No announcement yet.

GS 1100e getting some slightly updated parts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

got my seat back from getting recovered. I really like the way it turned out. the seat fitment was never very good on the bike, with the old cover either but this is a nicer looking cover I think.
    I got the shock clevises back from the machine shop, drilled and tapped for 10 mm thread. and 1.5 mm per side removed so they fit on the swingarm bushing properly now. I am glad I got the 350mm shocks it raises the rear a bit, I always found the rear kind of saggy looking on these bikes.
    I have the ebay clip-ons on there and kind of in place but nothing really fits nicely and that big dash is just in the way. it might have been nice to have the clip-ons below the top triple but the air equalizer is in the way. at the end of the night I put the 1150e bars on, they only sit about 2 inches higher, and things line up better. so maybe I will put the clip ons away for something else. or try again later if I find a katana dash. or an early gsxr dash.

still waiting on the headlight ears to arrive so I cant really do anything about the wiring. I do have a sh775 and another better fuse box that is going in. going to do a big cleanup under the seat and eliminate some plugs and shorten some wires. need to do some rereading of the single point ground thread.

I am still waiting for another roll of wrap but I wanted to see how this pipe fits. the short answer is not very good. its definitely not made for the bike, but I don't even think it was made for the katana when I ordered it originally. I am very seriously considering lopping off that center stand ear or drastically clearancing it. I was going to take about 6 inches out of that muffler too but it seems to be growing on me the more I look at it. I hated this pipe on my katana I just thought it was way too long, even after I cut about 3 inches out of the mid pipe. but it doesn't seem as long on this bike to me.

I kinda like the way its turning out. what do you guys think? I would love to hear some feedback.
    good or bad.

end of the night shot I put the 1150e clip-ons on

Comment

The stance looks pretty good. With the longer shocks and shorted 16" wheel in front have a fair about of flexibility on setting your bikes attitude. The 1100 gear is a definite step up from the 1100E stuff. While the 18" 1st Gen stuff (with radials) would be your next step up from here, you are much better setup to go to 17" wheels and standard rubber next.

Comment

headlight brackets arrived finally. man they are junky. cheap crap from india, but they move the headlight out a couple of inches from stock which is what I wanted.
        now to stuff 5 feet of wiring into a 9 inch headlight bucket :P

Comment

The pipe looks good, its the muffler. Check out coneeng.com for some mufflers. Nice selection of all exhaust components.
          Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
          Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
          Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

thanks for the link that's a good place to know about. for this one I may yet take it apart and cut about 6 inches out of the can and rivet it back together. have to wait until I finish wrapping the pipe and secure it properly first though. then I can see if I like it the way it is.

Comment

the patient is awake.

no reason it shouldn't be really but you wonder.

new sh775 reg/rec wow this thing is huge. it takes up all the area of the old reg/rec and the fuse block. which has been relocated to the rear mud guard.

next up bleeding the brakes, finish wrapping and hanging the exhaust and its pretty much done. other than the inevitable bugs. oh ya might try and fit some 600rr coils next week

Comment

Nice! That headlight looks crazy bright. Is it a specialty bulb?
                sigpic
                When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                -Rusty old scooter.
                Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

its one of these. it does look pretty bright not sure how it throws yet though. we will see I suppose

Find many great new & used options and get the best deals for 35W Motorcycle Bike Head light HID Kit Slim Ballast Bi-Xenon H6 8000K Hi/Lo Bulb at the best online prices at eBay! Free shipping for many products!

Comment

With the raised rear end, smaller front wheel and blacked out items, that looks really sharp!!! