Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS650 grease point

Hi,
    my father just recently got a 1983 yamaha xs650 and I saw that there where grease nipples on the swing arm. That got me wondering: Are there any grease points on the GS family? mine is a GS650GL with the SHAFT DRIVE (probably very important). I know about the final drive gear oil but my shop manual doesn't talk anywhere about grease. Just want to make sure im not skipping over some important maintenance!

L.Leblanc
    1982GS650GL

There aren't any as stock but some people have been known to tap one into the swingarm for greasing the pivot.
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Your swingarm pivots are tapered roller bearings. Quite a bit more durable than the needle bearings in the chain-driven bikes. At some time during the ownership of each of my bikes (all shafties, if you notice my signature), I have had the swingarm bearings out for inspection and re-packing. Have never had to do it again on any of them, so I would just pack them well, then ignore them.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
        There aren't any as stock but some people have been known to tap one into the swingarm for greasing the pivot.
        Would that be a good idea? I know its a high stress point.

Comment

Originally posted by Simonak3000 View Post
          Hi,
          my father just recently got a 1983 yamaha xs650 and I saw that there where grease nipples on the swing arm. That got me wondering: Are there any grease points on the GS family? mine is a GS650GL with the SHAFT DRIVE (probably very important). I know about the final drive gear oil but my shop manual doesn't talk anywhere about grease. Just want to make sure im not skipping over some important maintenance!L.Leblanc
          1982GS650GL

I think there are grease points on the XS650 because they use bushings at the swing arm, not sealed roller bearings like a Suzuki. But, many Suzukis (and the XS650 too, I guess)can use regreasing at the steering stem bearings.

Comment

As Steve said, shaft drive GS Suzukis use ridiculously stout tapered bearings in the swingarm. Poke some grease at them once every 50 years or so and you'll be fine. No need to drill holes or add grease zerks.

Chain drive GS Suzukis use needle bearings in the swingarm. These are far more delicate and should be checked for play at each tire change. These really need be greased every few years, especially if you've ridden in the rain much. They come from the factory with only the faintest whisper of ear wax. Water entry around the seals and corrosion is what kills these. People have been known to add grease zerks to the swingarms and pivots in clever locations; just make sure you're not filling the ENTIRE swingarm with grease or anything silly like that.
            1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
            2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
            2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
            Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Working...
            X