No announcement yet.

Well...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ian,did you buy the bike without the right battery cables on it ?

Comment

Originally posted by grcamna2 View Post
      Ian,did you buy the bike without the right battery cables on it ?
      What do you mean? Not sure what you mean. Those are what they had when I bought the bike

Only thing I've changed is that the yellow wire was put in place of the old black one because wire being corroded
      Last edited by timebombprod; 05-02-2021, 11:25 PM.
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Would like you to watch, got a reading of 6.7v at coilpacks. Please watch!
        Also test ground I've been using
        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
        1982 XS650

Comment

Update on the coilpacks. Not trying to do a bunch at once but I figured tracing voltage for ground I might as well check what voltage is going to the coils.

So testing just the coil connections I get 6.5v

Negaitve battery post to positive coil connection about 7.8v

Positive battery post to negative coil connection about 10.5v

Keep in mind these coilpacks and ignition are new....maybe not anymore.
          Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
          1982 XS650

Comment

Anyone have a guide to replacing the ignition wires? Wires between igniter and coils, I know they are connected to the ignition switch. Hoping this is gonna be fairly simple.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Been doing voltage tests, heres all tests from fuses

Screenshot_20210503-164001_Chrome.jpg
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                Update on the coilpacks. Not trying to do a bunch at once but I figured tracing voltage for ground I might as well check what voltage is going to the coils.

So testing just the coil connections I get 6.5v

Negaitve battery post to positive coil connection about 7.8v

Positive battery post to negative coil connection about 10.5v

Keep in mind these coilpacks and ignition are new....maybe not anymore.
                It’s hard for me to see just where you have your meter leads connected.

With KOEO ( that’s Key On Engine Off), meter black lead on the battery negative post, and red meter lead on the orange/white at the coil, read the meter. That’s the voltage available at the coil. I suspect that should be the 10.5 volts you posted above.

Subtract that 10.5v from your battery voltage, say it’s 12.5v, and you are dropping 2 volts just to get power to your coils.

Or to measure the voltage drop directly, with KOEO, put the red meter lead on the Positive battery post, put the black meter lead on the O/W wire at the coil, and read the voltage drop on that portion of the ignition circuit.

I suspect you also have a similar voltage drop on the ground side of the coil circuit. Between the voltage drop on the power side plus the voltage drop on the ground side of the circuit, I suspect you coils are only getting 70-80% of the available voltage.
                Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post
                  It’s hard for me to see just where you have your meter leads connected.

With KOEO ( that’s Key On Engine Off), meter black lead on the battery negative post, and red meter lead on the orange/white, read the meter. That’s the voltage available at the coil. I suspect that should be the 10.5 volts you posted above.

Subtract that 10.5v from your battery voltage, say it’s 12.5v, and you are dropping 2 volts just to get power to your coils.

Or to measure the voltage drop directly, with KOEO, put the red meter lead on the Positive battery post, put the black meter lead on the O/W wire at the coil, and read the voltage drop on that portion of the ignition circuit.

I suspect you also have a similar voltage drop on the ground side of the coil circuit. Between the voltage drop on the power side plus the voltage drop on the ground side of the circuit, I suspect you coils are only getting 70-80% of the available voltage.
                  For coil connections I have meter leads connected to the positive and negative connection location on coilpacks.

For negative battery post to positive coil connection, negative is on the battery itself and positive is on the coil where positive coil connection is, and vice versa

All is key on ignition off
                  Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                  1982 XS650

Comment

The ignition wires will hopefully be the culprit, they were pretty nasty and somewhat sticky.
                    Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                    1982 XS650

Comment

Anyone know of a guide to changing the coil and killswitch wires out? Pretty sure killswitch wire is hooked up to the hots.
                      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                      1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by pdqford View Post

When doing this test,I got a whopping 4 volts. What do I do from there.

I've been checking other things for its voltage and everything else seems to be fine
                        Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                        1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by timebombprod View Post
                          When doing this test,I got a whopping 4 volts. What do I do from there.
                          Break out your wiring diagram and trace out the path the current takes to get to the coil. Then with your meter and KOEO, measure the voltage drop in each segment of the path from battery positive up to the coil, finding out where voltage is being dropped.
                          Example:
                          From Battery positive post to input to main fuse.
                          From main fuse input to main fuse output.
                          Main fuse output to ignition switch input.
                          Ignition switch input to ignition fuse input.
                          Ignition fuse input to ignition fuse output.
                          Ignition fuse output to kill switch input.
                          And on and on.
                          You May find all of the voltage being dropped at one point or you may find a little here and a little there.
                          Clean up connections and switches, resolder poor crimps, etc., where you find the biggest drops first.
                          Jim, in Central New York State.

1980 GS750E (bought used June,1983)
                          1968 CB350 Super Sport (bought new Oct,1968)
                          1962 CA77 305 Dream (bought used Feb,1963)

Comment

I'm losing almost 3 volts from positive battery post to ignition fuse, aswell as the turn signal and head fuse. I noticed that these fuses can only be tested with the key on. Noticed that the power loss on the fuse input went down a volt when i took the fuse out, I'll be getting a new one to see if theres a difference

Losing .1v from positive battery post to fusebox, and .4v from positive post to main fuse

Losing .39v from Ignition fuse to ignition wire plug
                            Last edited by timebombprod; 05-04-2021, 05:15 PM.
                            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                            1982 XS650

Comment

Have you fixed that Ground- wire situation Ian ?

Comment

Snapchat-1647636591.jpg

Picture to better display
                                Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
                                1982 XS650

Comment

Working...
                                X