Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Another sign of what is ahead for the motorcycle hobby...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
    I have an 11 year-old nephew like that. I bought him a $500 BMX bike to try to get him away from his PS4 and Nintendo-to no avail.
    Yes, they have bikes, also. But absolutely no place flat within walking distance, so they just never learned.
    Now, they have cheer practice, cheer leading, cheer competition, and no time for bicycles.

We learned to ride bikes as kids, so we could go places. It was how we got around.
    These days it seems like most kids, including my granddaughters, are chauffeured everywhere, even if only a couple blocks.
    Bob T. ~~ Play the GSR weekly photo game: Pic of Week Game
    '83 GS1100E ~ '24 Triumph Speed 400 ~ '01 TRIUMPH TT600 ~ '67 HONDA CUB

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
      Yes, they have bikes, also. But absolutely no place flat within walking distance, so they just never learned.
      Now, they have cheer practice, cheer leading, cheer competition, and no time for bicycles.

We learned to ride bikes as kids, so we could go places. It was how we got around.
      These days it seems like most kids, including my granddaughters, are chauffeured everywhere, even if only a couple blocks.
      I rode a bicycle everywhere until I was old enough to get a driver's license. My parents didn't ferry me anywhere.
      All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
        I rode a bicycle everywhere until I was old enough to get a driver's license. My parents didn't ferry me anywhere.
        Same here, but we're old....

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
          Same here, but we're old....
          My first car was a 1960 MGA bought while in the military.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

My first car was a 1960 MGA bought while in the military.
            My first car was a 1960 Austin Healey 3000, right after high school, while working at a small Lotus dealer.

Comment

Mine was a '64 Mini Cooper, right-hand drive.
              "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
              ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
              1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
                Mine was a '64 Mini Cooper, right-hand drive.
                If had any idea what they would be worth today, we would have kept them.

Comment

Though chain drive aside, I have to say I’ve been leering at the Kawasaki Z900RS Cafe as a new machine, even more so than the Triumph T120 that I thought was my dream bike.

1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

In southern California we have some big dealers, Del Amo, Berts, Chaparall, and a bunch of smaller guys. Now I hear complaints that internet sales are hurting their business, but I remember before the internet I could walk into my local shop, ask for a part, the guy would look on the micro-fiche and then tell me he had it and would grab it if I wanted it. If it had to be ordered it was 1 or 2 days wait before I'd pick it up, and they had lots of inventory on hand. Now when I go in, nothing is stocked anymore and must be ordered, but I can order it myself and get it to my house just as quick. Maybe the OEM manufactures shifted their policies that changes the credit the little guys had, I don't know. What I do know is I have little need to walk into a motorcycle dealer anymore unless I need some fork oil right away because I let my personal stock dwindle.
                    My last internet order was for some Michelin Pilot 2 tires and Motion Pro rim guards. I ordered it through bikebandit.com and I got it the next day, dropped shipped from Parts Unlimited which apparently has a warehouse 20 miles from me. I am just ranting, hopefully the Motorcycle hobby survives because it drives my lifestyle.
                    1981 Suzuki GS250T
                    1982 Yamaha Seca Turbo
                    1985 Suzuki GS550E
                    2004 Suzuki GSF1200S

Comment

If had any idea what they would be worth today, we would have kept them.
                      I had three of them at one point, plus a TR6.
                      "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                      ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                      1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb
                        Was at the local mega dealership a few days ago. They have a green Z900RS & a T120 Diamond Edition. Both are sweet. Its a tough call.
                        All depends what you want.

Reliable, Japanese, Throttle by cable, less frills... Z900RS
                        Not as Reliable (but still decent) , More options (cruise, heated grips, USB charging, ABS, TC, etc), Throttle by wire, 2 year warranty (mine came with 3) .. T120

41K on my 2018 T120 and I would confidently say I would still do it all over again. I did manage to throw a leg over a Z900RS and it would make a great mule but the T120 hands down has more personality and better option for my riding style.

Best,
                        Jedz Moto
                        1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                        1988 Honda GL1500-6
                        2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                        2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                        2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                        Originally posted by Hayabuser
                        Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Dealers don't carry parts because of the new business principals of running "lean". If they can't sell the part 4 times per year they don't stock it. Younger generation doesn't enjoy the freedom of riding like the older gen does and the bikes made for us who still ride look like a vehicle from the Jetsons. Why do you think retro bikes sell well? Old people buy them cause the look good work fantastic and can be ridden all day. Big dealers do well by embracing all types of powersports, having items people can touch and feel and cost the same as the internet.
                          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                            All depends what you want.

Reliable, Japanese, Throttle by cable, less frills... Z900RS
                            Not as Reliable (but still decent) , More options (cruise, heated grips, USB charging, ABS, TC, etc), Throttle by wire, 2 year warranty (mine came with 3) .. T120
                            I absolutely hate throttle by wire, and don't think I will ever own a bike with it.
                            Having it in cars sucks enough...don't need it on the bikes.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              ...2 year warranty (mine came with 3) .. T120

41K on my 2018 T120...
                              Was that tranny covered (fully or partially) by that warranty? What about the "new" one (with 21k on it)? Any warranty on it?
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob S. View Post
                                Was that tranny covered (fully or partially) by that warranty? What about the "new" one (with 21k on it)? Any warranty on it?
                                As an ex-service manager in the mc biz, old tranny should be fully covered and the repared version would be covered by the balance of the remaining warranty period.
                                Last edited by limeex2; 10-08-2019, 04:05 AM.
                                Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                                Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                                Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

Working...
                                X