No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah but the labor for that would be far past the $75 for a replacement which is on the way, no? You can't get anyone to look at you for less than a couple hundred bucks around here.

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
    oldGSfan,that crack in the crankcase around the cylinder stud looks like it needs a repair with Tig welding and then carefully smooth-over it to give it some cosmetic restoration.
    Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
    '79 GS100E
    Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
      Yeah but the labor for that would be far past the $75 for a replacement which is on the way, no? You can't get anyone to look at you for less than a couple hundred bucks around here.

Oh,you found a direct replacement? Excellent

Comment

Heated up the block from a 88-90 GSX1100F and dropped the sleeves. This winter the sleeves and pistons will be going into the GS1150efe, 1260cc should give me a respectable boost in hp and ft lbs.
        1979 CBX, AW440 Maico, GS1150EF

Comment

It means a lot to him as it was his father's. He's not doing for resale. I'm hoping he'll adopt me as he has no kids.
          I call "shotgun"!
          1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

I got a GS1000E front fork cover that is mangled on one end off eBay for $5 and had a try at repairing it. Even the halfway decent ones that were much more $ didn't look so great. Making progress building out the corner that was chewed off and sanding it back. There are some pinholes to fill but the method works really well. From the Web I found the tip to use shavings of ABS mixed with acetone until dissolved, then brush it on. New to me and it's basically free and works.

I took a spare piece of ABS pipe I had from plumbing and drilled it repeatedly to get the curly Q shavings, mixed till milkshake thickness, then brushed on. I put some masking tape behind the corner bend and dripped it on. It's cured strong and I think it will look fine. The ends are covered by reflectors so I am not sure I'll bother with that area. I'll spray it with bumper and trim paint once smooth and see how that goes, then do the silver on the raised bits. Will post pics of finished job in case there's any interest. This method would seem to be good for broken side cover tabs if they are ABS, but I'm not sure

As bought:

Work in progress:
            Last edited by oldGSfan; 07-16-2021, 07:36 PM.
            Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
            '79 GS100E
            Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Finally installed a speed healer on the FZ1. It's nice to see 70 when I'm going 70 instead of seeing 80.
              Current Bikes:
              2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

After a year of baking in the hot desert sun and being virtually unused, my F350's windshield wipers needed replacing. With recent rain showers, every auto parts place in town seemed to run out of wipers. I finally found both a 22" and 24" at WalMart and last night decided to swap them out. Standing on a stool holding a flashlight, I proceeded to change them and got a surprise.

Some knucklehead returned his old worn out wipers to the store. Another knucklehead put them back on the shelf. Now, having purchases this second hand crap, I feel like a real stooge. The same thing happened with an air filter a while back, but at a different store. Hopefully I can find the reciept and return them like I did the air filter. Very frustrating!
                Roger

Current rides
                1983 GS 850G
                2003 FJR 1300A
                Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Top Tip: When fitting either a different wheel or new discs, always remember to bed the pads in.
                  That way you won't be wondering why your brakes are crap as you approach the bend.
                  ---- Dave
                  79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                  79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                  92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                    After a year of baking in the hot desert sun and being virtually unused, my F350's windshield wipers needed replacing. With recent rain showers, every auto parts place in town seemed to run out of wipers. I finally found both a 22" and 24" at WalMart and last night decided to swap them out. Standing on a stool holding a flashlight, I proceeded to change them and got a surprise.

Some knucklehead returned his old worn out wipers to the store. Another knucklehead put them back on the shelf. Now, having purchases this second hand crap, I feel like a real stooge. The same thing happened with an air filter a while back, but at a different store. Hopefully I can find the reciept and return them like I did the air filter. Very frustrating!
                    I had this happen once recently but what made it even worse was the joker kept the attachment I needed for the wife’s car. I made sure to stress the store wouldn’t want to put them out again but I’m afraid they did anyway
                    sigpic
                    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's
                    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Not wrenching on it yet but my wife came home from visiting a friend and said "she's got an old motorcycle from her uncle that's been sitting a long time in the garage and wants to get rid of it". I checked the pics she took, and it's a Bultaco 370, blue so I think it's a Frontera. Fingers crossed, I'll go see it ASAP.
                      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
                      '79 GS100E
                      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Not wrenching on it yet but my wife came home from visiting a friend and said "she's got an old motorcycle from her uncle that's been sitting a long time in the garage and wants to get rid of it". I checked the pics she took, and it's a Bultaco 370, blue so I think it's a Frontera. Fingers crossed, I'll go see it ASAP.
                        What a wife!
                        1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

EZ work today, minor cosmetic

Decided to finally black bomb some chrome parts, because they detract from the aluminum parts.

"Only fe' collected the old way, has any value." from His Majesty O'Keefe (1954 film)
                          1982 GS1100G- road bike, body, seat and suspension modded
                          1990 GSX750F-(1127cc '92 GSXR engine) track bike, much re-engineered
                          1987 Honda CBR600F Hurricane; hooligan bike, restored

Comment

Finally found out why, and fixed it, this FZ1 would periodically just die on me and was a bit hard starting. I knew it was losing spark but wasn't sure why until I finally searched for it in the FZ1OA forum and it's common with these gen 1 bikes. Apparently the ignition switch gets dirt and grime down inside and it interrupts signal getting to the igniter. So, after flooding the key hole with WD40 over and over until it started coming out the bottom clean and after the key started coming out clean, it seems to be cured. And, it also seems to be running better and definitely easier to start. Hasn't died on me yet after about 4 hours of riding time. I like these inexpensive fixes.
                            Current Bikes:
                            2001 Yamaha FZ1 (bought same one back)

Comment

Originally posted by ddaniels View Post
                              flooding the key hole with WD40
                              WD also makes an electric contact cleaner spray
                              82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by Buffalo Bill View Post
                                Decided to finally black bomb some chrome parts, because they detract from the aluminum parts.

I like your 1000G model;what brand fairing does it have ?

Comment

Working...
                                X