This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bccap View Post
    Does the K denote the luggage and fairing package ?
    In the case of the GS1100GK, yes, it does.

That's why I have the quotes around it for "Junior" in my signature.
    At only 850cc, it's like having a Junior-sized 1100GK.

sigpic
    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
    Family Portrait
    Siblings and Spouses
    Mom's first ride
    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Yes. As Steve said.

Although, not really a "package".
      GK, is 1100GK. Available 82-83-84.
      Is from factory that way (not dealer add on).

GK Did not sell well, I gather.
      I have seen that Magazines of the day were not too positive about them. Some actually recommended getting 1100G and adding own aftermarket fairing and bags that were available at the time (Vetter, Krauser and such).

And of those GK that did sell, many were dee-Kayed (my word) in later years, either by crash damage or some new owner just didn't want all that stuff.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
      GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Aaarrgh !! This is getting frustrating. I can get purple, green, and gold. But the bright yellow is eluding me........
        Started with this red one.

Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
        Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
        1983 GS 750

Comment

Aaarrgh !! This is getting frustrating. I can get purple, green, and gold. But the bright yellow is eluding me........
          Started with this red one. ....
          Pretty good.
          That all exceeds my capabilities.

But here is something of what a solid colored GK will look like.

Last edited by Redman; 04-27-2015, 07:19 PM.

GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Maybe between the two of us we can accomplish the goal. I need to find a another pic that hasn't had the details enhanced as much as this one has. And then figure out this damned yellow thing.....
            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
            1983 GS 750

Comment

Might help on the seat debate... I think you can get away with either on color & would base the decision on comfort.

and here's a yellow Suzuki...

1980 GS1000G - Sold
              1978 GS1000E - Finished!
              1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
              1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
              2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
              1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
              2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

Garth, Dave,

Why don't we just use a picture of the newly painted bike as our start? That should give us the right color. I was more thinking about using photoshop to help decide the striping, badging, black vs. brown (no pink), etc.
                Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Well assembled the GK today and took some pictures. Yes, I know, the fairing isn't original.
                  But it is solid green and I don't think that it looks bad without pin striping.

Comment

Originally posted by dpep View Post
                    Garth, Dave,

Why don't we just use a picture of the newly painted bike as our start? That should give us the right color. I was more thinking about using photoshop to help decide the striping, badging, black vs. brown (no pink), etc.
                    Sounds good to me. Yellow was driving me nuts anyway as the methods I was using had to turn the existing colour into yellow to maintain the contours of the bodywork. I'll do a little research into how to do pin striping and adding badges......
                    1983 GS 750

Comment

I think I need a beer......... And, I don't even drink...

Comment

Yes, it does, but there was more to it than that.

The pegs are wider than the basic G, to more closely resemble footrests, engine and side-guards were added, air shocks are used on the rear wheel, and the forks were upgraded slightly, (wider diameter)

I liked riding the GK more than the G, (and, like Don, put 1200 miles in one day on the GK) but liked the Vetter IV fairing I had on the G better than the GK stock fairing.

To be fair on that comparison, I did not have the lowers mounted on either fairing. and that may have made a difference, as the GK front end tended to lighten just a bit when going above 115MPH, while even without the lowers the G remained stable at 130.
                        "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                        Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Don, I have some parts on hand, stashed away in the garage and can cannibalize others from the 1100G that is slowly coming apart. The G parts are not the best in appearance as the bike had to go outside when garage space became too limited (single car garage houses an insulation hopper/blower, compressor, a large snowblower, Bandit, a CM450 and Rebel 250 ). I covered the G with a tarp, but despite that weather has not been kind to it.

Let me know of anything needed and I will look for something to match the need.
                          "If you scare people enough, they will demand removal of freedom. This is the path to tyranny."
                          Elon Musk Jan, 2022

Comment

Great idea, Don.
                            sigpic[Tom]

“The greatest service this country could render the rest of the world would be to put its own house in order and to make of American civilization an example of decency, humanity, and societal success from which others could derive whatever they might find useful to their own purposes.” George Kennan

Comment

I am thinking I need to check in with a status report. It has been a while since I posted up Mr Ratley's progress.

The place where I am having the parts painted only has the them prepped at this time--holes filled, cracks welded, metal sanded, etc. The original quote was a week (closing on two now). I knew better but being confident that the work would be done right was a higher priority for me than saving a week or two on the timeline. These guys do good work.

Even if I had the finished parts in hand right now. I would not be able to head to North Georgia. I have a family member getting hip surgery tomorrow and I will need to help them out for at least the next week or so. This was supposed to have happened a couple of weeks ago but got postponed when the surgeon cut his foot on some glass.

Anyway, my goal now is sometime week after next. I will be carrying up every piece and part that might be even remotely associated with the bike. Anything not used on the bike can be sold to generate funds. The parts below are in addition to what is on the bike now.

I just noticed that a couple more interesting items got left out. I will post them up later this week.
                              Last edited by dpep; 05-05-2015, 11:24 AM.
                              Believe in truth. To abandon fact is to abandon freedom.

Nature bats last.

80 GS850G / 2010 Yamaha Majesty / 81 GS850G

Claimed by Hurricane Irma 9/11/2017:
                              80 GS850G / 2005 Yamaha Majesty / 83 GS1100E / 2000 BMW R1100RT / 2014 Suzuki DL650

Comment

Again, Don, what a great idea. Thanks.

When get to the point of making the extra parts available.... is that trunk black or the maroon? Looks like is double gold stripes, so, 82, solid color so early 82, but if it is the maroon, I would be interested to examine further.

And... that tail piece, if it is in fact GK and has the rectangular Suzuki emblem on other side (where non-GK would have reflector).

Comment

Working...
                                X