Why are CBs and KZs the popular ones.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why are CBs and KZs the popular ones.

Whenever I'm scrolling on Instagram looking at suggested pages I always see photos of honda CBs and Kawasaki KZs, original or cafes that's the bunch of what I see. I get happy when i see a GS on a suggested page photo, and I've noticed that pages from the middle east seem to enjoy the GS alot.

Now I didnt live back in the day, so I dont know how it was back then, but I know that at least on social media the KZ and especially the CB steal the thunder.

Does this all have to relate with Honda having the first affordable four cylinder and Kawasaki bringing out the Z soon after?

Note: there was a German I believe who made a 4 cylinder bike before honda, looked very short and stubby and was a wheelie machine i assume, one of the photos of it is the front wheel being up. It was not a normal consumer bike though.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Honestly I'm not even mad, it keeps the GS at a good price, and they handle well.
    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
    1982 XS650

Comment

I would say you nailed it because that's what I thought even before I read your view on why - the CB750 and Z1 just left such a huge mark. They were watershed bikes and the GS trod the same path, but as we know they are better!

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
      Whenever I'm scrolling on Instagram looking at suggested pages I always see photos of honda CBs and Kawasaki KZs, original or cafes that's the bunch of what I see. I get happy when i see a GS on a suggested page photo, and I've noticed that pages from the middle east seem to enjoy the GS alot.

Now I didnt live back in the day, so I dont know how it was back then, but I know that at least on social media the KZ and especially the CB steal the thunder.

Does this all have to relate with Honda having the first affordable four cylinder and Kawasaki bringing out the Z soon after?

Note: there was a German I believe who made a 4 cylinder bike before honda, looked very short and stubby and was a wheelie machine i assume, one of the photos of it is the front wheel being up. It was not a normal consumer bike though.
      Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
      '79 GS100E
      Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Originally posted by oldGSfan View Post
        I would say you nailed it because that's what I thought even before I read your view on why - the CB750 and Z1 just left such a huge mark. They were watershed bikes and the GS trod the same path, but as we know they are better!
        Maybe it's because suzuki brought out the GS right before the 80s, and people wanted to forget the 80s.

All jokes aside i probably did hit the nail on the dot with my reasoning but knowing about the katana being a huge thing, I would think its predecessor may get some recognition. Probably not how the autoworld works though that's why a mk3 toyota supra Is 5 grand while a mk4 is 50.
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

The big Kat had impact but not sure sales followed. I sure miss mine! I still can't believe I sold an '82 Katana and '82 GPz1100, my two dream bikes. But I was moving overseas thinking I'd never return. Yet here I am back. Viva the 80's ... early 80's anyway. Bikes anyway...

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
          Maybe it's because suzuki brought out the GS right before the 80s, and people wanted to forget the 80s.

All jokes aside i probably did hit the nail on the dot with my reasoning but knowing about the katana being a huge thing, I would think its predecessor may get some recognition. Probably not how the autoworld works though that's why a mk3 toyota supra Is 5 grand while a mk4 is 50.
          Tom

'82 GS1100E Mr. Turbo
          '79 GS100E
          Other non Suzuki bikes

Comment

Ian, there were lots of 4 cylinder bikes 100 years ago, Indian being the best of them
            In the 50/60s, Gilera and MV had 4s. Kawasaki essentially copied the Gilera 500 to make the Z1
            1978 GS 1000 (since new)
            1979 GS 1000 (The Fridge, superbike replica project)
            1978 GS 1000 (parts)
            1981 GS 850 (anyone want a project?)
            1981 GPZ 550 (backroad screamer)
            1970 450 Mk IIID (THUMP!)
            2007 DRz 400S
            1999 ATK 490ES
            1994 DR 350SES

Comment

Originally posted by Big T View Post
              Ian, there were lots of 4 cylinder bikes 100 years ago, Indian being the best of them
              In the 50/60s, Gilera and MV had 4s. Kawasaki essentially copied the Gilera 500 to make the Z1
              Oof I forgot about the Indian 4! And dont know much about the beginning of motorcycles, I know there were MANY companies following the new motorized bicycle.

Gotta learn about before the UJM bikes and 2 strokers.
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

The big Kat had impact but not sure sales followed. I sure miss mine! I still can't believe I sold an '82 Katana and '82 GPz1100, my two dream bikes. But I was moving overseas thinking I'd never return. Yet here I am back. Viva the 80's ... early 80's anyway. Bikes anyway...

