Exhaust bolt hole not only stripped, but almost completely destroyed by PO

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exhaust bolt hole not only stripped, but almost completely destroyed by PO

So, when I took off my exhausts in order to change the oil pan the other day, I got a funny feeling about a PO bodge:

I don't have too many pictures from unmounting everything, so I have to use a bit of text here. Later pictures will help understand what's going on though.

All bolts came out without fuss. The nut used on the #2 collar was very loose, and not putting any force on the collar. The only reason I didn't vibrate off is because it's a nylon locknut.

After sucessfully removing the exhaust, I found the bolt hole around the stud you see in above image almost completely gone. The stud was hanging on to only a few threads of a helicoil in there, whose existance I only discovered later on. The stud could be easily moved sideways by hand, with obscene play. So I removed it carefully.

When I put everything back on, I used new stainless bolts, and torqued them to spec, erring on the lower end of the specification (methinks it was around 1-1.6 kg⋅m), making sure that the threads matched up good. When it came to the the bad hole, I made sure the new bolt did find thread, and began to carefully screw it in, only by finger force at first, and then using a small wrench lightly.

Snap.

Helicoil disintegrated:

State of the hole:

Needless to say, I was frustrated beyond any measure at this point.

How the hell does one f$!ck up an exhaust bolt hole this badly? How much of a kludge must one be? I wished the responsible PO's bloodline to dry out, and other non-printable cussing.

Timeout.

Comparing the used stud to a regular bolt:

gave me the idea that the helicoil was further in to begin with, and that the shorter bolt only grabbed to an exposed part of the helicoil. So I tried to reuse the stud, but no dice.

Well, the good thing is that the re-drilled hole doesn't seem to penetrate all the way into the block.

After calming down enough and getting over my frustration, I fastened the collar enough with the remaining bolt in order to be able to get home:

It worked, I got only very minor blow-by. I think. At this point it was cold, dark outside and I just wanted to get home, get my mind off things.

You'll notice that I reused the fat spacer PO used on the stud. Reason was that I found the bolt hitting spec torque way before holding the collar. That could be either due to the now slanted position of the collar, or that the factory drilled the holes on #2 badly. I'm leaning towards the latter, it would also give some explanation to PO's screw-up.

After pondering this for a while now and winning a bit of motivation back, I think I getting a time-sert in there, with something "lock-tite-ey" (not sure what would stand up to the heat there) could be a viable option. Welding would be better, but as far as I understand welding aluminium is very challenging.

Other than that, I can't think of anything else short of disassembling the engine and swapping the head. But as far as I understand, that's a delicate operation, I have never done it before, and I don't think I'm properly equipped.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by roeme; 12-29-2016, 03:19 PM.
    #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
    #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
    #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
    #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

its ugly but appears to work.
    Did they use an over sized bolt to replace a stripped out hole?
    1983 GS 550 LD
    2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by Cipher View Post
      its ugly but appears to work.
      Did they use an over sized bolt to replace a stripped out hole?
      I think so, and while at it, they broke off the wall of the bolt hole.

So they decided to drill another hole, smaller, further in, and put a helicoil in it, and compensate with a longer stud.

It's a mess.
      #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
      #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here

Comment

I imagine that spare heads are hard to get where you are. THey would also be a large cost to ship.
        1983 GS 550 LD
        2009 BMW K1300s

Comment

Originally posted by roeme View Post
          Welding would be better, but as far as I understand welding aluminium is very challenging.
          Finding a guy who knows how to, and has a TIG welder, may be the challenge. That would be a easy task for the guy I know.
          82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

To confirm, exhaust bolts are M8, right?

Comment

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
              Finding a guy who knows how to, and has a TIG welder, may be the challenge. That would be a easy task for the guy I know.
              Agree. Have someone weld on some material and build the boss back up. Then dress down the weld, drill and tap the hole. M8 is correct.
              Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

I agree with welding the hole. It seems that that's your only option at this point

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                  Agree. Have someone weld on some material and build the boss back up. Then dress down the weld, drill and tap the hole. M8 is correct.
                  I think I may be able to find some capable welders.

But I'm going to have to take out the engine, take off and disassemble the head, don't I.

That intimidates me a bit. From what I have read so far, working around the camshaft and valves doesn't tolerate sloppiness.

Is it possible to do for someone new to taking engines apart, but capable of following and understanding instructions?

I wanted to wait with digging into an engine until both bikes were in working order, but oh well. Imma stick my nose in the manual and youtube now. Seems fate has other plans for me.

Comment

You seem to be taking this misfortune very well. Good luck to you.

1983 GS750ED-Horsetraded for the Ironhead
                    1981 HD XLH

Drew's 850 L Restoration

Drew's 83 750E Project

Comment

I had a similar thing last year, one of the ex bolt holes had been mashed up from when I'd got the bike and I had the hole filled up with weld and retapped, it worked ok till I changed the pipes for the big UK show and the weld just pulled out.

