1983 GS1100ED Refurb turned Restore ???

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1983 GS1100ED Refurb turned Restore ???

Ok well this is a pretty big undertaking for me. More than I had planned on but after I found out my motor had 10.25:1 is compression (190-205 psi) and I have found a selection of performance parts already on board. I have now spent even more money and pulled even more stuff apart.

This is nothing like some of the expert rebuilds described here on this fourm. It is more of a hobby time do-it-yourselfer (DIY) who had never owned (street legal) much less worked on a motorcyle before December 07 project on a legacy street drag bike.

I used to work on cars in High School but after going to college never had the money to put alot of money into a car (1964 SS Chevelle 283 replaced with a 327 but stock ,M-21 4 speed, new paint, mags, headers , 650 holly, juiced up ignition and a cheap rebuild of rings and bearing and later short block ) was all I could afford at the time. This GS1100 is a honest to god drag engine that is relatively easy to work on with lots of part floating around. Anyway I got my GS750 back in one peice so I have a daily rider and I dove in to the GS1100.

To summarize what I'm going through on the motor; there is other stuff but on the frame, body so this is mainly engine stuff:

* clutch with new inner hub, new APE clutch nut as I already had a HD basket. I'll try and put it back to gether better than the PO did (small flat washer goes on first). Also Barett HD springs to be 50:50 mixed with new OEM

* New oil pump coming as the PO managed to grind off the tach gear on the exhaust side of the cam; enough scouring of the oil pump back plate that it warranted replacment although it was all in spec and probably replaced prior. New HiPo gears , and oil pump bearing (for good measure) as well.

* As cam needed replacement and intake side was pitted, I finally went for the 0.340 " lift Web cams with Hipo Ape springs. I'm going to do this with a slick overhead spring removal tool I got from ebay. I dont want to pull the head and split the lower cyclinder gasket as the compression is so good. New tach gear with various o-rings and seals are new. Almost forgot slotted APE gears to degree the cam, APE mechanical tensioner. Also getting help from Rapidray, but bought degree wheel, dial indicator and magnetic base and a How-to DVD.

* New Starter clutch is on order, with new flywheel, main assembly , pushers, springs and barrels. PO previously paid a dealership to replace stator with OEM so I wont touch that. I did disassemble and clean the starter; buishes checked out with hardly any wear so someone must have swapped them out but skimped on the cleaning the last time it was out.

* New OEM drive gear ($25 deliverd from ebay stores). The splines on the old were about 1/4 broken out. This will get a new nut and lock washer as well. The chain/rear sproket had been previously replaced so they are OK.

* Engine was media blasted, , NOT sand blasted with wallnut shells from Harbor freight. All orfices were plugged with all covers bolted down with gaskets but some still got though. With all covers off I cleaned most all of the little nuggets out. The Tach drive hole seemd to be the only thing that leaked??? Be more carefull next time.

* The biggest problem was with using the Harbor freight media. Dont use the #12 stuff. It will plug up every thing in your blaster. The #24 stuff is much finer and works pretty well. Both are recommneded for aluminum engines but stay away from the #12 stuff. I worked out using tarps and was able to reuse the stuff about 4 times. At $25 a box and 3 boxes required to fill the blaster, this would have been way top expensive to do any other way. This is a pretty mild abrasive and doesnt even take off all of the paint as sandblasting would. It really helps in getting the head clean.

* Engine painted with Por-15 and Engine Paint. I used a Harbor freight touchup gun wheich worked alright at first. It seemed to spit quite a bit. For a black engine it is OK. I wil lprobably spray can all the side covers again after the engine is done being banged around getting re installed.

* I started using a sanding block and 200 grit paper on the cyclinder head fins to get that nice silver on black look and then with a recommendation from the fourm and after seeing a Harley close-up I agressively (flat) filed down the fins to get a more machined look. After the paint cures I'm block sand the fins to have the silver aluminum show with a more polished look.

* bought new polished stainless bolts from Stainlesscycle. Even though he was pretty slow appraently due to his moving his shop over the holiday, the 82-83 GS1100E kit was pretty complete including more than I though with the. It doesn't have exhaust bolts which I picked up from a local shop. I also have a 8-valve 750 kit mistakenly ordered so I an mixing some of those as required on a few odds and ends.

* Also got a top end oiler on order and bought new hoses to retrofit the stock oil cooler already on the bike. Also got a black oil pressure guage from Renobruce.

Well that is all I can think of off the top of my head and from looking at the pictures. More later with pictures of the major stages.

More later

Posplayr

Last edited by posplayr; 02-24-2008, 04:35 PM.

Looking good!! After my Ole Girl rolls over 100K, she is going to get the treatment as well. Only 20K to go! More pics as you make progress, please!!
    Mike

1982 GS1100EZ

Text messages with my youngest brother Daniel right after he was paralyzed:

Me: Hey Dan-O. Just wanted to say howdy & love ya!

Dan-O: Howdy and Love you too. Doing good, feeling good.

Me: Give 'em hell, Little Bro!

Dan-O: Roger that!

Comment

Not quite NOS but close black 83 GS1100E head

Well, as one member here noticed I got bid out on some gauges on Flea bay yesterday. But today, I did not let that happen . Grabed this baby BIN before I got into a bidding war. Seller says the head has less that 100 km yes 1 hundred and the other parts are essentially new, complete with valve cover only missing the cams which I have from Webcams..

For now I'll just use the new follower, retainers and keepers with the APE springs and 0.340 webcams. Great insurance against what could be an expensive bill for head work.

Posplayr

Comment

Refurb will go on without those MINT HEADS

In the last post to this thread i indicated I had purchased with BIN a "MINT" immaculate head from tbo455 . Well the head and parts finally arrived and it is junk . I have filled a dispute with paypal and have reposed the parts now with accurate descriptions to e-bay to show what tbo455 had sent. So far at least I have not violated any e-bay rules and have even had tbo455's negative feedback against me removed.

If you ever have any problems with receiving junk or other issues from an e-bay purchase you might review my listing for how I'm trying to combat the issue and get satisfaction.

If you read the details I have included picture including plastigauge measurements of the cam towers and a Youtube video showing how I measured the valve guide clearance. i will update and post a new link after I get a response from paypal on a full refund. I will continue to relist these items at lower prices until tbo455 auctions just dry-up.

Posplayr

Comment

That sucks. I've been in the same situation before. Why do people insist on lying in their descriptions??

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
          If you ever have any problems with receiving junk or other issues from an e-bay purchase you might review my listing for how I'm trying to combat the issue and get satisfaction.

If you read the details I have included picture including plastigauge measurements of the cam towers and a Youtube video showing how I measured the valve guide clearance. i will update and post a new link after I get a response from paypal on a full refund. I will continue to relist these items at lower prices until tbo455 auctions just dry-up.

Posplayr

Comment

I hope you remembered to use hardened rockers to go along with that high lift cam and heavy duty springs. That was a deal breaker for me as they cost as much as the rest of the setup. If you don't use them the rocker arm faces will wear prematurely and wipe out the cams. Check with APE.

Comment

tbo455

Had spotless feedback as a buyer except from one seller where there seemed to be some delivery issues at least it was not non payment. Then out of the blue he pulls this stuff. I always checkout feedback and other auctions before bidding especially with a BIN where you are going to have to deal with the seller.

He could not possibly be that obtuse and I must assume he just thinks he will be able to get away with it. That means it is far too easy and I hope to make it much harder with my relist approach.

Posplayr

Comment

Happy Ending???

We I finally got my $330 bucks back after alot of hassle. It cost me $62 for reverse shipping. I guess Paypal worked to resolve the issue. All in all it worked in my favor and although I got a scare about a partial payment of only $200 this morning the full amount was refunded. :-D

Posplayr

P.S Oh by the way, I currently have the forks off the (along with everything else) pics to follow.8-[

Comment

It took over two months to resolve using paypal? What a drag!

