Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

750T--Valve Cover Adjustment with Pics

Okay,

I talked about doing this valve adjustment since July...here are the preliminary pics...I had to stop for the moment...read on to find out what happened.

Yes, I did straighten out the points on the end...I removed the plugs to make it easier to turn.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-23-2013, 12:10 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GS750TZ Parts Bike [Seq#6036]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Originally posted by GSXR7ED
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

More Pics--I had to stop because the gasket I ordered was the wrong size. I'll call BoulevardSuzuki on Monday for help.

Ed
    Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-02-2013, 05:36 PM.
    GS750TZ V&H/4-1, Progressive Shocks, Rebuilt MC/braided line, Tarozzi Stabilizer[Seq#2312]
    GSX-R750Y (Sold)

my opinion shouldn't be taken as gospel or in any way that would lead you to believe otherwise (30Sep2021)
    Forums are pretty much unrecognizable conversations; simply because it's a smorgasbord of feedback...from people we don't know. It's not too difficult to ignore the things that need to be bypassed.

Comment

I need to find a good video of the whole process. Gotta do it soon.

Comment

Just do it

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
        I was unsure of myself doing this job but a friend encouraged me then left me to do it myself. I took at least 3 hrs to remove everything and gap the valves only to find out I had the wrong gasket.

Removing the tank and then all the bolts from the cover and you will see what I have pictured. Good luck with your's.

Ed
        GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

ED, you should have called me. I've had done this to my bike several times and I have all the tools for it including the special feeler gauges. I can usually do it in about an hour now lol. Dang wrong gasket eh, no wonder you haven't called me lol. Well, I hope you get the gasket soon, the Las Cruces Toy run is this coming weekend. They are expecting 2,000+ as usual for it.

I took another look at your pics, I do believe my spare new valve cover gasket is the same as yours.
          Last edited by mrbill5491; 11-17-2013, 07:16 PM.
          sigpicMrBill Been a GSR member on and off since April 2002
          1980 GS 750E Bought new in Feb of 1980
          2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Sorry Bud

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post
            ED, you should have called me. I've had done this to my bike several times and I have all the tools for it including the special feeler gauges. I can usually do it in about an hour now lol. Dang wrong gasket eh, no wonder you haven't called me lol. Well, I hope you get the gasket soon, the Las Cruces Toy run is this coming weekend. They are expecting 2,000+ as usual for it.

I took another look at your pics, I do believe my spare new valve cover gasket is the same as yours.
            I took my bike to a friend's house...he helped me a little but pretty much left it to me to gap those darn valves. I was so frustrated because I kept moving the tappet tool and every time I went to measure, I was getting mad at myself. Nevermind.

Anyway, I needed some mirrors for my "T" and Boulevard Suzuki reissued me the correct gasket, no charge. They even refunded the shipping which was cool on their part.

Here's a pic of the two different gaskets:

My bike is still in his garage but he went hiking this weekend so I didn't get a chance to work on it.

I thought you said the Toy Run was on the 30th? I'll be in LA for Thanksgiving and I don't know if I'll be ready just in case the run is this weekend.

Ed
            GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

My bike is still in his garage but he went hiking this weekend so I didn't get a chance to work on it.

I thought you said the Toy Run was on the 30th? I'll be in LA for Thanksgiving and I don't know if I'll be ready just in case the run is this weekend.

Ed[/QUOTE]

Nope, this weekend, the 24th. Thing is weather isn't looking to promising for out of towners caming in, maybe from El Paso. Guess we'll see if it changes by Sat. I know we have one nasty day for a run, was windy, raining, small hail, was about 28 degrees and still had over 500 show up for it. Thank god we haven't had anymore days like that. The last several years it just way too nice.
              2015 CAN AM RTS

Stuff I've done to my bike 1100E front end with new Sonic springs, 1100E swing arm conversion with new Progressive shocks installed, 530 sprockets/chain conversion, new SS brake lines, new brake pads. New SS fasteners through out. Rebuilt carbs, new EBC clutch springs and horn installed. New paint. Motor runs strong.

