, and it was acting up.
              I played around with it, and it was fine again....

Lesson learned?

Always adjust your throttle nuts after a new bar install.
              And always engage the clutch and hit the Kill Switch.

And NEVER EVER ride tired!
              Do you have to double check the work you did on the bike the next day, after a night of drunk wrenching.

Comment

Originally posted by 1_v8_merc View Post
                Lol, geez, if i had a nickel for every time I dropped my bike while drunk.....I'd probably have Fifty Cents.

It's always when Im wrenching in the garage at like 1am, and need to move stuff around. When im Walking a bike, I just FORGET that it can't balance itself.....haha.

I'm just like "alright gotta put this overr heereee,,ahhhh shiiitttt!", and down she goes.

that just made my laugh out loud. Very good stuff right there.

Comment

many moons ago my oldest son was around 4 yrs old and was in love with my little 250 enduro, he was on the front porch when i pulled off the street i thought i'd impress him with a wheelie thru the front yard when my germin shepard( who hated that bike ) decided he was gonna attack it. got the front tire in the air for about 10 feet before i saw the dog, hit the rear brake as the dog was under the bike. im slideing thru the yard while the dog and bike are flipping everywhere. kid, neighbor and wife are all screaming at the same time.wasnt the effect i hoped to have on him. him or the dog never let me live that one down...

Comment

i wish i would have read this before i was moving the concours out of its winter hibernation corner. i was of course... a little drunk. it didn't hit the ground but did hit the wall. cracked fairing and right mirror. SGI and their no fault insurance... HA! because i was honest and told the truth about what happened they want 175 bucks and 5 points on my driving record. 175 on top of my 100 deductible.

Comment

5 points? Should have told them you were drinking, you would have gotten a DUI.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by mcneilk View Post
                        i wish i would have read this before i was moving the concours out of its winter hibernation corner. i was of course... a little drunk. it didn't hit the ground but did hit the wall. cracked fairing and right mirror. SGI and their no fault insurance... HA! because i was honest and told the truth about what happened they want 175 bucks and 5 points on my driving record. 175 on top of my 100 deductible.
                        Should have told them the dog did it.

Earl
                        All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

shooooot, i wouldnt have even told my insurance about that lil oopsie. or told them you parked it outside to rearrange the garage, and one of the neighborhood kids climbed on it and knocked it over. wouldve been better than getting points on the license. That doesnt make me a bad person does it?

Comment

I actually had a no speed lay down today trying to turn around on a mixture of loose gravel and wet leaves, no damage to me or the bike.
                            sigpic2002 KLR650 Ugly but fun!
                            2001 KLR650 too pretty to get dirty

Life is a balancing act, enjoy every day, "later" will come sooner than you think. Denying yourself joy now betting you will have health and money to enjoy life later is a bad bet.

Where I've been Riding

Comment

Working...
                            X