Comment

OK Here is an update

I have been making plenty of errrrr reverse progress .

Overall status since the last update:

I built a paint booth behind my garage and motor home. It is made of 2x4's and 6 mil plastic, cross braced with concrete tie wire. The most expensive thing was the 6 mill plastic.

I plan on painting a lot of piece parts, the frame and all the body parts. After my frustration painting a simple valve cover and the about of rework required from crap falling into the wet paint this was mandatory for me.

Added light and fan with power from a powerstrip and extension cord; this is temporary althogh my wife might have me living in it if I dont get done soon.

Frame details:

Lights required for night work to meet the schedule....

Last edited by posplayr; 05-15-2008, 02:58 AM.

Comment

More reverse progress

Engine is still apart having sandblasted ,stripped and repainted all engine covers.
                      The last time I painted the first gun sputtered and the finish was not how I would like, so here goes another 10 hours of prep and finish work......

The frame was stripped down of parts, degreased, helmet lock bracket welded, sand blasted (bare), degreased, metal etched, and then painted. 1st 3 coats Por-15 corrosion inhib, 2nd 3 coat light grey Hardnose, 3rd 3 coats aluminum engine enamel, wet sanding now for final aluminum, and hardnose clear coats.

Taken a bath before the trip to the sand blaster

Back from the sand blaster and covered up getting ready for paint.

All brake parts , Front forks, Triple T's and anti dive were stripped bare, after sand blasting, coated with 1st 3 coats Por-15 corrosion inhib, 2nd 3 coats of various colors of Hardnose,

All the little parts had to be completely disassembled, media blasted with walnut shells to remove all trace of sand

A little tip, get all the oil and gunk off of anything you are going to sand blast because the sand gets impacted into where the gunk is and it doesn't easily come off even with a phosphoric acid, simple green degreaser bath.

Sand gets everywhere.

continued.....
                      Last edited by posplayr; 05-15-2008, 03:32 AM.

Comment

More progress?

Here are three boxes or bones after sand blasting...... Will it ever get back together? Given the newbie I am, I'm starting to dought my ability to get this back together in the time frame......

OK lets get to work, start the paint production line.......

OK Making some progress with some finish coats......

Continued.....

Comment

Turning the corner

OK starting to feel like progress now and not just tearing things apart. This is the Por-15 Hardcoat (real nice) after gray rust inhibiting coats

I was going to stick with the light gray hard nose top coat, but decided to go for the aluminum however it only comes in Por engine enamel. After spraying various coats, I'm going to wet sand and clear coat using the Por product which seems to be related to the Hardnose line but in clear.

New look for the swinger......

to match these.....

continued

Comment

Wrap up for now

I am making progress on my Yosh 4:1, the finish is much nicer using the sprayer. Earlier in the year, I sandblasted them, fixed some dents with Por high heat ceramic epoxy muffler treatment and have the manifold grey as a final color. Apparently it should stay close to this color after temperature cycling.

I did a spot check on polishing the aluminum canister and it cleaned up very nice, so expect a very nice an shiny cansiter......\\/ There doesn't seem to be any clear coat on it. i will have to mask off the Yosh plat.

I have the additional (from the first post in this thread) parts in house or on order:

New harness for an GS1100EZ that I have to convert to the equivalent GS1100ED.

New Race tech cartridge emulators

All seals/rubber and Teflon bushing for fork rebuild.

All brake master and slave cylinder rebuild kits and new ebay 10mm front master cylinder.

Shipped two sets of disks off today for resurfacing to the ebay guy Chris in Oregon (one set in black for my daily rider, the other set in grey for the GS1100ED).

Sintered Ferado frt, and Platinum rear pads

New head tube bearing

New wheel bearings.

I'm sure there is other stuff this is all I can remember off the top of my head.

It takes about 4 days for these paints to fully cure, so I have to plan for this weekend spraying as well as getting final clear coats on to stage for reassembly.

Posplayr

Comment

This thread is awesome! Man, I know where I'm going if I ever want to paint my engine

Comment

Working...
                              X