No announcement yet.

2 regulators installed? Why me

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, everyone seems pretty committed to the SH775. I can take a hint, so I will order one of those. What is the best source? Can I trust ebay?https://www.ebay.com/itm/OEM-Can-Am-...-/264299910154

If the consensus is "dont connect the RR to the wiring harness or ignition wires like the stock system", then what the heck do I do with those wires that were cut into by the previous well intended folks. It sure doesnt look like I can just bullet them back together and turn the key - see vids.

Also, what does everyone use on the sh775 to connect to wires, this thing:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Connecto...e/263909479948
    1979 GS 1000e
    1967 Triumph Bonneville
    1986 Honda VFR 750
    2014 Indian Vintage
    2015 KLR 650
    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
    And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by open1mind View Post
      Also, what does everyone use on the sh775 to connect to wires, this thing:https://www.ebay.com/itm/1x-Connecto...e/263909479948
      Left and right are different connectors, so you need the black one also.

i bought these 2 FURUKAWA QLW connectors from Auto-Click.

https://www.auto-click.co.uk/QLW-A-3F-GR and
      FURUKAWA QLW-A-B3F-B / QLW-3F-B / QLW 250 Includes terminals and seals 3 Way automotive connector We ship worldwide daily, and you can pay safely with PayPal Fits Shindengen SH775, FH020, FH012, FH011, FH010, and FH009 Series Rectifier/Regulators.
      Last edited by Rijko; 02-09-2020, 08:59 PM.
      Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
      VM Carb rebuild tutorial
      Bikecliff's website
      The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

Thanks
        looks like these guyshttps://www.ebay.com/itm/FURUKAWA-CO...0/253394294974
        1979 GS 1000e
        1967 Triumph Bonneville
        1986 Honda VFR 750
        2014 Indian Vintage
        2015 KLR 650
        2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
        2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
        2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
        And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Can I trust ebay?
          NO, lots of fakes around.

I think that is the best source for a new one.
          I have bought 2, seller is great at communicating.

What may be of interest : seller made a mistake on the customs declaration,
          which cost me extra on import charges.
          The seller immediately responded, and offered to refund the amount
          i had lost, and did.

Just saying, stand-up seller as far as i am concerned.
          Rijk

Top 10 Newbie Mistakes thread

CV Carb rebuild tutorial
          VM Carb rebuild tutorial
          Bikecliff's website
          The Stator Papers

"The thing about freedom - it's never free"

Comment

It's a bit hard to tell from your videos which are the stator wires. It appears to be the ones coming from the shrink wrap on the left.

So, never ever take your bike back to the shop that did this.

Check for corrosion in your entire system, including the switches, especially the ignition switch

Then, revamp the wiring as needed. I recently switched to a 775 to resolve some issues. I just ran some jumper wires from the harness to the R/R
            Last edited by Big T; 02-09-2020, 09:26 PM.
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Triumph sells an adapter harness for installing a SH775 that costs about $10. Google search will turn up the number or search here.

I've got a good clean used SH775 that has been tested that's cheaper than that new one. Of course, nothing wrong with new parts.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

wow, open1mind. I'm astounded to see such a mess ..maybe I'm missing something in their logic but I don't think I'd puzzle long over what that could be...

Still, that doesn't mean those R/Rs are knackered. Possibly one by itself will work fine. twisted wires and electrical tape will do to test...but do attach those ground wires to a clean spot...

then, or really before the above, Check the AC output of your stator first(60-80VAC on each leg and very near the same on each) . If that's ok, I'd wire one of those in and see if you get charging voltage at the battery ....

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Triumph sells an adapter harness for installing a SH775 that costs about $10. Google search will turn up the number or search here.
                  Or you can wait until that "Steve" guy shows up and give you the number.

T2500676

sigpic
                  mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                  hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                  #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                  #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                  (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So, never let it be said that I am too stubborn to take advice.
                    SH 775 ordered and on the way
                    Triumph connector ordered, hopefully will ship soon.
                    Some extra wire, bullet connectors, and battery terminal ring connectors either on hand or ordered
                    I will connect in the stator directly (not into the harness) per the coaching and diagrams offered up in this thread.

If the stock set up was still in place, I would have little/no anxiety about installing the new stator and RR. I DO have anxiety about removing the connections from the two RR's into the harness and getting those connections back in good order. This is going be an Advil day once I tackle it over the weekend.

I will post some pics once I start disconnecting the offending components. That will probably include some frustrated questions about the harness and getting it back together smoothly.

Thanks to all
                    1979 GS 1000e
                    1967 Triumph Bonneville
                    1986 Honda VFR 750
                    2014 Indian Vintage
                    2015 KLR 650
                    2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                    2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                    2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                    And so on...

sigpic

Comment

While you are waiting, feel free to remove the two R/Rs. I still have my doubts about them both being R/Rs, though. Not sure if your bike is one of them, but some of the earlier bikes had separate R/ and /R, that is Rectifier and Regulator. The stock rectifier looks a lot like the combo R/R units of later years.

Just strip it down to basics. Leave the three stator wires flapping in the breeze. I have chosen to put mine in a 3-pin connector, others like to use individual spade connectors or even solder. Remove your two "devices". You should have a red wire that is fed by at least one of them. That wire is likely just ahead of the fuse box area, just behind the airbox. When you install your 775, connect the output to that red wire. Use whatever means necessary to route the three stator wires to the inputs. Make sure the ground is connected via whatever scheme you have chosen. The "single point" ground makes sense, as all the power and grounds go through just two common points. It is recommended to NOT connect straight to the battery.

It only looks like a mess now. Remove all the mess, you will see how simple it really is.

sigpic
                      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                      Family Portrait
                      Siblings and Spouses
                      Mom's first ride
                      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes, the 79 has the separate regulator and rectifier.
                        The Suzuki module is the stock regulator
                        1978 GS 1000 (since new)
                        1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
                        1978 GS 1000 (parts)
                        1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
                        1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
                        1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
                        2007 DRz 400S
                        1999 ATK 490ES
                        1994 DR 350SES

Comment

79 GS1000 SH-775 Modification with SPG

GS1000_SH775Mods.jpg

Comment

Close up of just the R/R area.

GS1000_SH775Mods2.jpg
                            (sorry for the crazy formatting inserted from WORD)
                            Summary:
                            1. For a conversion from the original separate Regulator and rectifier you want to remove or otherwise ignore any wiring not listed below. This is the circuitry shown covered with the transparent light blue boxes.
                            2. You should be aware of the basic flow of current:

• Heavy RED wire from the battery at BAT(+) to the main fuse location in the fuse box.
                            • 14 AWG RED from main fuse output to the “T” and on to the ignition switch

• 14 AWG ORANGE from ignition switch to fuse box for power distribution.
                            • None of the above should be modified

• Keep track of the RED wire that disappeared into the harness from the original #4 rectifier. This is now fed from the new SH-775 labeled R/R(+)
                            • 3. New wires to ensure the grounding is correct:

• A1/A2 – Bat(-) Run a wire from the negative battery terminal to the SPG (wire shown in light blue double line)

• B1/B2 – B/W(-) Ring lug. This is HARNESS ground and how the B/W ground wire currents return to the R/R(-). If the B/W with ring lug will not reach to you SPG location then you need to i.) Extend it to the SPG or ii.) Ground it to the frame (not preferred). (wire shown in light blue double line)

• C R/R(-)wire to SPG. SH775 ground through the SH-775 connector to the SPG (make this a 14 AWG wire less than 1 foot long. (wire shown in light blue double line)

• D FRAME ground to SPG. (wire shown in light blue double line)

• SPG can be literally located anywhere as long as it is within the 1 ft length of the R/r(-) wire C but not located at the battery(-)

• “T” is buried in the harness at the RED DOT.

• R/R(+) this is the remaining RED wire coming from your harness that went to the original #6 REG in the schematic. (shown as a dashed RED line)

1. 4. STATOR WIRES:

• 3 STATOR should be run direct to the SH-775 R/R without regard for any of the original wiring.
                            Last edited by posplayr; 02-12-2020, 12:33 AM.

Comment

Thanks

That will take some strong coffee and some study before I start surgery...
                              1979 GS 1000e
                              1967 Triumph Bonneville
                              1986 Honda VFR 750
                              2014 Indian Vintage
                              2015 KLR 650
                              2019 Yamaha Tracer GT
                              2021 Yamaha Tenere 700
                              2023 Triumph Tiger 1200
                              And so on...

sigpic

Comment

Thanks

That will take some strong coffee and some study before I start surgery...
                                Basically you shoudl start pulling back the electrical wrapping and follow the wires under the blue boxes. The wires will either go back to one of other of the R/R's or will disappear deeper into the harness. The only one to be concerned about is the RED indicated by the DASHED RED line.

The headlamp loop wires will be left as spare coming from the harness. There are unpowered when you run the stator direct to the SH-775.

The long run or RED and ORANGE wire is to show you how the battery voltage comes through the main furs, goes to teh "T" and then routes through the ignition switch before coming back to the distribution fuses n the fuse box. This is shown in my simplified diagram marked up from another factory diagram.

Go one wire at a time and go down the list.

As a safety check before you power anything up, run you ohm meter between the main battery terminals connector (NOT ACROSS THE BATTERY). You should have 10's of ohms of resistance and if so there is no short and you can safely hook up the battery.

If you want either the manual where i got the schematic or the powerpoint file where i modified it PM me your email address.

Comment

Working...
                                X