No announcement yet.

For sale, a horror story.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sorry you had that trouble. You took a chance being trusting, and lost on that occassion.
    Other occassion it could make the sale.

If you do allow test ride (cash or not) I suggest you ask to see license to verify if have cycle endorsement, when he shows you, you reach for it, take it, look at it, then stick it in your shirt pocket.
    wiether you feel a need to do that or not, is fun to see thier reaction.
    Last edited by Redman; 10-24-2019, 01:21 PM.

Had 850G for 14 years. Now have GK since 2005.
    GK at IndyMotoGP Suzuki Display... ... GK on GSResources Page ... ... Euro Trash Ego Machine .. ..3 mo'cykls.... update 2 mocykl

Comment

Redman,

You just reminded me of when I sold my first bike to a 35+ year old...he salivated at the Y2K Gixxer/Superman bike and revved it while on side-stand. He lit up a cigarette and said, how much?

Next thing you know, I'm getting 100s put in my hands for my asking price...didn't even negotiate!

Two weeks later, that young man crashed that bike and lost his life racing away from Dover PD.

Ed
      GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
      GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
      Originally posted by GSXR7ED
      Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

"Young man," Ed?
        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
        1982 CB900f

Comment

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
          I would have called the cops and asked them to come by for an accident report. If he bugged out before the cop arrived, you know how to get hold of your buddy who knows him.

Odds are the jokester didn't even have a motorcycle endorsement on his license.
          I was too pizzzed at the time. Also it's not my buddy that knows him, but his. His buddy said they have known each other for decades and were riding buddies when he lived down here. He told me the guy had a CBX supersport and a ZXR1200, so he should have been capable of handling this bike. I texted him a little while ago and he's already driving back to NC. Said I misrepresented the bike and I need to have the carbs and clutch fixed. There is nothing wrong with the clutch, it more than likely has Barnett springs as it is a little stronger than normal. The carbs could probably use a through cleaning and a sync, but it fires right up, idles and powers through to red line. They could be better, I'll admit that, but that had nothing to do with him dropping it. His buddy rode it and also stalled it the first time he tried to leave, but didn't do it again once he got the idea of what pressure it takes to separate the clutches. The only comment he made was about the carbs might need a sync and I agreed.
          GSRick
          No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
          Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Originally posted by Redman View Post
            Sorry you had that trouble. You took a chance being trusting, and lost on that occassion.
            Other occassion it could make the sale.

If you do allow test ride (cash or not) I suggest you ask to see license to verify if have cycle endorsement, when he shows you, you reach for it, take it, look at it, then stick it in your shirt pocket.
            wiether you feel a need to do that or not, is fun to see thier reaction.
            My wife tells me all the time I'm too trusting and honest. It is what it is, I learned a lesson, I'm hoping this other guy isn't turned off now. I let him know what happened and he said they are minor issues, but hasn't said if he's out or not. I got my Bonneville, so I'm in no rush, but I would like to make some more room in the garage, especially when I don't ride it very often.
            GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Originally posted by GS1150Pilot View Post
              "Young man," Ed?
              You WOULD be the one to notice that, Pilot! Lol

Ed
              GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
              GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
              Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

After a little pressure from the guys buddy and he finally offered a $250 check to cover parts. The mirrors are unavailable so far, so I guess I'll have to sand it down and do a slight bit of fill and paint.
                Last edited by gsrick; 10-28-2019, 10:16 PM.
                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Good news Rick. Glad he did the right thing.
                  David
                  1998 Suzuki Bandit
                  1978 GS750 gone but not forgotten
                  1978 GS1000 - gone
                  1981 GS850 - gone

Comment

That's good to hear, Rick.

Ed
                    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Good deal. Shame he had to be pressured to do the right thing.
                      Bikes:

1980 GS1000 restomod
                      2006 GSXR 750

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS1000 View Post
                        Good deal. Shame he had to be pressured to do the right thing.

Even thats a rarity these days.

Comment

Originally posted by Baatfam View Post
                          I've never let anyone test ride a bike I was selling, and they still sold.
                          The only bike I ever test rode before buying, was at a dealership, where I showed up on a bike, wearing full gear.
                          I don't allow test rides anymore. I quit after two consecutive prospective buyers crashed my bikes, then told me the were going to pass on the sale and refused to pay for the damages either. Even if the terms are cash in hand to test ride, if they crash it and say they have changed their mind and demand their money back (and they do), its call the cops and probably court. Too much hassle. Nope, no rides.
                          Last edited by earlfor; 11-09-2019, 03:06 PM.
                          All the robots copy robots.

Komorebi-The light filtering through the trees.

You are free to choose, but you are not free from the consequences of your choices.

Comment

Originally posted by earlfor View Post
                            I don't allow test rides anymore. I quit after two consecutive prospective buyers crashed my bikes, then told me the were going to pass on the sale and refused to pay for the damages either. Even if the terms are cash in hand to test ride, if they crash it and say they have changed their mind, its call the cops and probably court. Too much hassle. Nope, no rides.
                            Agreed... The " Cash in hand " thing doesn't fly....You let them ride it. You are responsible for it. You'll lose in court { here, I don't know about where you live } ......
                            Old age and treachery will beat youth and skill every time
                            Originally Posted by Schweisshund I mean, sure, guns were used in some of these mass shootings, but not all of them
                            1983 GS 750

Comment

Six years ago I bought my 11E. Asking price had been lowered to $1500. All I insisted on was that the engine was cold to the touch when I arrived. It was, it started fine, I put $1500 cash in his hand and zoomed up and down the block sans helmet (Connecticut). I returned, he returned the cash.

We talked, I asked for another ride, he asked for the cash again. Papers were signed minutes later, two days later I took possession of the bike. We were complete strangers, so no offense was intended or taken.

First two bikes I bought were from friends of friends and friends of relatives. Completely different situations.

Lesson learned the hard way. Did his check cover the damages?
                              1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Update:

The check for the parts still hasn't arrived, but he assures me he sent it. Even emailed me a copy of the draft. I'm supposed to give it until Wednesday and if it doesn't show up, he's going to fill out some forms to cancel the check with his credit union. I told him that a gift through Paypal would work, but he didn't respond to that. I'll suggest it again if the check doesn't show up. The ignition cover(correct one) and the turn signal showed up last week, but I still haven't found a right side fairing mirror that's available. I guess parts house shipments are faster than people now.

Mean while I got a call at work about the bike on our Cycle Trader ad from a guy in Wisconsin and a certified check should be here via FedEx this morning. Once my bank cashes it, the title and a BOS will be sent to him and he will arrange for a U-Shipper to pick it up. I've received an engine that way years ago, but never sent a bike.

Anyone have advice, other than taking a lot of pics before it's loaded and of it in their transport? Take a pic of their DL? Should I fire it up in front of the shipper to show that it does run? Send the keys with the shipper or send it separately?
                                GSRick

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018

Comment

Working...
                                X