Can I run a 150 tire on a 3.5 rim?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I run a 150 tire on a 3.5 rim?

Searched and could'nt find what size tire I can run on a D.I.D. 3.5" rear rim--laced to a '78 gs1000 hub--putting it on one of my projects--'79 gs750e--running a custom built wide and long swingarm--side clearances won't be a problem--should I run a 140 or possibly a 150? I'm guessing here--help me out guys--thanks!

forgot to mention--18" rim--thanks!

Comment

I would say a low profile tire might work. When I bought my katana, it had a 140/70-17 on it and the rim is 2.5" wide. I than changed it to a 130/90-17.

I think the first gen gsxr ran a 18 x 4.0 rim with a 150/80-18 tire.

I may be wrong here but just wanted to chime in.

Comment

Originally posted by Tarbash 27 View Post
        I would say a low profile tire might work. When I bought my katana, it had a 140/70-17 on it and the rim is 2.5" wide. I than changed it to a 130/90-17.

I think the first gen gsxr ran a 18 x 4.0 rim with a 150/80-18 tire.

I may be wrong here but just wanted to chime in.
        I think it also matters if going radial or bias ply. Radial needs a wider tire of same size. For a radial, 140 might be the max; for bias ply you might go 150
        Last edited by posplayr; 01-06-2010, 09:55 PM.

Comment

I have a 150 Michelin on my 1150 3.5 wheel. Ray.

Comment

Avon do a Sport Touring Radial that will fit on a 3.5" rim but I couldn't find any other brand radials to fit when I looked...

Dan
            1980 GS1000G - Sold
            1978 GS1000E - Finished!
            1980 GS550E - Fixed & given to a friend
            1983 GS750ES Special - Sold
            2009 KLR 650 - Sold - gone to TX!
            1982 GS1100G - Rebuilt and finished. - Sold
            2009 TE610 - Dual Sporting around dreaming of Dakar.....

www.parasiticsanalytics.com

TWINPOT BRAKE UPGRADE LINKY: http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...e-on-78-Skunk/

Comment

depends on how big you like your chicken strips

Comment

The rear rim width on my VX800 is 3.5", and the stock tire size is 150/70-17. I've used a couple of different radials (love the Avon Storms), and there's a bias-ply dual sport tire on there now.

With all that said, the "proper" rim width for a 150 tire is around 4 inches, as on the V-Strom. But you won't die right away or anything, as long as there's room between the rim and the swingarm -- the side of the tire tread on the VX800 comes very close to scraping the swingarm.
                1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                  The rear rim width on my VX800 is 3.5", and the stock tire size is 150/70-17. I've used a couple of different radials (love the Avon Storms), and there's a bias-ply dual sport tire on there now.

With all that said, the "proper" rim width for a 150 tire is around 4 inches, as on the V-Strom. But you won't die right away or anything, as long as there's room between the rim and the swingarm -- the side of the tire tread on the VX800 comes very close to scraping the swingarm.
                  I will be adapting a VX800 rear rim to my GV1200 Madura ... and would love to install a Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-021 160/60ZR17. I can deal with modding the swingarm but am wondering if the 160 is too wide for the 3.5-inch rim (i.e.: slip off the rim, etc.).
                  2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                  1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                  2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                  s)

Comment

Originally posted by knowyourenemy66 View Post
                    Searched and could'nt find what size tire I can run on a D.I.D. 3.5" rear rim--laced to a '78 gs1000 hub--putting it on one of my projects--'79 gs750e--running a custom built wide and long swingarm--side clearances won't be a problem--should I run a 140 or possibly a 150? I'm guessing here--help me out guys--thanks!
                    If you've got a wider swingarm and side clearances aren't a problem, then a 150 on a 3.5" is fine. I ran one for years on my spoked 18" rims on my old GSX. Pirelli Phantoms at first, then Michelin A/M59x's (radials). With tubes. No probs. I found Michelin were slightly narrower than other brands - the Pirellis could only fit a 140 - and that was with the rear brake stay arm squashed flat. Chain clearance was a slight problem too...
                    '07 Yamaha TTR 250 - Exercycle.
                    '95 Ducati 900 SL - Duclattery
                    '81 Suzuki/Yoshi GSX1135 ET/X - Yoshi
                    '84 Suzuki McIntosh - Mac
                    '74 Yamaha YZ125A - pain in the rrr's...

Comment

Originally posted by quexpress View Post
                      I will be adapting a VX800 rear rim to my GV1200 Madura ... and would love to install a Bridgestone Battleaxe BT-021 160/60ZR17. I can deal with modding the swingarm but am wondering if the 160 is too wide for the 3.5-inch rim (i.e.: slip off the rim, etc.).
                      I would wonder about side clearance between the tire and swingarm.

What's wrong with a 150/70-17 BT21? It's just as easily available.
                      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

OK guys--thanks for the feedback--just what I needed, some different points of view and previous experience.

Comment

Originally posted by bwringer View Post
                          I would wonder about side clearance between the tire and swingarm.
                          I will know in approximately 1 month when I fit the wheel which presently has a 150 tire.

What's wrong with a 150/70-17 BT21?
                          Nothing ... It most probably will be a 150, but not a 150/70. I will use a 150/60 tire in order to retain similar gear ratio. (The GV1200 wheel is 16-inch.)
                          2000 Honda Valkyrie Tourer (it's gone)
                          1985 Suzuki Madura GV1200
                          2 X 1980 Suzuki GSX1100ETs (next project
                          s)

Comment

Working...
                          X