Installed Compufire RR - Way Cool!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Installed Compufire RR - Way Cool!!

With stock shunt RR engine temp was usually around 200-210 deg F. Installed Compufire Series RR per Posplayr's tutorial and am showing large engine temp drop. My '83 1100E temp gauge now has the needle showing just above the first line at the 160 deg F end of the gauge. 180 deg maybe?? Anyhoo, the install was not hard and mucho gratis to Posplayr for the instructions. The Compufire works better than an oil cooler. Hoping this allows long stator life as well since it appears it's no longer smoking hot.

Mike

Just wondering: Does this result in noticeably less cooking of the bod when sitting in traffic?
    Dogma
    --
    O LORD, be gracious to me; heal me, for I have sinned against you! - David

Skeptical scrutiny is the means, in both science and religion, by which deep insights can be winnowed from deep nonsense. - Carl Sagan

--
    '80 GS850 GLT
    '80 GS1000 GT
    '01 ZRX1200R

How to get a "What's New" feed without the Vortex, and without permanently quitting the Vortex

Comment

Somebody explain to me how installing a R/R will make the engine run cooler ??
      Larry D
      1980 GS450S
      1981 GS450S
      2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

The shunt type (stock) relay grounds excessive voltage when battery charge and bike requirements are met. This causes the stator to heat up (especially at extended high RPMs) since the charging system is still maxed out. Your stator in the engine housing is exposed to the oil in the crankcase and thereby adds mucho heat to the engine oil and hence the engine too. The Compufire unit "shuts off" the charging system (instead of grounding excess voltage) when charging requirments are met which doesn't produce heat. Now your stator runs much cooler (last longer) and doesn't add excessive heat to the engine oil and VOILA' -- Much cooler engine temps.

At least thats my totally laymanical take on what I've gleaned from Posplayer's inspired electrical scrolls.

Mike

Comment

Dogma,
          Testicular temps are noticable reduced as well. I'm an old Panhead rider. I used to know when to shut my bike off in traffic by the ever increasing engine clatter when viscosities begen falling off due to high temps.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by wheatdog View Post
            The shunt type (stock) relay grounds excessive voltage when battery charge and bike requirements are met. This causes the stator to heat up (especially at extended high RPMs) since the charging system is still maxed out. Your stator in the engine housing is exposed to the oil in the crankcase and thereby adds mucho heat to the engine oil and hence the engine too. The Compufire unit "shuts off" the charging system (instead of grounding excess voltage) when charging requirments are met which doesn't produce heat. Now your stator runs much cooler (last longer) and doesn't add excessive heat to the engine oil and VOILA' -- Much cooler engine temps.

At least thats my totally laymanical take on what I've gleaned from Posplayer's inspired electrical scrolls.

Mike
            He is good at that 'lectrical stuff, ain't he ?

Okay, that makes sense to me. Thanks.
            Larry D
            1980 GS450S
            1981 GS450S
            2003 Heritage Softtail

Comment

Where to find? Dan

Comment

Originally posted by wheatdog View Post
                With stock shunt RR engine temp was usually around 200-210 deg F. Installed Compufire Series RR per Posplayr's tutorial and am showing large engine temp drop. My '83 1100E temp gauge now has the needle showing just above the first line at the 160 deg F end of the gauge. 180 deg maybe?? Anyhoo, the install was not hard and mucho gratis to Posplayr for the instructions. The Compufire works better than an oil cooler. Hoping this allows long stator life as well since it appears it's no longer smoking hot.

Mike
                Congrats Sound like you have dropped about 20-30 degrees operating temp before v.s. after.

Your right, this is better than an oil cooler .

I just got back from about 1700 mile trip last week and have had no issues with mine.

The Stator and R/R are now more efficent than an alternator and will save you from a burned stator.
                Last edited by posplayr; 07-15-2010, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                  Where to find? Dan

Comment

20-30 degrees reduction by changing the R/R sounds like a pipe dream to me.
                    Ed

To measure is to know.

Mikuni O-ring Kits For Sale...https://www.thegsresources.com/_foru...ts#post1703182

Top Newbie Mistakes thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=171846

Carb rebuild tutorial...https://gsarchive.bwringer.com/mtsac...d_Tutorial.pdf

KZ750E Rebuild Thread...http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...0-Resurrection

Comment

Originally posted by Nessism View Post
                      20-30 degrees reduction by changing the R/R sounds like a pipe dream to me.
                      So whatever happened to your quote?

To measure is to know.
                      That is a measured value and supports the temp reduction numbers I got. I'm probably 30-40 degree between the oil sprayer and the SERIES R/R .
                      While Bills 1230 with oversize cooler and 150-152 mains (mine is off a GS550 with 145 mains) got as high as 310, mine only got to about 220-230 deg riding side by side. Over the entire trip I would barely get to 210 degree indicated and that hot spell was one time climbing a 20% grade at 10-25 mph in one lane constructon traffic at 6000 ft .
                      Last edited by posplayr; 07-15-2010, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Being an electrical guy I see vastly superior to a shunt reg. Not only less heat but less wasted mechanical energy. More hp? maybe.

The stator turns off or reduces it's output when power is not needed where as a shunt reg runs the stator all the time.

Does the series reg run reasonably cool? If yes it must be a pwm design. Dan
                        Last edited by Guest; 07-15-2010, 04:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dan Ruddock View Post
                          Being an electrical guy I see vastly superior to a shunt reg. Not only less heat but less wasted mechanical energy. More hp? maybe.

The stator turns off or reduces it's output when power is not needed where as a shunt reg runs the stator all the time. Dan

I measured almost 1.7:1 reduction in average stator current which would coorespond to about 250 watt reduction in my electrosport stator.

Comment

I only see 4 wires

Three for the stator one for positive is it grounded through the rectifier housing?

I wonder what that peak temperature drop would mean for an extended oil chang interval.

Comment

Working...
                            X