Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
    Noreg, I love that picture.

Btw, how far away from you was that landslide yesterday? Sure hope those folks were okay
    I am about 500 km / 310 miles away. Its like seven and a half hours to drive there.

I believe all the people were evacuated in time (they had some pre-warning before the video was shot, hence why he was able to position himself for it). A one year old dog named Raya was taken by the mudslide, but (s)he (I can't tell its gender by the name) were rescued by a Sea King helicopter (they just let Raya off at a beach and then (s)he ran off). The owners later were able to locate him/her, and I believe there weren't any serious injuries.

Obviously the lost homes and properties is traumatic, but insurance is usually pretty good in Norway. They might not be able to rebuild where they lived before though (because of the whole mudslide thing).
    GS1000G 1981

Comment

Today I ran out of fuel! It was raining and the bike was running funny, it felt sloggy. I stopped at a safe place and the bike stalled. The last time I tested the reserve the bike wouldn't run (when it was in the garage during the winter), so I wasn't optimistic about using it, but it ran! I filled 19.5 litres (at 300nok! $32 usd for a tank!), so I am a bit confused, I thought the tank was supposed to be 20 litres, with 2 litres reserve... Does it fit more gas if I fill it on the centre stand? I also really need to get one of those fancy litre bottles of gas and keep it somewhere (some of them attach to the frame).
      It was raining a bit, but not enough. I want to test the tires when its pouring down like in Texas or Bosnia (I hope this corona thing gets dealt with so I can ride down to the balkans).
      GS1000G 1981

Comment

Originally posted by Noreg View Post
        Today I ran out of fuel! It was raining and the bike was running funny, it felt sloggy. I stopped at a safe place and the bike stalled. The last time I tested the reserve the bike wouldn't run (when it was in the garage during the winter), so I wasn't optimistic about using it, but it ran! I filled 19.5 litres (at 300nok! $32 usd for a tank!), so I am a bit confused, I thought the tank was supposed to be 20 litres, with 2 litres reserve... Does it fit more gas if I fill it on the centre stand? I also really need to get one of those fancy litre bottles of gas and keep it somewhere (some of them attach to the frame).
        It was raining a bit, but not enough. I want to test the tires when its pouring down like in Texas or Bosnia (I hope this corona thing gets dealt with so I can ride down to the balkans).
        I can't speak to the tank holding more gas upright or leaning on the side stand, but when I drained my tank it always seemed like some fuel was trapped on the right side of the frame. Maybe carefully tipping the bike to the left would get you a few more miles. It worked on my KLR650, but then again it was easy to pick up if I laid it over too far.
        Roger

Current rides
        1983 GS 850G
        2003 FJR 1300A
        Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
          I can't speak to the tank holding more gas upright or leaning on the side stand, but when I drained my tank it always seemed like some fuel was trapped on the right side of the frame. Maybe carefully tipping the bike to the left would get you a few more miles. It worked on my KLR650, but then again it was easy to pick up if I laid it over too far.
          Picking this bike up isn't really an issue either. My fuel gauge seems to be somewhat indecisive today (goes from low to full to low).

I got another ride in, trying to chase the rain. Was struggling to find rain (found tons of wind though...).

I figured I could follow this road to the other side of the fjord, but eventually I realized this is an island (Tjeldøya) so I'm never getting to the other side.

I saw some rusty military boats and a submarine. Sadly I think you are not supposed to take pictures of them (and these gloves are pain to get back on when wet).
          GS1000G 1981

Comment

That's pretty interesting Noreg that you would purposely go chase the rain. I don't mind if I get caught out in it but to go riding while it's raining is a different story for me.

It was extremely sunny today and though not as hot as yesterday, it still was a warm one (80ish degrees Fahrenheit) so I ventured out to go find some waterfalls. I didn't get to see all of the ones I wanted but I have a better idea of where I should park next time. Came across this covered bridge though that stopped being used in the early 2000s:

Bike in front of Stevenson Bridge by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Stevenson Bridge Sign by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Inside Stevenson Bridge by Scott Baker, on Flickr

It was a nice road to get here too

Stevenson Road BW by Scott Baker, on Flickr
            Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
            1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
            2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
            Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
            and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Just for fun, I've been trying to get the GS on the center stand without getting off the bike.

Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Just for fun, I've been trying to get the GS on the center stand without getting off the bike.
                I didn't like this before I even saw the video. I thought it was going to be a crash video.

Yes it worked well. Better than could possibly be expected. Maybe it was even the very first try. (Was it?)

But I would say don't do this. What does the group mind say? To put it in extreme terms, it sounds like something I would do.
                1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Rob, this was the second attempt. I overshot the block on the firsrt attempt trying to avoid putting my feet down.

I figured you'd say something like, hey if you drop it and break that Vetter luggage in the process it may look better. haha
                  Actually that Vetter stuff doesn't break esily.
                  Roger

Current rides
                  1983 GS 850G
                  2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

Roger, that's brilliant. I'm gonna try that as soon as I get home from work.
                    Rich
                    1982 GS 750TZ
                    2015 Triumph Tiger 1200

BikeCliff's / Charging System Sorted / Posting Pics
                    Destroy-Rebuild 750T/ Destroy-Rebuild part deux

Comment

...if you drop it and break that Vetter luggage in the process it may look better. haha
                      Actually that Vetter stuff doesn't break esily.
                      But your legs do.

Originally posted by Rich82GS750TZ View Post

Roger, that's brilliant. I'm gonna try that as soon as I get home from work.
                      Legs here also? Anyone want the ribs? We're having a special on ribs tonight.
                      1982 GS1100E V&H "SS" exhaust, APE pods, 1150 oil cooler, 140 speedo, 99.3 rear wheel HP, black engine, '83 red

2016 XL883L sigpic Two-tone blue and white. Almost 42 hp! Status: destroyed, now owned by the insurance company. The hole in my memory starts an hour before the accident and ends 24 hours after.

Comment

Just rode errands today, all of 6 miles. Meh.
                        "Thought he, it is a wicked world in all meridians; I'll die a pagan."
                        ~Herman Melville

2016 1200 Superlow
                        1982 CB900f

Comment

Picked up a stock exhaust can for my GSX to replace the insanely loud HotBodies stubby carbon thing that came on it. Maybe it's old age, maybe it's being able to ride like a looney without drawing unwanted attention, but I definitely enjoyed the silence tonight.

2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                          2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

Riding with a new MC buddy!!! He was on his GSX-S750. Got Al's french Fries which is a local classic. +300 miles on...

Despite the (much looser) lock down we are out having fun!!!
                            Jedz Moto
                            1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                            1988 Honda GL1500-6
                            2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                            2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                            2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                            Originally posted by Hayabuser
                            Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                              Riding with a new MC buddy!!! He was on his GSX-S750. Got Al's french Fries which is a local classic. +300 miles on...

Despite the (much looser) lock down we are out having fun!!!
                              Nice!
                              2022 Suzuki GSX-S1000GT
                              2007 Triumph Bonneville T100 w/sidecar

2005 Suzuki Hayabusa

Dave

Comment

I had a 343 mile ride today which was both fun and downright irritating to me. First the fun parts involved three different detours as Ohio had a lot of roadwork going on today but that allowed me to find roads I probably would never want to hit. For instance, this was taken on Chicken Hollow Road (what a name) where I stopped because of the view.

Bike on Chicken Hollow Road by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Falls on Chicken Hollow Road by Scott Baker, on Flickr

I can't find a creek next to that road on Google Maps although my GPS said I was there.

Later, I found some fantastic roads in KY-344, KY-59, KY-2, and KY-7 and so many more inviting ones off of them; I may just have to move down there for a few weeks so I can hit them all .

Unfortunately though, I also had a really irritating episode at a stop light when I first got into Kentucky. Some woman directly in front of me, who was also turning right, decided to stop on a green light to let a left turning vehicle go first . WHAT THE HE!!? I honked at her to start moving and she did only to stop again. Sadly, I didn't grab the clutch in time to keep the bike from stalling and falling over to my right so the Bandit's not happy at taking an unplanned nap:

Broken Brake Handle by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Scratched Fairing by Scott Baker, on Flickr

Scratched side bag by Scott Baker, on Flickr
                                Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
                                1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
                                2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
                                Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
                                and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Working...
                                X