Those are two beautiful bikes, they're both so nice I couldn't favor over one based off their looks! Theres a guy here with a gpz900r, I wish he'd pull the dang tarp off it and let me nerd out over it.
                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                1982 XS650

Comment

In the KZ world it's mostly the 900 & 1000 that have the rabid popularity. The smaller bikes are like GS's in that they are not nearly as popular.
                  Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Honda was, of course, first to market in many categories (not just four cylinder bikes), and the first to demonstrate that motorcycles could be reliable and keep their oil on the inside. Their marketing was extremely well done, and I think the name "Honda" was also a factor; it's simple and doesn't sound nearly as "alien" or obviously Japanese as the others. Honda opened the door for the rest.

Kawasaki, of course, focused on developing the reputation for engine performance. Not just the KZ, but the insane two-stroke models as well. They were quite a bit behind in handling, including some infamous faults, but quite a few people didn't care about anything but quarter-mile times. Bold styling also played a large part for Kawasaki and Yamaha as well; people don't buy motorcycles to blend in.

Suzuki was the first to get all the basics of handling right. Frame construction, geometry, and ergonomics were light-years beyond the competition for several years. Styling wasn't as "in your face" as Kawasaki and Yamaha and they were perceived as a step behind on power as well for a while. Any doofus can yank a throttle open, but the advantages of ergos and handling were completely lost on a lot of people.

So anyway, I think those market positions from the '70s and '80s explain a lot of the lingering differences in appeal. If you were in high school in 1974 or so, you had a poster of the Z1 on your wall. That's the kind of thing that sticks.

Fast forward 30 or 40 years, and we find that Suzuki's GS models are extremely reliable, with far better handling and ergonomics than other vintage bikes. Once sorted out with a few basic upgrades, a GS can be flogged mercilessly for years and years, and is a joy to ride and live and travel with. Sure, modern bikes are more powerful and handle a little better, and ABS is a game changer. But if you know what you're doing, you give up very little in spirited street riding, reliability is just as good or better (and repairability is definitely better), and the ergonomics are far superior to almost any modern era motorcycle.

In all my experience, I've seen for an absolute fact that GS owners ride much further and faster than KZ and CB owners. There may even be more restored CBs and KZs on the planet, but I will guarantee that we are wearing out far more of the side treads of far more tires.
                    1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                    2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                    2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                    Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                      Honda was, of course, first to market in many categories (not just four cylinder bikes), and the first to demonstrate that motorcycles could be reliable and keep their oil on the inside. Their marketing was extremely well done, and I think the name "Honda" was also a factor; it's simple and doesn't sound nearly as "alien" or obviously Japanese as the others. Honda opened the door for the rest.

Kawasaki, of course, focused on developing the reputation for engine performance. Not just the KZ, but the insane two-stroke models as well. They were quite a bit behind in handling, including some infamous faults, but quite a few people didn't care about anything but quarter-mile times. Bold styling also played a large part for Kawasaki and Yamaha as well; people don't buy motorcycles to blend in.

Suzuki was the first to get all the basics of handling right. Frame construction, geometry, and ergonomics were light-years beyond the competition for several years. Styling wasn't as "in your face" as Kawasaki and Yamaha and they were perceived as a step behind on power as well for a while. Any doofus can yank a throttle open, but the advantages of ergos and handling were completely lost on a lot of people.

So anyway, I think those market positions from the '70s and '80s explain a lot of the lingering differences in appeal. If you were in high school in 1974 or so, you had a poster of the Z1 on your wall. That's the kind of thing that sticks.

Fast forward 30 or 40 years, and we find that Suzuki's GS models are extremely reliable, with far better handling and ergonomics than other vintage bikes. Once sorted out with a few basic upgrades, a GS can be flogged mercilessly for years and years, and is a joy to ride and live and travel with. Sure, modern bikes are more powerful and handle a little better, and ABS is a game changer. But if you know what you're doing, you give up very little in spirited street riding, reliability is just as good or better (and repairability is definitely better), and the ergonomics are far superior to almost any modern era motorcycle.

In all my experience, I've seen for an absolute fact that GS owners ride much further and faster than KZ and CB owners. There may even be more restored CBs and KZs on the planet, but I will guarantee that we are wearing out far more of the side treads of far more tires.
                      Great explanation! You know I didn't take note that yeah, all the CBs and KZs are usually restored, or cafed out, and most of the GSs are survivors.

Here's a vid giving the GS its props!
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Thanks for the link to the GS750 story, Ian.
                        It is well done. Unfortunately i looked at their other videos....where did that hour go?

2@ \'78 GS1000

Comment

I have a SZ1000 and a KZ1000R for sale soon....
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Both of those bikes are amazing. Like many others here, I've only ever seen a few Kats in real life. I've owned a couple of GPzs, though, and they were fantastic bikes.
                            "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                            ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                            1982 CB900f

Comment

You must have been afflicted with seller's remorse for ages after selling those! How do you live with yourself???
                              Suzuki GS550; Kawasaki H-1E, GPz900; Honda MT250, CB400F, CB550, GL500, CBR929.

Comment

Working...
                              X