BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Update, everything works!
      Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
      1982 XS650

Comment

Everything?, or just the ignition switch? Either way, it’s a win. Did you pick up any voltage by cleaning it?
        Rich
        1982 GS 750TZ
        2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
        Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

Congratulations!

I've taken ignition switches apart for cleaning, and they're always horribly filthy inside. Sometimes there's significant wear to deal with as well if the bike has a lot of miles or has been ridden a lot with a heavy key chain. Sometimes you can tweak the contacts a bit so that they make better contact.

It's a puzzle, but do-able with care, patience, good lighting, and a pan or tray for disassembly.

If replacement is required, you can often avoid the need to carry two keys by removing the gas cap and helmet lock cylinders and filing or rearranging the wafers so they'll work with the new key. The ignition switch uses (IIRC) five wafers, while the other locks only use three.
          1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
          2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
          2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
          Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post
            Everything?, or just the ignition switch? Either way, it’s a win. Did you pick up any voltage by cleaning it?
            Unfortunately no voltage was gained... I know I'm losing atleast a volt in the killswitch, but I think it's where the killswitch meets the coilpack wires in the harness being that's the only thing I didnt touch.
            Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
            1982 XS650

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
              Congratulations!

I've taken ignition switches apart for cleaning, and they're always horribly filthy inside. Sometimes there's significant wear to deal with as well if the bike has a lot of miles or has been ridden a lot with a heavy key chain. Sometimes you can tweak the contacts a bit so that they make better contact.

It's a puzzle, but do-able with care, patience, good lighting, and a pan or tray for disassembly.

If replacement is required, you can often avoid the need to carry two keys by removing the gas cap and helmet lock cylinders and filing or rearranging the wafers so they'll work with the new key. The ignition switch uses (IIRC) five wafers, while the other locks only use three.
              Thanks! Really.hope it doesnt need to be swapped as it does seem to do as it should and the wires did not have a sign of corrosion and the brass was very clean. I'll find that loss somewhere!
              Ian

1982 GS650GLZ
              1982 XS650

Comment

I am in the process of cleaning my ignition switch on my 1979 GS750. So far, I have:

Remove headlight

Removed the two bolts holding the headlight can, 12 mm socket.

Pull the bucket away to get room. Disconnect the connector going to the switch. This is the connector with red, orange, brown, and grey wires.

Remove the bolts holding the ignition switch, they are 4mm hex, directly under the ignition switch, and remove the switch and take to the bench.

Pull off the black plastic cover and unscrew the small phillips screw. Then, the black contact assembly can be removed from the mechanical part of the switch.

There is a white cap that holds the contacts. There are two places where you can pry to remove the cap. I used small shims to push up at those two spots while I used my fingernails to pry out the tabs at the top. The shims help you from losing ground when you release the white tabs and having it go back together on you.

Once the white cap is off, the switch assembly is exposed. This is where it gets exciting. The bottom part of this assembly has two springs and two ball bearings. The springs push the ball bearings against a channel on the inside of the white cap thing. So, take care or use the bag technique that others have talked about when taking apart the lower part of the switch in the white cap thing.

I cleaned both sides of the contacts with contact cleaner, and got them pretty good. Are they good enough? I don't think it is wise to use sand paper on these contacts. Also, when I took it apart it seemed like there was a lubricant in the lower part of the white cap thing for the ball bearings. I am thinking of putting some lithium grease down there (small amount) to lubricate the ball bearings.

Final question: I have heard of people using dielectric grease on contacts. But, dielectric grease is non-conductive. So, I am planning on putting nothing on them. The contact cleaner leaves a small lubricating film, I think. Can I get your thoughts on this?

I have some photos for those that have not seen this, or for those that want to re-live the horror, but my uploads are failing? If I can figure out what is wrong I'll upload them....

Andy
                1979 GS750

Comment

silicone grease
                  MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                  1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

---- Dave
                    79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                    80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                    79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                    92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

OK, thanks, looks like a thin smear of dielectric grease is the answer. I guess I'll use a smear down below for the ball bearings as well.
                      1979 GS750

Comment

Working...
                      X