No announcement yet.

Have you ever dropped your bike?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK here is my story,Had a gs750e that I made into a gs750s that I roag with my 65 lb black lab .Foreal ! She sat in my lap on a tank bag.
    Left the gas station up to the right and down the road that was pitched to the side that my kick stand was not hitting then the road switch camber and the stand was hitting keeping me from going strate .Going towards a curb and pols I went to pick up the stand and the bike kinda exploed to the right side of the road and sideways to the road .Rear tire is in the marbles and I spin out Iis going 35 or so mph. we ,The dog and myself spin down and stop .The dog runs to the grass and I pick myself up and check for leaks on me first then the bike. Bent bar sore but and pride. Road home
    That is it.Martin

Comment

Originally posted by MissFabulous View Post
      LOL... I just posted that link in the crash poll... had no idea it was already posted. A few gals on another forum shared that one with me a while back and at least two said they have used the method and that it works. I think some of the very smart things it says are not to be afraid to ask for help, and to remember that it could easily fall over the other direction.

I actually set up a folder in my notes and saved the whole page. I've heard plenty of stories of people coming out to their parked biked to find it laying on it's side, so I think it's a techniquew worth learning if you're of small stature (like me) because it doesn't necessarily have to be the rider who tips it.

Another bit of advice that has stuck in my head is to always carry a piece of wood to put under the side stand in case you ever get stuck parking in a soft or gravelly surface for the same reason.
      Thanks! Iwas actually given a little disc for my kickstand from a friend of mine. They really do come in handy!

Comment

The dog and myself spin down and stop .The dog runs to the grass and I pick myself up and check for leaks on me first then the bike.

Going down is one thing, but getting peed on by your dog aftrerwards REALLY sucks!

Comment

Dropped my 82 GS750TZ the first day I got it. Fell away from me as I was trying to get it on the centerstand. Like a pillock, I ran around and grabbed the frame and hauled it upright. Later that same day. Man my back is hurting.
          Spent the next nine months with sciatica. And I thought a root canal hurt.
          Found a chiropractor and within six weeks I was back on the bike.
          Fast forward several months, I was headed out for a weekend in Wisconsin and stopped to pick something up from work (bike was loaded with saddlebags etc). Tried turning the bike around in a tight space. Not successfully. This time I grabbed the handle bars (from the seat side/top of the bike) and twisted them in the opposite direction forcing the back of the wheel into the ground which pushed the bike up enough to be able to grab the back end and keep the momentum going.
          When ever I get off/on I grab the brake lever and don't let go until it's on the side stand (push backwards a little to make sure the stand is fully down)/ my butt is on the seat and both feet are on the ground.

And yeah there are only the two types: have dropped/will drop.

Comment

I have not dropped either of my current bikes but a few years back I did a really dumb thing (twice). I had a GT750 that had a windjammer on it. The only way you could lock the steering was with the front wheel pointing straight ahead. I came out of work one day and as I let the bike warm up I was talking to a coworker. I forgot to unlock the steering and you can guess what happened next. With the steering locked that way you could ride all day as long as you were going straight on turning right. I drove to the end of the parking lot stopped and as I went to turn left I started to turn and lean when I realized the steering was locked. Well it was too late. There I was in the middle of a busy street at rush hour with me rolling forward hopping on one foot till my leg gave out and the bike fell over in the middle of the street. Talk about wanting to run away. One of the auto drivers came over and helped me pick the bike up. I thanked him, unlocked the steering and went on my way. About two months later I did the same thing only this time I had gone about a mile, went to turn left and the same thing happened. Thank goodness I was able to keep the bike upright that time. I bet even thou some won't admit it most of us have dropped our bikes at least once.

Comment

Ya I have dropped my bike. I just bought the intruder and I didn't even have it a day and I was driving to work and actually pulling into the driveway with it. It went from blacktop to gravel. When I hit the gravel I overdid the front brake and down the bike went. Embarrassing but I learned a valuable lesson that day.

Comment

dropped the 700 while pulling out of the driveway at work. Took off the choke too soon and just as I was pulling away turning onto the road and lifting my feet it stalled. I lowered ti fairly easy but then due to embarrassment I tried to lift it up while still straddling the bike laying on it's side, DUMB idea . It's funny how pride overcomes common sense in those situation.

Comment

noway

nuahahh

never ever

not once ffs...:shock:

why do you ask - what are people sayin ????

Comment

Originally posted by Pharkmeh View Post
                    noway

nuahahh

never ever

not once ffs...:shock:

why do you ask - what are people sayin ????
                    It's ok Phark, none of us will laugh at you if you...well, Ok some will, well, :-D

Comment

My 400, no. The handful of times I've sat on it that is. It's not terribly heavy.

