Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RS40 Flatslides on GS1100E Fitment and is it Overkill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

RS40 Flatslides on GS1100E Fitment and is it Overkill?

I have the opportunity to pick up a pair of RS40 Flatslides and I wanted to know whether they will fit a 1982 GS1100E. I have a set of RS36 Flatslides on my Katana 1000 now and they fit fine. Are the RS40 bellmouths bigger in diameter? Also, would they be overkill on the GS1100E?

When I was running stock pistons and cams I tried both 36 and 38 flatslides. The 38's were way too big. I had alot of bog problems if I wacked the throttle open really hard. The 36's were even a tad on the big side. I never tried them, but would think 34's would be perfect for a totally stock 1100 motor. That being said I would think you would hate 40's.

Comment

Thanks for Your Input

Nice bikes you've had and a nice website. I'll probably hit you up for some pointers later on as I work toward building both of my bikes to be faster.

Comment

The 40's are going to be too much carb for a stock engine.

Comment

Without any mods you will go incredibly slower. I've been fighting to get my 40's to work well for awhile. I think you'll need more than the stock delivery system (ie. Pingel petcock). I do know you can empty the fuel bowls. I'm currently trying out the Pingel and doing a few jet changes but I will be changing to 38's next week after I try a few more things with the 40's.

Comment

yes 40's are too big..If you get a good deal on them pick them up and trade for smaller 34 or 36mm flatslides.
            EULC ON

Comment

Well that answered my question, I've got a set of 34mm RS Flatslides for my GS1000S (with 72mm GS1100 pistons) and I wondered if they were too small, but it appears from your replies that they'll be fine? Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Thanks for the Replies

Nice family Rob, thanks to everyone for their input. I'll stick with the RS36 carbs for the bike. I plan on doing just some mostly minor tweaking, RS36 carbs, port and polish, replacing the already aftermarket exhaust (beat up V&H) and maybe a Pingel petcock and a Dyna ignition system. Maybe later on some cams. The bike is already fast, with all this it should be plenty fast enough for me. When all that is done maybe I'll go for the big bore 1166 kit and try the RS40s. I'd like to be able to spank those Tupperware bikes.
                Last edited by Guest; 10-12-2006, 11:08 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Guyver View Post
                  Nice family Rob, thanks to everyone for their input. I'd like to be able to spank those Tupperware bikes.
                  We all would mate, but those "tupperware" bikes have big tough powerful engines full of modern technology, handle like GP bikes, and their brakes are so powerful they can haul those bikes down from warp-speed in half the distance that we can.

My first GS1000 made 140 BHP at the wheel, and was scary fast in a straight line, but still suffered from 1970's frame and brake technology, so I was regularly "spanked" by GSXR's and 'Blades etc, in the twisties.

Enjoy your bike for what it is, or you'll only be disappointed when you spend all that money, and still get spanked. Cheers, Terry.

Comment

Hey Guyver you bidding on those RS36's on E-Bay? They're just a few miles from me. I was scoping on 'em but I think the cash needed for them is going to go out of my disposable income limits.

Comment

Yep, that's me

I picked up a solid set complete with the push/pull throttle assembly two or three months ago for my Katana 1000 for $415.00 shipped. I'd like to put a set on my GS1100E and see how they do. I was hoping nobody would notice them and I'd get them for less than $100.00. No such luck though. If they go for around $200.00 to $250.00 they are still worth it. ~Gene

Comment

Yeah, I got my 40's for 200 and the 38's for 350. I don't know if I'll get rid of the bigger ones or not but after this next week of seeing if I can get them working better I'm going to work with the 38mm carbs. If those don't work out then I'll look for the RS36's. The RS38 models show that they will work with a modded 1100 so I'm actually anxious to try them out. The RS40's worked better with the stock head and cams and I was puzzled until I finally upjetted them from the suggested sizes I was told to jet them at originally. The bike was running so bad a few weeks ago I almost shoved it off a cliff (no kidding). Also I made needle adjustments and now the Pingel. They have real good response now and top end after 6k pulls pretty hard. Midrange is a bit soft though. I feel there's more to be had. Hence the reason for the switch to a smaller set. Good luck getting that set and no I didn't bid on them nor will I. Actually if they would have stayed lower I'd have been getting ready for a snipe but I fear they may get out there in the price. :sad:

Comment

Welp, outta range

The RS36s went for nearly $300.00, which was a bit much I thought for the damage to the bellmouth they had. Ah well, another set will come along. ~Gene

Comment

Yup 3 bills is starting to get a bit high when you can't try them out first with that kind of damage. I thought if they went cheap it'd be worth the try but at whatever it would've took to out bid the guy that got them it could've been pretty pricey. Good call I would've done the same and yes there are more to be had out there.

Comment

:-D I have been using a set of the later model GSXR flat slide CV carbs on my GS 1100 . All I can say is holy crap they respond off idle like nothing I've ever seen LOL!!! 8-[

Comment

Working...
                              X