Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

MotoMaster 15W40 Diesel Oil

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with MotoMaster 15W40 Diesel Engine Oil. It's on sale this week at Canadian Tire so I thought I might give it a try. Apparently, it's developed with Shell technology? Link to the website is below:

Thanks a lot!
    1983 GS 850G

I've never used it, but I expect it is perfectly fine to run in your 850 if that is your goal. Diesel oils have extra anti-wear additives and no friction modifiers so they generally work well in bikes. I run Rotella T6 5W40 in all my bikes with no issues.

Mark
    1982 GS1100E
    1998 ZX-6R
    2005 KTM 450EXC

Comment

Great, thanks for your input. I usually use T4 but I thought I might save a few bucks since there isn't much riding time left anyway
      1983 GS 850G

Comment

I always use 15-40 diesel and don't care what brand. They're all good.

Comment

At Canadian Tire I always buy Castrol’s motorcycle oil, the 10w40 variety. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0281826p.html. Why are we running off-spec diesel oil through our bikes now?
          1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
            At Canadian Tire I always buy Castrol’s motorcycle oil, the 10w40 variety. https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/c...-0281826p.html. Why are we running off-spec diesel oil through our bikes now?
            Good question.
            The word is that motor oils have reduced the amount of extreme load additives ZDDP that we need for gearbox duty and old fashioned diesel oils are an alternative to expensive special motorcycle oils.
            97 R1100R
            Previous
            80 GS850G, 79 Z400B, 85 R100RT, 80 Z650D, 76 CB200

Comment

Because it's good stuff and we object to being ripped-off for the leisure tax that most motorcycle accessories (and necessities) have imposed on them by greedy suppliers and retailers.
              The past few years have seen the oil market here open up though (here = Ireland). I can get pukka bike oil from Westway (re-bottled Castrol, as far as I know) for exactly the same prices as car oils, so the cost factor isn't what it used to be.
              However, I only have to take a trip into town and look at what the bike dealers are charging for their bike oils and walk out shaking my head. They'll never learn.

A classic example of this follows:
              My local farm supply store had an account with a Dutch oil supplier. They had a full range of car and tractor oils available, and looking on the Dutch website, I saw they also did a 5w40 motorcycle oil. I ordered a gallon of that.
              When it arrived they tried to charge me nearly 50 Euros for that gallon.
              I told them to keep it.
              Last edited by Grimly; 11-13-2020, 07:35 PM.
              ---- Dave
              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                My local farm supply store had an account with a Dutch oil supplier. They had a full range of car and tractor oils available, and looking on the Dutch website, I saw they also did a 5w40 motorcycle oil. I ordered a gallon of that.
                When it arrived they tried to charge me nearly 50 Euros for that gallon.
                I told them to keep it.
                Bet you weren't wearing your farmer's hat
                97 R1100R
                Previous

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                  Bet you weren't wearing your farmer's hat
                  Black baseball cap as de-rigeur around here.
                  I suspect what happened was the blender and import agent loaded the price (most especially the greedy bastds in the agency) and thought they could get away with ripping off a leisure market user. My farm supply store simply put on their normal % mark-up.
                  The same bloody oil for cars is half the price.
                  ---- Dave
                  80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Grimly View Post
                    Black baseball cap as de-rigeur around here.
                    I suspect what happened was the blender and import agent loaded the price (most especially the greedy bastds in the agency) and thought they could get away with ripping off a leisure market user. My farm supply store simply put on their normal % mark-up.
                    The same bloody oil for cars is half the price.
                    I have that tee shirt. I go down the local engineer/hydraulic/bearing/farm contractor shop and get the 15/40.
                    Don't mention motorbike. Up the road the bike shop is asking €15 a litre for the fancy bottle stuff.
                    Someone must still be paying it?
                    One born every minute.
                    97 R1100R
                    Previous

Comment

Originally posted by mmattockx View Post
                      I've never used it, but I expect it is perfectly fine to run in your 850 if that is your goal. Diesel oils have extra anti-wear additives and no friction modifiers so they generally work well in bikes. I run Rotella T6 5W40 in all my bikes with no issues.

Mark
                      Did you mean T6 15w40? I just want to make sure I'm not missing something or if that was just a typo. I usually get the full synthetic T6 15w40 when I have the extra couple bucks.
                      2002 bmw r1150gs 1978 gs1000E skunk les pew 1979 gs1000L dragbike
                      82 gs1100L probably the next project
                      1980 gs1000G the ugly 1978 gs750E need any parts?
                      https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=m_m2oYJkx1A
                      1978 gs1000E skunk #2 RLAP

Comment

I purchase the standard Rotella T4 15/40 from a local big box store,less than $15 a gallon.I learned a few years back,from someone on another forum the additives for our wet clutches and gears,etc. is listed on the back: JASO MA/MA2 under "performance requirements" from different diesel engine manufacturers,according to this other forum.I've been running it since 2012' and good so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Brendan W View Post
                          I go down the local engineer/hydraulic/bearing/farm contractor shop and get the 15/40.
                          Yep, I have 20L of Gulf Supreme Superfleet 15w40 that will do for a few years, and have been grabbing some deals here and there as they come up.
                          The Gulf on its own will do fine - it's a brand name trustworthy oil that thousands of trucks and tractors are running on - but I prefer a lower winter rating, which is why the current occupant of the sump is a 5w50 racing oil with some extra anti-wear additives already in it, although it remains to be seen what its shear stability is like in the long term. I normally change the oil as soon as the gearchange gets clunky, which is about 2000 miles, almost without exception.
                          I may blend the Superfleet with a 5w40 synth.
                          Last edited by Grimly; 11-14-2020, 12:04 PM.
                          ---- Dave

Comment

I have used the Rotella diesel for years in my classic bikes....then last year I was riding my Cooley to California...a buddy sells Amsoil and I decided to treat my bike to full synthetic.... what a mistake....1500kms (1000 miles) into the trip I had to put a litre of oil in my bike...and my bike never used oil like that before....
                            No signature

Comment

Originally posted by trevor View Post
                              I have used the Rotella diesel for years in my classic bikes....then last year I was riding my Cooley to California...a buddy sells Amsoil and I decided to treat my bike to full synthetic.... what a mistake....1500kms (1000 miles) into the trip I had to put a litre of oil in my bike...and my bike never used oil like that before....
                              Did it leak too? My GS1000 developed a bunch of leaks when using synthetic. No issues running conventional dino juice though.
                              Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                              2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Working...
                              X