Crazy language restrictions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pmcburney View Post
    My take, FWIW, on 'censorship' of naughty words on this or any forum is that it's entirely specious and a childish and anachronistic indictment on freedom of expression.

The ironic aspect of it is everyone knows exactly what naughty words a person may get censored, i.e if I type in (really, I have to insert an image for these words? Are the mods here 8 years old?) in a message to accentuate a point, no matter how the forum moderates those words, the meaning and context is still apparent.

Like oddly prudish folk who only 'swear' using alternative words that aren't otherwise deemed offensive, censoring or moderating a forum in the same manner doesn't diminish the intent, it diminishes and disrespects the intelligence and maturity of both the writer and readers of the post.

Much like pregnancy, you can't be half-profane.

Either 'swear' or don't.

Or maybe just scroll on past if naughty words make you feel all icky in the tummy.
    Much of this forum appears immediately to anyone, anywhere in the world, so it is open to every sort and type of people, including those who have standards that will make them feel drawn to the site, rather than pushing them away through the use of offensive language.

Quite evidently you have sufficient vocabulary to illustrate your thoughts to all and you have the ability to assemble the words well.
    You have shown that you can readily present your ideas in a broadly acceptable manner, suitable for all audiences.

This makes it clearly evident that you not only have no need for profanity or other vulgarities, the use of same could lessen the value of both your words and thoughts for many readers.
    "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
    Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Originally posted by argonsagas View Post
      Much of this forum appears immediately to anyone, anywhere in the world, so it is open to every sort and type of people, including those who have standards that will make them feel drawn to the site, rather than pushing them away through the use of offensive language.

Quite evidently you have sufficient vocabulary to illustrate your thoughts to all and you have the ability to assemble the words well.
      You have shown that you can readily present your ideas in a broadly acceptable manner, suitable for all audiences.

This makes it clearly evident that you not only have no need for profanity or other vulgarities, the use of same could lessen the value of both your words and thoughts for many readers.
      I totally disagree with this post.

My take, FWIW, on 'censorship' of naughty words on this or any forum is that it's entirely specious and a childish and anachronistic indictment on freedom of expression.

The ironic aspect of it is everyone knows exactly what naughty words a person may get censored, i.e if I type in (really, I have to insert an image for these words? Are the mods here 8 years old?) in a message to accentuate a point, no matter how the forum moderates those words, the meaning and context is still apparent.

Like oddly prudish folk who only 'swear' using alternative words that aren't otherwise deemed offensive, censoring or moderating a forum in the same manner doesn't diminish the intent, it diminishes and disrespects the intelligence and maturity of both the writer and readers of the post.

Either 'swear' or don't.

Or maybe just scroll on past if naughty words make you feel all icky in the tummy.
      I totally agree with this post.
      No signature

Comment

Either 'swear' or don't.

Oh, bumfeathers.
        Pregnancy and profane are not much alike. And, you can be half-asleep but you cannot be "half-tired". A page can be half full of profanities but it cannot be half profane.

Comment

Not a Lenny Bruce fan I take it ? ......
          Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
          Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
          1983 GS 750

Comment

Originally posted by bccap View Post
            Not a Lenny Bruce fan I take it ? ......
            No comparison was made or intended.

I thought his writing ability was quite good; that it met international communication standards and that it would offend no one but would be accepted and understood by everyone.
            I believe he deserved the compliment.
            "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
            Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

much of this forum appears immediately to anyone, anywhere in the world, so it is open to every sort and type of people, including those who have standards that will make them feel drawn to the site, rather than pushing them away through the use of offensive language.

i couldn't have said it better.

Comment

Working...
              X