No announcement yet.

what did you wrench on today??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Charmayne's windshield today and will road test this week after she returns from her boyfriend's.

Charmayne Windshield Front View by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Charmayne Windshield Side View by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Charmayne Windshield Rear View by Scott Baker, on Flickr
    Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
    1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
    2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
    Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
    and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Yesterday morning before leaving for work (still currently at work), I installed a 804 front tire on the VSTROM in prep for riding in Arkansas in a few weeks. I also stuck a 804/805 combo set of spares into trashbags tied them off and put them in the rafters for future use.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
        Installed Charmayne's windshield today and will road test this week after she returns from her boyfriend's....
        Looks nice! I hope that it works well.
        sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
          Got the GS300 running
          Justin that things sick! Once my GS450's done I'll bring it up! What is the exhaust from or did you make it?
          1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
          1977 GS550
          1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

Originally posted by sam000lee View Post
            Justin that things sick! Once my GS450's done I'll bring it up! What is the exhaust from or did you make it?
            Thanks Sam! You coming up to Vermont anytime soon??? GMR???
            That is a custom exhuast But not a big fan of it... Going to be making a custom 2 to 2 setup. Gets a tag on Thursday... I'll be running it then.
            Jedz Moto
            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
            1988 Honda GL1500-6
            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
            Originally posted by Hayabuser
            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Put a 7inch Tucklite (DOT complaint)in the Gs1000 this morning after work. Hope it doesnt ruin the classic look too much. Yhe 7 inch incandescent light that was on the was pretty awful in the dark.

Low beam

High beam

Comment

Not really "wrenching" but text message troubleshooting with Justin Redmanson (some of you have meet him at Brown County).

He rode ('08 Triumph Tiger 1050) to Jacksonville FL, Iron Butt style.
                Then from there to SanDiego (Coast To Coast in under 50hours).
                Spends 10 days days there, has some canyon rides.
                THen goes up the Pacific coast some, then to Colorado for a couple days.
                THen rides to home (another IronButt), stopps at gas station about a mile from home ... and bike will not start... low voltage.

So, stator ohm check time ...
                Phase to phase okay, but phase to ground - 0.3 and 0.5ohm and such. He did check and his is suppose to be open-infinite like ours.

Apparently that heat in the desert (107) and other S.W. places (upper 90s), for days at a time, did in the stator.
                So, I guess, newer bike is not a quarentee against having problems.

>>Later note: Justin informs me that his ride thru the desert was 111 - 117degF.
                Last edited by Redman; 08-30-2018, 10:11 PM. Reason: 111 - 117degF

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
                GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post

Two Wheel Texan.....
                  You know of Focus Frenzy....? He (Leon) used to be quite active here on GSR.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                    Two Wheel Texan.....
                    You know of Focus Frenzy....? He (Leon) used to be quite active here on GSR.
                    Yes sir I've gotten a few GS parts from him over the years. His current 2 wheeled squeeze is a BMW 310GS but as far as I know he still has a bunch of bikes from a Kawa ZRX, to a GS still.

Comment

Originally posted by Downs View Post
                      Yes sir ..............
                      Good. If you see him again, you can tell him some folks on GSR still recall him.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
                        Not really "wrenching" but text message troubleshooting with Justin Redmanson (some of you have meet him at Brown County).

He rode ('08 Triumph Tiger 1050) to Jacksonville FL, Iron Butt style.
                        Then from there to SanDiego (Coast To Coast in under 50hours).
                        Spends 10 days days there, has some canyon rides.
                        THen goes up the Pacific coast some, then to Colorado for a couple days.
                        THen rides to home (another IronButt), stopps at gas station about a mile from home ... and bike will not start... low voltage.

So, stator ohm check time ...
                        Phase to phase okay, but phase to ground - 0.3 and 0.5ohm and such. He did check and his is suppose to be open-infinite like ours.

Apparently that heat in the desert (107) and other S.W. places (upper 90s), for days at a time, did in the stator.
                        So, I guess, newer bike is not a quarentee against having problems.

I've been lurking on the tiger 1050 forum for a few days and I also noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of the same old electrical problems we all experience with our GSes. The Triumph stators are supposed to be cooled with oil but the tops of the stator do not retain the cooling long enough and tend to burn. They also have R/R troubles like our GSes. Maybe just not as frequently as they are no where near the age of our old steeds.
                        Larry

'79 GS 1000E
                        '93 Honda ST 1100 SOLD-- now residing in Arizona.
                        '18 Triumph Tiger 800 (gone too soon)
                        '19 Triumph Tiger 800 Christmas 2018 to me from me.
                        '01 BMW R1100RL project purchased from a friend.

Comment

Originally posted by alke46 View Post
                          I've been lurking on the tiger 1050 forum for a few days and I also noticed that there seems to be quite a bit of the same old electrical problems we all experience with our GSes. The Triumph stators are supposed to be cooled with oil but the tops of the stator do not retain the cooling long enough and tend to burn. They also have R/R troubles like our GSes. Maybe just not as frequently as they are no where near the age of our old steeds.
                          The R/R failure frequency on 2006 to 2009 Triumph Daytona 675's was actually so high that the factory issued a recall! The original shunt R/R was replaced with a Mosfet (but still shunt type).

On those models the R/R was mounted directly behind the engine, and about 2 inches away from the exhaust mid-pipe (which went up behind the engine and under the seat to the silencer below the tail). On later models the R/R was moved to the front of the bike inside the fairing.

My son has a 2007 Daytona 675 and I was riding the bike when the R/R failed and the engine cut out after the battery had drained, so I had first-hand experience of the failure!

So even a quarter of a century after our bikes saw the light of day, R/R failures are still commonplace on "modern" machines!

R-R mounting position on 2007 Triumph Daytona 675.jpg
                          Last edited by 2BRacing; 08-29-2018, 07:01 AM. Reason: added photo
                          1981 GS850G "Blue Magic" (Bike Of The Month April 2009)

1981 GS1000G "Leo" (Bike Of The Month August 2023)

Comment

Almost done converting an old Ford camper from an in tank fuel pump to an inline pump. One of Ford's stupidest designs by far. Just got a new fuel pump in the mail for a 2003 Honda twin. I'm getting tired of fuel pumps in general. And at my age, I'm quickly learning to say no.

Comment

20180830_220312.jpg
                              mounted some new Pirelli Diablo Rosso 3 tires and changed my oil getting ready to head to Mosport for the festival of speed. my buddy Drew and I heading out Saturday morning can't wait. there will be vintage races as well as a concours show

Comment

I was riding ex wife's street triple and an awful smell and presto regulator fried. it happened twice in 8000km

Comment

Working...
                                X