Comment

Originally posted by mrbill5491 View Post

Nope, this weekend, the 24th. Thing is weather isn't looking to promising for out of towners caming in, maybe from El Paso. Guess we'll see if it changes by Sat. I know we have one nasty day for a run, was windy, raining, small hail, was about 28 degrees and still had over 500 show up for it. Thank god we haven't had anymore days like that. The last several years it just way too nice.
                My bike may not be ready for this weekend...plus, I've got some plans with my daughter on Saturday so I'm out; sorry.

Well, I installed the gasket, got everything put together with no oil leaks. The engine turned over but there are a couple of valves that need to be tweeked. I'll be taking everything apart again. (At least I'm getting familiar with my bike)

I need to get a vacuum line from the petcock to the carbs (#2) and also a fuel filter...the one I had was installed incorrectly.

Anyway, I've also noticed an exhaust leak..so maybe I'll get with you to fix that? I'll take a look at the fiche and see what kinda parts are needed.

Ed
                Last edited by GSXR7ED; 11-19-2013, 08:35 PM.
                GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

You might be interested to know that, it is faster and easier to do both valves at the same time. When you do them one at a time, the second valve adjustment changes the first.

Use 2 shims, adjust both tappets, then lock the nuts and check the shim feel. When I adjust the tappet, the nut is barely loose, that way there should be a little resistance when turning the tappet. That removes most of the slack in the screw.
                  V
                  Gustov
                  80 GS 1100 LT, 83 1100 G "Scruffy"
                  81 GS 1000 G
                  79 GS 850 G
                  81 GS 850 L
                  83 GS 550 ES, 85 GS 550 ES
                  80 GS 550 L
                  86 450 Rebel, 70CL 70, Yamaha TTR125
                  2002 Honda 919
                  2004 Ural Gear up

Comment

Originally posted by gustovh View Post
                    You might be interested to know that, it is faster and easier to do both valves at the same time. When you do them one at a time, the second valve adjustment changes the first.

Use 2 shims, adjust both tappets, then lock the nuts and check the shim feel. When I adjust the tappet, the nut is barely loose, that way there should be a little resistance when turning the tappet. That removes most of the slack in the screw.
                    V
                    That is what I experienced.

Comment

Hmmm...

Originally posted by gustovh View Post

V
                      I'm thinking I don't have shims. I did adjust the tappets individually between .003-.005. Make the .003 feeler fit snug and the .005 should not go in.

I used this as my guide: http://members.dslextreme.com/users/...adjustment.pdf

Back to the drawing board with my technique. If at first I don't succeed...

Ed
                      GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Originally posted by wedoo2 View Post
                        That would be good, but don't expect it to look anything like the pictures you just saw.

Your bike has shims, takes a TOTALLY different procedure and tools.

Originally posted by GSXR7ED View Post
                        I did adjust the tappets individually between .003-.005. Make the .003 feeler fit snug and the .005 should not go in.
                        That is OK, but the bike will run better and go longer between adjustments if you set the valves for the top end of the range.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                          That is OK, but the bike will run better and go longer between adjustments if you set the valves for the top end of the range.

Thanks Steve,

I also noticed that during idle, I can really hear lots of tapping of the valves...is it suppose to be somewhat quiet or is it normal to hear the tapping? (When everything is put back together)

It does get quieter when I increase the RPMs...smooth!

Ed
                          GSX-R750Y (Sold)

Comment

Anytime I've adjusted my valves, I always end up with one or two ticking just a bit, never fails. Though this last adjustment, really don't have a ticking for once, then again I didn't have to adjust many of them, I believe 4 or 5. The rest were spot on at around .004. Rather have then a bit loose then to tight. Seems like the older the bike gets the valve adjustments don't change much.
                            2015 CAN AM RTS

Comment

I imagine the metal eventually gets "used to" the heat and the expansion/contraction, thus required a smaller adjustment as it ages. The shims still wear from the cam lobes, of course.

Thanks for the pictures and story! It will be helpful.

Comment

Working...
                              X