Avon Roadrider cracking Again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dear Dave,
    If you have what you believe is a defective tire you should take it back (if possible) to the place you bought the tire, have the dealer examine it and if it is a warranty with less than 50% wear the dealer will call their distributor for replacement. If it is more than 50% worn the tire will be prorated. Very sorry you have experienced an issue with your tire.

Best regards,

Sukoshi Fahey (Ms.)

Avon Motorcycle Tyres North America
    4600 Prosper Dr. Stow, OH 44224
    800-624-7470 x 3135 www.avonmoto.com
    82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

was looking at Chef1366's Avon RR's, he has deep splits in the tires. They are maybe 2 years old with 1000 miles.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
        was looking at Chef1366's Avon RR's, he has deep splits in the tires. They are maybe 2 years old with 1000 miles.
        Sh!t !! Whatcha gonna do Chef ? I just bit the bullet at Dennis Kirk and as much as I hate to say it .....I ordered another Road Rider . I know....gluten for punishment . If it were anywhere but DK I woulda opted out of the Avon but being as they are so close to me and they waved the shipping, including the shipping for bad tire going back, and the DK rep actually went to the warehouse and hand picked the newest RR they had (4510). Ive been riding a 7 mile windy road back and forth to work and the RRs feel great. Yes even the defective back tire. Today I had to do the 7 miles home in the pouring rain. RRs stuck like glue.

Oh yea....I also got a set of EBC Organic Kevlar® Brake Pads from DK
        Last edited by bonanzadave; 06-14-2011, 11:25 PM.
        82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          . Today I had to do the 7 miles home in the pouring rain. RRs stuck like glue.
          You trying to reconvert me back the the RRs?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
            You trying to reconvert me back the the RRs?
            Lets let the future be the judge... Ill keep ya posted
            82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

Sh!t !! Whatcha gonna do Chef ? I just bit the bullet at Dennis Kirk and as much as I hate to say it .....I ordered another Road Rider . I know....gluten for punishment . If it were anywhere but DK I woulda opted out of the Avon but being as they are so close to me and they waved the shipping, including the shipping for bad tire going back, and the DK rep actually went to the warehouse and hand picked the newest RR they had (4510). Ive been riding a 7 mile windy road back and forth to work and the RRs feel great. Yes even the defective back tire. Today I had to do the 7 miles home in the pouring rain. RRs stuck like glue.

Oh yea....I also got a set of EBC Organic Kevlar® Brake Pads from DK
              Yea I was kinda shocked when I saw that. The bulk of the miles on those tires are the one way trip Bill made to Baco to Reno last year. 1K Miles is probably even a streach

Comment

I'm about to replace a RR on the rear of my 1000. No troubles from it, other than a little bit of sawtooth in the last couple 1000 miles.
                Dogma
                --
                O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                '80 GS850 GLT
                '80 GS1000 GT
                '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

OK. Chapter...2. I got the new RR from Denis Kirk in the mail and now mounted on the Bike. She did in fact send me a pre-paid UPS return label to send the defective one back. We'll see if I get any money back.....Dont know how many miles Ill be able to get on it as my summer "fun time" is limited. And then it will start snowing again.....
                  82 1100 EZ (red)

Comment

OK. Chapter...2. I got the new RR from Denis Kirk in the mail and now mounted on the Bike. She did in fact send me a pre-paid UPS return label to send the defective one back. We'll see if I get any money back.....Dont know how many miles Ill be able to get on it as my summer "fun time" is limited. And then it will start snowing again.....
                    Ahh...bellying back up to the bar after the "bad night out" I see...

I'm sure you'll watch your new tire like a hawk and keep us posted on what happens with your refund.

The fact that a tire develops cracks within a year or two, and is not deemed to be a "factory quality defect", hence a pro-rated warranty just isn't right though, IMHO.
                    sigpic

SUZUKI:
                    1978 GS1000E; 1980 GS1000G; 1982 GS650E; 1982 GS1100G; 1982 GS1100E; 1985 GS700ES
                    HONDA: 1981 CB900F Super Sport
                    KAWASAKI: 1981 KZ550A-2; 1984 ZX750A-2 (aka GPZ750); 1984 KZ700A-1
                    YAMAHA: 1983 XJ750RK Seca

Free speech is the foundation of an open society. Each time a society bans a word or phrase it deems “offensive”, it chips away at that very foundation upon which it was built.

Comment

Only just started reading this thread . Sorry .
                      Just checked the Avons on my '77 GS750E and sure enough , the rear is "cracked" (more like SPLIT) . The tread has long splits going around the tyre (down in the grooves) . Scary stuff .
                      I'm fairly careful with checking pressures so that's not an issue .
                      $hit tyres that I'll never buy again . Pity , because they felt very planted , wet or dry .
                      Bring back the Spitfire II's please .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Originally posted by simon kuether View Post
                        Only just started reading this thread . Sorry .
                        Just checked the Avons on my '77 GS750E and sure enough , the rear is "cracked" (more like SPLIT) . The tread has long splits going around the tyre (down in the grooves) . Scary stuff .
                        I'm fairly careful with checking pressures so that's not an issue .
                        $hit tyres that I'll never buy again . Pity , because they felt very planted , wet or dry .
                        Bring back the Spitfire II's please .

Cheers , Simon .
                        Bugger Simon! I was hoping this was a US thing, but I guess not...
                        1982 GS450E - The Wee Beastie
                        1984 GSX750S Katana 7/11 - Kit Kat - BOTM May 2020

sigpic

450 Refresh thread: https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...-GS450-Refresh

Katana 7/11 thread: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...84-Katana-7-11

Comment

Originally posted by pete View Post
                          Bugger Simon! I was hoping this was a US thing, but I guess not...
                          This would be the one in America... Hard to keep up with that jet setter, no?
                          Dogma
                          --
                          O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
                          '80 GS850 GLT
                          '80 GS1000 GT
                          '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Originally posted by Dogma View Post
                            This would be the one in America... Hard to keep up with that jet setter, no?
                            D'oh! Of course it would, and yeah far too hard to follow Simon, stop it will ya'?

I must remember... Simon + 750 = US, Simon + 1000 = Aus... sheeesh...

sigpic

Comment

Sorry 'boot that Pete .
                              They actually felt pretty good on the road but when I saw those splits I lost confidence in them a bit .
                              I run Battlaxes's's's at home but was going to look at the Avons for the next lot .
                              Not now .

Cheers , Simon .

'79 GS1000S my daily ride in Aus

'82 (x2) GS650ET in the shed

Comment

Yeah I was counting on the Avons until I saw this thread, but then I decided I should probably run road biased dual sports for the whole scrambler thing, but they don't exist for my front tyre size, closest are 50/50 which are too trail biased.

Looking like Dunlop TT100GP's are the go at the moment as they'll still have somewhat of the look without compromising road performance. No idea what they're worth yet though...

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X