Come In and Say You Told Me So

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Come In and Say You Told Me So

I'm sorry if this is cluttering up the board but I just wanted to announce that no sooner did a few of you guys suggest I upgrade my electrical system, my regulator/rectifier burned out and my stator is in very bad shape. I'm glad I listened to you guys and ordered new ones from the website that BikeCliff suggested- electrosport.com. They should be showing up soon and I hope to have the electrical system working better than ever!

Also a question to actually make this post have a point: Since I'm putting in the new reg/rec and stator, can I make slightly more power demands on the battery? I'd like to add LED forward facing running lights for more visibility. I won't run down my battery with them, will I? It's my understanding that LED's have ridiculously low power requirements.

Stock replacement equals stock demand.
    Tis an issue fo wattage. Measure the total load and you ahve an answer.

Comment

I won't run down my battery with them, will I? It's my understanding that LED's have ridiculously low power requirements.
      Yeah, consider this, one signal light (23w) takes 1.7 amps at 23w.

An LED takes in the range of less than 100ma. (depending on type and amount)
      Stephen.
      1981 GSX540L "Frankintwin"
      1989 GS500E Resto-mod .

400 mod thread
      Photo's 1

Photos 2

Gs500 build thread
      GS twin wiki

Comment

Originally posted by JEEPRUSTY View Post
        Stock replacement equals stock demand.
        Tis an issue fo wattage. Measure the total load and you ahve an answer.
        Well the ElectroSport site states that their stator will provide 20% more charging power. Is this true/accurate?

Comment

Hi,

If I remember correctly, the Electrosport r/r unit is wound with smaller wire for more windings per pole. This allows for a little more voltage but a little less current. (Or do I have that backwards?)

And just so you know, after having tried a couple of RMStator stators and an Electrosport stator, my favorite stator is the Rick's Electrics stator. Perhpas I should update the guide on my little website.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
            Hi,

If I remember correctly, the Electrosport r/r unit is wound with smaller wire for more windings per pole. This allows for a little more voltage but a little less current. (Or do I have that backwards?)

And just so you know, after having tried a couple of RMStator stators and an Electrosport stator, my favorite stator is the Rick's Electrics stator. Perhpas I should update the guide on my little website.

BassCliff
            Either way, I'm sure a new stator and R/R will do wonders for my bike. They should be showing up in the mail today. I have your R/R and stator replacement guides in tabs on my browser and I'm ready to go. Thanks for having all of this information posted on your website!

Comment

Originally posted by GS550ED View Post
              Either way, I'm sure a new stator and R/R will do wonders for my bike. They should be showing up in the mail today. I have your R/R and stator replacement guides in tabs on my browser and I'm ready to go. Thanks for having all of this information posted on your website!
              Going through your harness and replacing bad connectors (bullets) with nice shiny new spade connectors with a slathering of dielectric grease will help keep your new stuff running perfect longer as well

Comment

I'm using a Ricks stator vice the 2 Electrosport that burned up within two years. But now I use the CE-602 regulator from Cycle Electrics.

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post
                Hi,

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by TheCafeKid View Post
                  Going through your harness and replacing bad connectors (bullets) with nice shiny new spade connectors with a slathering of dielectric grease will help keep your new stuff running perfect longer as well
                  When I put the new stator in today i used the long wires that came attached to the stator and ran it through the harness. I also cleaned up everything front to back. With the new R/R and stator, the charging circuit is working excellent. It charged itself back up in no time at all. Now I'm still just having issues with my carbs...

Comment

Working...
                  X