Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rear Master Cylinder - GS1000 Anyone used anything more modern?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear Master Cylinder - GS1000 Anyone used anything more modern?

If so lets have the details.... I'm a stickler for function not originality. The GS parts are getting a bit long in the tooth now - hard to find them without rust.

Also if anyone has used a different caliper on the rear I'd like to know about it too...
    1980 GS1000G - Sold
    1978 GS1000E - Finished!
    1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
    1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
    2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
    1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
    2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Ah...you implied the wrong thing here...."don't care to keep it original".....lol. I'm not judging at all, but this forum caters mostly to the "original" crowd.

My thread about installing USD forks on my 1000G got only a few replies.....not original equipment....but luckily they were good ones.
    I'm looking to do the same thing since my front end will be newer....you and I had this conversation long ago{lol} when I bought your upgrade kit...I'd still like a matching rear rotor, and the like, too.
    GSX-R tidbits work with some GS stuff {and vise-versa}...as I recall, a GSX-R rear wheel will take a GS drive hub.

While this is a great site for restorations...there's others for Suzuki GS mods that are more apt to help....check your PMs bud.

Comment

Oh, and should you ever consider messing with the front end...or just want to watch the crazy guy...here ya go-

Comment

Dan,

You want me to bring your lathe back so you can bore your old master out and press in a stainless sleeve? Should be doable once you figure out how to hold it.
        Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by salty_monk View Post
          If so lets have the details.... I'm a stickler for function not originality. The GS parts are getting a bit long in the tooth now - hard to find them without rust.

Also if anyone has used a different caliper on the rear I'd like to know about it too...
          I haven't looked into it, but I did use an '04 R6 rear master on my '84 FJ1100. it was a direct bolt on. All I had to do was swap the the yoke end. Check this eBay ad. It is a Chinese made rear master, but says it fits oddles of Suzuki's from the B12 to the GS500 and has the basic measurements you can use to compare with to GS1000 master and see if a real Suzuki master from these bikes will work out. The only issue I see is findting the proper mount hole distance.

GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
            Dan,

You want me to bring your lathe back so you can bore your old master out and press in a stainless sleeve? Should be doable once you figure out how to hold it.
            That would be the proper way Ed but I'd still need a piston cup at a minimum ($30 inc shipping plus the stainless stock) & I am short of time as ever... (Don't get enough time riding the GS as it is).

None of the ones I've seen are a direct bolt-on so far. The Vstrom one looks like it stands a decent chance of working (and sell for about $15-$20) if I can make a simple bracket to space it correctly. Most now seem to have that 45mm mounting bolt spacing as a standard.
            Last edited by salty_monk; 09-14-2017, 03:17 PM.
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Sorry Dan, not much to offer here but I'm curious on this question as well.
              Rob
              1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
              Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
                GSX-R tidbits work with some GS stuff {and vise-versa}...as I recall, a GSX-R rear wheel will take a GS drive hub.
                Not sure what model. but the early GSXR and GS1000 drive hubs are completely different. GSXR has 5 rubbers and GS has six for a start

compare.jpg

Comment

The more modern GS500 has the 5 that works with the GSXR wheel. Some of the GSXR wheels do use 6.

Rob - I think I'm going to get a V-strom one & try it with a stock caliper & will report back..
                  1980 GS1000G - Sold
                  1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Dan,
                    -either consider the ebay one above or, ask Brandonbeezy here {or, elsewhere} since he swapped the rear wheel and rear caliper {I think} on his G model. If not then the info I gave you should get the question{s} answered if no one here can.

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
                      If you want encouragement and a pat on the back why don't you start a "build" thread to describe the mods you are making to your bike? Take some proper photos and load them up on a good photo hosting site and then link them here so people can see photos in high resolution without having to click some tiny attachment link. If you put out some effort for the community the folks here are very generous with their praise and you will get the encouragement you desire.
                      Wow...I don't know how that post of yours helps Dan's question in any way?...except to try to attack me! It does, however, fully support my earlier comment about the "stock GS police"....lol....Thanks, you are the man Ed...you rock...your bikes will always be better than mine and other pats on the back and assorted praises that you probably didn't need...just like I don't.

Comment

Dan, I just checked that ebay auction...reasonable price, and in the neg and neutral feed backs I only found one Yami rear master cyclinder kit that got a neutral...but the review was in a foreign language so I can't tell what the issue was. Seems safe.
                        Here's a slightly cheaper one-

Comment

Vstrom rear cylinders seem to be nothing more than used {$10-$46 plus s/h} or rebuild kits...on the bay.
                          I think this is why so many folks seem to use GSX-r stuff...they were so plentiful and there's still such a following for them.
                          Problem is those crazy folks who change brakes out for something newer/different/better....once they start, they want more....lol.

Comment

I have bought a 2500 mile 1.5 year old full system off a Ninja 300 for 30 bucks...
                            I will see if I can make it work (and it's dual piston so will probably work with the stock caliper too if I choose that route). Was worried that the Vstrom one might not be big enough bore as it's only single piston. I will report back..
                            1980 GS1000G - Sold
                            1978 GS1000E - Finished!

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism
                              LOL Bob. You were the one whining about how nobody went to your thread. And when I did there were no photos worth mentioning. If you want attention towards your thread you gotta provide something entertaining for people to see.
                              Lmao.....IF you even looked at my post...which I highly question, you would've seen that I "asked a QUESTION how to fit them on"...what pics did you expect to see ED, before I did it....OMG, really?! I wanted answers to my question like anyone else here does...but certain folks are set purists and flame others who wish to vary from that course being all high and mighty and jumping in with left field accusations saying others want attention...your the one wanting attention and it shows.
                              Oh, but don't worry, I did ask for added pics and description from my ebay fork assembly auction before I bid on it....that way if it went bad I didn't have to come here to WHINE about it being bad later like someone with their carbs did.....and I didn't bash you there...............Pass the popcorn and the medical maryjane...Sheesh....

{well, here's the entertainment folks...}

Comment

Working...
                              X