• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

burning up bulbs in new tailight setup

the lights

the converter

the result-old school integrated taillights

the problem: I keep burning up the running light element in the 1157 bulbs (every 5 to 10 days), a coworker says they brighten as I accelerate. The brake lights are slow to come on but turn signals work fine.
    Where should I start? Im not real good with electronics sooo... a little help please?

and hows it look, I am going to put a backing plate behind them to help hide the wires and fill the gap.

get a volt meter and do a quick test

Want to just get a feel for how the charging is working? Do a Quick_Test

Comment

thanks, I will start there.

Comment

Hi,

It sounds like your regulator is not regulating properly. Do you have separate rectifier and regulator units? Perhaps a run through the Stator Papers is in order.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Oh no, a trailer lighting gizmo! plenty of chances to miswire, but check your charging system first- I'd disconnect my lighting circuit to do the testing ,just in case.
          1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

all original wiring, electronics with the exception of the flasher relay as far as I can tell, up to the tailpeice where the "gizmo" was a straight forward wire in once I discovered that I had redundant factory grounding.

got the fluke meter out, printed off the stator papers and the quick check, now if only it would stop raining...(no garage)

Comment

Originally posted by whiterabbitt View Post
              all original wiring, electronics with the exception of the flasher relay as far as I can tell, up to the tailpeice where the "gizmo" was a straight forward wire in once I discovered that I had redundant factory grounding.

got the fluke meter out, printed off the stator papers and the quick check, now if only it would stop raining...(no garage)
              Raining there too! In Maine, we have just about forgot that there is a sun. Yeah, don't check AC voltages when standing in puddles- you might get unusual results.
              1981 gs650L

"We are all born ignorant, but you have to work hard to stay stupid" Ben Franklin

Comment

UPDATE: After replacing the r/r and getting all good reads with the voltmeter I was still burning bulbs. so after a great many headaches I got a bright Idea and turned the lights over and viola! problem solved. It seems that 1157 bulbs dont like to be mounted upside down, only upright or horizontal. who knew?

Comment

Working...
                X