GS 1100e getting some slightly updated parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GS 1100e getting some slightly updated parts

Well this bike was only supposed to be a driver while my katana was getting restored, but I thought I would change things up a bit. I have a complete gs1150ef that I bought for the engine last year. I sold all the body work and tank and gauges, and the engine is for my katana. So I am left with a complete 1150 front end and rear tire and rim and what looks to be a better brake design.

So I figured while its apart for swing arm bearing I would change out the 2.5 rear wheel for a 3. Once that's done I will swap out the 1100 front end for the 1150. wider rims, wider tires, no more brake linked anti-dive :S thank god.

Once all this is done I am also going to attempt to fit the 83 ES fairing and square headlight to the bike.
    So I will take lots of pics as things progress.

Last edited by Guest; 06-07-2015, 03:30 PM.

Pictures not showing up
    Rob
    1983 1100ES, 98' ST1100, 02' DR-Z400E and a few other 'bits and pieces'
    Are you on the GSR Google Earth Map yet? http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=170533

Comment

Still waiting for my swing arm bearings and races, but in the mean time I did some mock ups using the ef chassis and front end.

The big E dash actually fits inside the fairing. just had to angle the brackets a little and it bolts right onto the EF top clamp where the plastic trim piece usually sits.
      going to need some clip-ons though, not crazy about the height of those EF bars.

no clearance issues so far.

even with the wider front end everything seems to clear just fine.

Comment

Extender swingarm

I have a stock modified swing arm 4 inches over with new bearings, Straight and true, Can't tell it from stock on the bike.I would take 150.00 bearings were over 60$
        Attached Files
        sigpic 82 gs1100ez 1168 Wiseco,Web .348 Cams,Falicon Sprockets,Star Racing Ported Head,1mm o/s Stainless Valves,APE Springs,Bronze Guides,etc.APE Billet Tensioner,36CV Carbs,Stage 3 Dynojet,Plenum w/K&N filter,Trued,Welded,Balanced,Crank w/Katana rods & Billet left end, FBG backcut trans, VHR HD Clutch basket,APE nut,VHR High volume oil pump gears,1150 Oil cooler,V&H Megaphone header w/Competition baffle,Dyna S,Coils,Wires,etc.Other misc.mods.

Comment

no thanks im good. not stretching the bike at all, and my swing arm is fine just getting powder coated and waiting for bearings to arrive.

Comment

well I got the rear wheel all squared away.
            to make sure it was centered correctly I marked a spot on each side of the swing arm and first measured the 2.5 inch factory wheel, then measured the 3 inch wheel.
            with the stock spacers and an extra 5mm worth of washers on the right side, I am off center 2.5 mm to the right.
            going to try it like that and see if it handles funny. then once im satisfied I will get some spacers made up.

I really like the gold wheel on there with the the black swing arm.

I also noticed something odd the rear brake rotor on the 1100 has 1 mm different offset than the 1150 rotor even though the caliper brackets are identical.
            Does that seem strange to anyone? I know the 3 inch rims have a smaller hub size, but based on my measuring it all seems to be on the brake side of the rim.

I had a black sprocket cover laying about so I tossed it on for a look. I am thinking about getting all 4 of the covers powder coated black. I just prefer the black engine. I hope it doesn't look to ridiculous having all the cases black with silvers cylinders.

eventually when I pull the engine for a rebuild I will paint the cases and cylinders.

anyone have any ideas as to what to do with the sight glass and the clutch rod on the clutch side cover?

Comment

What's the issue with the sight glass and clutch rod?
              1978 Gs1085 compliments of Popy Yosh, Bandit 1200 wheels and front end, VM33 Smoothbores, Yosh exhaust, braced frame, ported polished head
              1983 Gs1100ESD, rebuild finished! Body paintwork happening winter 2017

I would rather trust my bike to a technician that reads the service manual than some backyardigan that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix things.

Comment

Like the black swing arm look.

i have an '81 and its about to the level that I'm looking at cosmetic updates.

I'm thinking classic polished covers but I do like your black swing arm.

Black sprocket huh? Intersting.

Comment

No issue other than lack of knowledge, I wasn't sure how to remove and replace for powder coating but I did some research and found the info.

The black side cover was just for contrast against the silver engine. If I do black cases I will do the stator cover, clutch cover, sprocket, and ignition covers at the same time. Thinking they might look weird like that though so I might just get them glass beaded and cleared maybe, I just don't like the dirty aluminum, it looks scruffy but I am looking for low maintenance cleaning.

Comment

Cool project.... im not a fan of the es handledars either. I didnt mind the height, but didnt like the odd angle.
                    sigpic
                    When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                    -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                    -Rusty old scooter.
                    Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                    https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                    https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Thanks!

these arrived yesterday that should sort out the bar dilemma

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for Universal 37mm Clip Ons Handle Bars 1 pair Color Matt Black at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

rear is all reassembled with new bearings a near perfect 630 chain and sprockets compliments of the EF parts bike, and the fresh powder coated swing arm.
                        the wheel fits perfectly and I am really liking the gold rim against the black.

I had a slight "oh my god what have I done?" feeling in my stomach as I took these pictures. It will be worth the effort though I'm sure.

still need to make a bracket to attach the oil cooler and the horns, but now its just waiting until the shop is done with the EF forks to reassemble.

Comment

Be careful with that free throttle rocker if you like riding in the twisties. I was warned but......yikes!

Comment

hah! ya not gonna use that thing. I will give it to one of my cruiser buddies lol.

Comment

parts are starting to trickle in from ebay

Comment

Working...
                              X