It was never nice and I've deleted the photos I had of the repair but this is what I did: First drilled out the hole to I think 12mm to original depth, you have to be careful because you can go too far, I made a solid round plug which was a snug fit into the now clean hole, while it was in the Lathe I centre drilled to make sure all was..centre, turned a small chamfer and tapped it home into the hole. I took the bike to a mate of a mate and he welded it in, took him about 15 minutes. I then drilled it to size (I forget now, maybe 6-6.5) tapped it to the M8 and that was it. All done without taking anything off except the fuel tank.
                      I would be very reluctant to use stainless studs bolts into ally most especially where it gets hot, stainless and ally don't go together well and likely it's what has caused the thread problems in the first place by 'binding' especially where it gets so hot as to cook off any thread lube. This was in fact an easy, quick fix and is permanent.
                      sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Originally posted by jsandidge View Post
                        You seem to be taking this misfortune very well. Good luck to you.
                        Thanks, man. I'm quite bummed out to be honest. But at some point you gotta get back up. The problem won't solve itself. Coincidentally, there's a small plate above my monitor, it roughly translates as follows:

«If you're neck-deep in sh!t, you shouldn't hang your head!»

(...)I would be very reluctant to use stainless studs bolts into ally most especially where it gets hot, stainless and ally don't go together well and likely it's what has caused the thread problems in the first place by 'binding' especially where it gets so hot as to cook off any thread lube.(...)
                        I don't know. I wasn't yet able to find definitive, robust knowledge on the topic of differing alloys between screws and holes,i.e. cold-welding. A lot of fear though. I think I'll create a separate thread to pick the collective GSR brain.

For whats it's worth, I have applied anti-seize on the bolts. It's of german origin, the manufacturer rates it up to 1200°C (~2192°F). I hope it stays for a moment, and if anything, I'm not really moving the bike now

Originally posted by tatu View Post
                        I had a similar thing last year, one of the ex bolt holes had been mashed up from when I'd got the bike and I had the hole filled up with weld and retapped, it worked ok till I changed the pipes for the big UK show and the weld just pulled out.

(...)

It was never nice and I've deleted the photos I had of the repair but this is what I did: First drilled out the hole to I think 12mm to original depth, you have to be careful because you can go too far, I made a solid round plug which was a snug fit into the now clean hole, while it was in the Lathe I centre drilled to make sure all was..centre, turned a small chamfer and tapped it home into the hole. I took the bike to a mate of a mate and he welded it in, took him about 15 minutes. I then drilled it to size (I forget now, maybe 6-6.5) tapped it to the M8 and that was it. All done without taking anything off except the fuel tank.
                        (...) This was in fact an easy, quick fix and is permanent.
                        It took my a moment to understand what followed what here But it's very reassuring to know you got out of a similar predicament, and coincidentally, with something similar I have in mind.

So if I understood correctly, at first you had the screw directly into the welded hole, and that broke, i.e. the threads got out. But walls remained.
                        - After that, you created at insert, press-fit (or almost), into the remaining hole, and had it fixed for good with a weld.
                        - Then, drill & re-tap.

So essentially, the threads are now a separate "sleeve" inside the head's body/weld.

My initial idea was to put a timesert into the half-remaining thread, and weld it in.

Hrm.

I think my next steps will be

1. Clean up the hole
                        2. Find somebody who can weld that
                        2. Have that somebody weld it up
                        3. Either go with a time-sert or the plug like tatu did (Have also to find out someone with a lathe)
                        4. If plug, denn drill/tap

Comment

Exactly, Just one thing else, if you go big enough with the drill diameter you will break through the actual exhaust port where the pipe slides in that will allow the welder to run a bead and make the plug fit even firmer, then clean it up with a die grinder.
                          Just to ask, what are the timeserts made of that you have in mind?
                          I just looked again at your pics again, yours is slightly different but it will lend itself well to the above, with ally welding the metal has to be completely and perfectly clean.
                          All this is finally down to the welder, perhaps take the job to him and ask what he is able to do and work around that?
                          sigpic

Don't say can't, as anything is possible with time and effort, but, if you don't have time things get tougher and require more effort.

Comment

Is there any reason to not just get a new cylinder head? I see that the OP is in Switzerland but an ebay head can be had for less than $100 and even after international shipping could be less than the welding, drilling, tapping, etc.
                            1980/1981 GS450 - GS500 Cylinder + Piston Swap - "De-L'ed", custom seat, CB350 bits, 18" rear, etc.
                            1977 GS550
                            1977 GS750 - Cross country trip thread

Comment

I'd be inclined to go with Sam's idea - buy a good condition head, quick valve job, new seals, bang it on, and use the old one as a paperweight.
                              Otoh, the extra cost of a gasket set, etc... hmm...
                              ---- Dave
                              79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                              80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                              79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                              92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

Working...
                              X