No announcement yet.

Spent some time in the "man-cave" - From Wreck to Restoration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great work Cliff! An inspiring rebuild, and instructive as only you do so well.
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Full circle Cliff. Way to go !!! Hows the knee by the way ?
      82 1100 EZ (red)

"You co-opting words of KV only thickens the scent of your BS. A thief and a putter-on of airs most foul. " JEEPRUSTY

Comment

Congrats Cliff!! Im so happy for you! Glad the bike is doing well too. Better yet, how does it feel to be back on two wheels???

BTW I LOVE that colour on Jessie. Who did the paint? I didnt see...

Comment

New Pictures of Jessie Blue

Originally posted by bonanzadave View Post
          Full circle Cliff. Way to go !!! Hows the knee by the way ?
          Thank you Dave.

My knee is all healed up. It's still a little stiff and sore. Some days are better than others, but they're all good days. I have full range of motion, can take stairs two at a time, I can run, I walk all over campus at work, etc. I don't quite have all of the strength back in my left leg but I'm working out 4 or 5 days a week to remedy that.

While I'm working on a new video to commemorate my first commute, here are a few pictures I took when I got home this evening. I haven't had a chance to polish and detail, but I thought you all would like some better pictures.

Thanks again for all of the interest shown in this thread. It's been a fun journey back thanks to all of you.

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

Comment

Film at 11!

Hi,

As promised, although it's only 9:52 here, I've got video to share. Thanks for looking.

Just click the thumbnail to watch my little Youtube video. We were working without a script so I beg your forbearance. Enjoy!

BassCliff
            Last edited by Guest; 04-09-2010, 12:24 AM.

Comment

Dude, I can appreciate the indulgence and everything, but at least give the girl a baseball bat for checking out the knee armor.!!

And can you for God's sake pull a wheelie or something?

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                Dude, I can appreciate the indulgence and everything, but at least give the girl a baseball bat for checking out the knee armor.!!

Good stuff Cliff!
                Don't worry Tom. I'll get you a vid of some monster wheelies soon. On an L at that!
                1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Can I ask how bad the crash was?

Comment

Originally posted by jonshrader View Post
                    C'mon Cliff. Show him the knee
                    1983 GS 1100E w/ 1230 kit, .340 lift Web Cams, Ape heavy duty valve springs, 83 1100 head with 1.5mm oversized SS intake valves, 1150 crank, Vance and Hines 1150 SuperHub, Star Racing high volume oil pump gears, 36mm carebs Dynojet stage 3 jet kit, Posplayr's SSPB, Progressive rear shocks and fork springs, Dyna 2000, Dynatek green coils and Vance & Hines 4-1 exhaust.
                    1985 GS1150ES stock with 85 Red E bodywork.

Comment

Cliff glad to see you riding, and the bike is beautiful!

Comment

Warning! Graphic Photos!

Originally posted by jonshrader View Post
                        Originally posted by chef1366
                        C'mon Cliff. Show him the knee
                        Hi,

OK, why not Bill?

Thanks for asking Mr. jonshrader. Pretty much the entire story is here in this thread, with links to any pictures that are not included in the thread. Have a look at post #78, although I think my "crash story" has been purged. I'll see if I can find it. But for your enjoyment, here are a few "before" pictures. Warning! Graphic photos following.

Oh! The horror!

I spent a week in the hospital, a couple of knee surgeries, a few weeks on IV antibiotics, 8 weeks with my knee immobilized in a brace, about 10 weeks of physical and occupational therapy, and a few months putting the bike back together with the generous help of lots of friends here in the GSR community. I don't think I could have done it without you.

BassCliff
                        Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 04:51 PM.

Comment

My Crash Story

Hi,

For those of you who joined us late, and to bring this story full circle, here is a reprise of my crash story.

Hello friends,

This is in regards to the events which occurred on Angeles Crest Highway, June 20, 2009.

I'll preface with the emotional state I was in during the minutes following my accident. I think it's
                          important. I know that if you're alone when you have an accident, especially an injury accident, it
                          will be different. I'm fortunate and thankful that I was riding with a group of friends.

Right after my mishap I was full of embarrassment. I was on the ground thinking, "I'm a better
                          rider than this. I've taken tighter turns at faster speeds. I've dodged rock slides on mountain roads
                          before. I've been able to recover when my rear wheel slid out. What a jerk!"

As my friends were gathering around me I was full of guilt. "I'm sorry guys. I didn't mean to ruin
                          your ride today." I must've apologized at least two times every minute for the next half hour. I
                          didn't want my friends to hate me for ruining the ride. Finally my friend, "Harley" Joe, just told me
                          to SHUT UP! I needed to hear that. I finally stopped apologizing to everybody.

Then on the way to the hospital, self-loathing and self-deprecation set in. "You IDIOT! You KNOW
                          how to take that curve! You're such a hypocrite, telling people how to ride and how to fix their
                          bikes when you're such a ROOKIE IDIOT! Now look what you've done! You've just ruined that
                          motorcycle you're so proud of, you've gone and hurt yourself, caused all of these people (rescue
                          workers) a whole lot of trouble to get you off the mountain, and you've ruined the day for all of
                          your friends!"

Obviously I was listening to no one. I wasn't hearing the love and concern they have for me. But
                          as the time passed, these emotions faded and I started analyzing the situation.