However, I did drop Nerobro's '80. "Have a seat", he said. "Put the kickstand up." I was almost completely off it, lost a bit of balance since his seat is on the verge of being too wide for me, and down it went. Just the handlebar onto skreemer's rear tire so simply a crack in the rearview mirror.

Then last Saturday while practicing starting / stopping I nearly dropped it properly. I caught it for the most part with my right foot, but he included some much needed help when he grabbed the left handlebar. This would be why he stays nearby while I practice like a good teacher should.

Comment

Dropped mine recently. All loaded up with tank bag and a waterproof duffle with tent, sleeping bag and clothes for a weekend at the Mid-Ohio AMA Vintage Days. Seem obvious now but I hadn't noticed how top-heavy the bike was with all the stuff strapped on.

I stopped at an stop sign on a slightly off-camber road a couple of miles from home and the bike started to tilt. It was like slow motion. I thought I had it but it kept tipping. Next thing I know it's on it's left side with the horn blowing. How embarrasing. No serious damage to the bike but my ego is still hurting.

Comment

Mud Bog GS

This was several years ago, but it was on the GS850.

I was headed to a state park to stake out a campsite early on a Friday afternoon. I just had a few lightweight odds and ends on the bike -- just enough "stuff" to make a campsite look occupied until I returned with my wife and nieces. It one of those bright, sunwashed days that seem all the more luminous because they follow a solid week of rain.

I rounded a back roads curve, and saw that the road ahead had been, well, removed. In its place was a barricade, and a nicely graded gravel roadbed, ready for asphalt on Monday. No one was around, and there was no machinery parked nearby.

Detouring would have added another 30 minutes to a quick two hour trip, and I didn't have the time or patience for that. I stopped for a second to make sure I was alone and to make sure there weren't any deep holes on the roadbed, but everything checked out.

As it turned out, what appeared to be graded gravel was actually a thin layer of the stones left when a pile of mud is gently washed by steady rain for several days.

As soon as I entered, I knew things weren't what they appeared to be. By gearing down, gunning the throttle, and standing up, I slithered and fishtailed a good 60 feet into the quagmire. Finally, my front fender packed solid with mud and the rear wheel buried itself nearly to the axle. Unfortunately, the mud was not quite thick enough to hold up the bike, and when I stepped off, I sunk in nearly to my knees. My nice clean GS fell on its left side with a wet "ploop". The handlebar didn't even turn -- the left handgrip simply buried itself a foot into the soup.

Worse, I had only made it about a third of the way through the mud before my dismount. But I'm no quitter. By slogging along beside the bike on foot and gunning it in first gear, I managed to make it to dry pavement on the other side. I made a complete mess out of the nicely graded roadway in the process, but I had a feeling they would be regrading anyway if it ever dried out enough to use machinery.

There were no witnesses aside from a few unhealthy looking cattle. I got a strange look checking into the campground, but other than a couple of hours spent washing and picking sticky mud out of every crevice on the left side of my GS850, there was no damage and no consequences.
                          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I've dropped it hard and gentle. The worst time is when I pulled off the road to where my buddy Sean was parked and the sand stopped my tires quick, but the top of the GS was still in motion, so I basically high-sided into his ZRX. Good thing he is a kind natured person, I would have gone ballistic if it were me.
                            Currently bikeless
                            '81 GS 1100EX - "Peace, by superior fire power."
                            '06 FZ1000 - "What we are dealing with here, is a COMPLETE lack of respect for the law."

I ride, therefore I am.... constantly buying new tires.

"Tell me what kind of an accident you are going to have, and I will tell you which helmet to wear." - Harry Hurt

Comment

I dropped my dads honda cbr1000f trying to take it off the center stand for the 1st time, i pucked that 600lbs sucker up in 5 seconds and i was down for the rest of the night.

I've dropped my klr about 5 times now, wayy top heavy and tall. Havent had a chance to drop the 1100e

Comment

lol - havent actually dropped it yet - but Im sure its only a matter of time...

the first week I owned it I was pulling away hard racin a cager when the starter clutch chit it self.... big chunks of metal n stuff grinding in the case somehowlocked the back wheelup...

I heard the horrible noise and was backing down from about 100kph - but I was still doin mebe 70kph when it locked and the back end started wiggling its ar$e off....

I run it off the road into a small grassy ditch before it pulled up...

didnt go down - but those undies were neva worn agin....:shock:

Comment

Working...
                                X