There's really not much to my crash story. I just made a bad decision and a rookie mistake with
                          regards to a small rock slide in a curve on a mountain road. Those of you who know me know that I
                          like to take a lot of pictures while I ride. I was NOT taking pictures at the time of my crash. But in
                          the future I will use my camera mount and not ride one-handed while I shoot. (My new camera got
                          busted up and the SD card was corrupted somehow. All the pictures and video I took that day
                          have been unrecoverable so far. But I've still got a couple of tricks left to try.)

The highlights are these; I entered the curve too wide to begin with and suddenly there was a fist
                          -sized rock right in my path. Instead of diving into the curve like I usually do, I chose to miss the
                          rock towards the outside of the curve. That decision put me in the gravel and dirt along the very
                          outer edge of the road. There was time to dive into the curve after I passed the rock, but I kept
                          looking at all the dirt and gravel there on the outer edge of the asphault, getting a little nervous. A
                          split second later I was really behind the curve and was thinking, "If I make an aggressive turn
                          now I'll slide out and low-side." I was so focused on the problem (sand and gravel, proximity to
                          the edge of the road) that I quit looking at the solution (the proper line through the curve I should
                          have taken). I panicked, I froze, I just hit my brakes, made a half-hearted attempt to turn, and
                          skidded off the road. When my bike hit the embankment at the side of the road it almost flipped,
                          but more like rolled over on its right side and threw me off, kind of like a high-side would.

It actually wasn't a bad place to get off your motorcycle at 45mph. It was a fairly large, flat area
                          on the upslope side of the mountain with lots of loose dirt, rocks, brush, trash, a few small trees,
                          etc. As soon as my bike hit the small embankment my face shield filled with dust. I must've
                          created quite a dust cloud. As I was thrown I just relaxed and tried to draw my limbs in toward my
                          body so as not to try to catch myself with my arms, possibly breaking them. I flew through the air,
                          bounced across the dirt, and rolled a few times.

When I came to rest I thought, "Well, that wasn't so bad. I've been hit harder than that playing
                          football." No one saw me take my tumble. Then everyone behind me in the group started pulling
                          over and checking on me. I sat up and took off my helmet. It seemed my gear had done its job.
                          Then I tried to pull my legs under me to stand. My left knee felt really weird. Sure enough, there
                          was a little hole in the trim just above my knee armor and through my jeans. My jeans had a litte
                          wet spot where the hole was.

The doctor who was riding with our group administered first aid, cutting off my pant leg and
                          dressing the wound. He said it looked like I had busted my knee cap. It turned out he was right. I
                          later found out that my knee cap was shattered into about 12 pieces. He also found a stick to splint
                          my left pinky finger. Somehow I knew it was broken. It turned out I was right.

I really felt like some kind of big, foolish idiot. I kept apologizing to everybody for ruining the ride.
                          Finally one of my friends told me to just shut up and relax.

Since there was no cell phone coverage, a couple of guys from the group rode back to Newcomb's
                          Ranch, where we had just finished lunch, to call an ambulance. While waiting for the ambulance
                          some Forestry Department volunteers showed up, splinted my leg, put me in a gurney, loaded me
                          on their truck, and were going to take me to a helicopter landing site for a ride to the hospital.
                          Unfortunately, while on the way to a landing site, the helicopter was having some kind of power
                          issue and the pilot was concerned that he would not be able to take off again. So the Forestry
                          truck turned around and took me back to my original crash site to wait for the ground
                          transportation. There was no helicopter ride for me. Bummer.

The rest of the story is just a week in the hospital, two surgeries on my knee, a little physical
                          therapy to get me up and out of bed, a couple of weeks with my hand in a cast and later a splint for
                          my finger. I had to fight an infection in my knee that I had picked up through the open wound from
                          the dirty enviornment on the side of the road. My wife had to give me intravenous antibiotics
                          through a PICC line for almost three weeks. She really didn't like playing nurse. I had a home
                          nurse stop by every few days to take samples and make sure everything was going OK. It worked
                          out just fine. The PICC line is gone and I can now take a real shower.

I'm itching to hit the physical therapy hard, anxious to get back as much range of motion as I can.
                          The doctors say there will always be some residual stiffness in my hand and knee but I think I can
                          minimize that the harder I work them.

Anyway, that's the gist of it. The lessons I learned are "keep your focus", "use a little extra caution
                          around blind curves", "focus on the solution, not the problem", "don't be lazy when you should be
                          more aggressive", "wear your gear", and "don't beat yourself up too much when it happens to
                          you" because your friends just want to take care of you. That's all they're thinking about.

Ride safely my friends.

BassCliff

Comment

Hey Cliff newbie here it's funny the things that go through our minds after an accident.Ive been riding for 45 years with a few incidents myself,luckily nothing to serious,and usually when I was not doing what I was suppose to like paying attention to what I was doing.Most of my accidents were of road I'm glad I didn't have the bikes they have today I would have probably would have killed myself trying back-flips.Glad to see your getting back to normal,great job on the bike have a great riding season.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post

Hi,

LOL! My daughter usually hits and kicks me harder when she's checking my gear. I guess she was a little camera shy or something. Next time I'll at least have her put on shoes to check my leg armor.

Funny thing, I dreamed about a wheelie last night!

BassCliff

Comment

Originally posted by BassCliff View Post

BassCliff
                                Hmmmmmm, I see a May 2010 GS Bike of the month candidate!

Another interesting and great thread. I am glad you and your bike are back on the road. Very nice work on Jessie.
                                Last edited by Guest; 04-07-2010, 01:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X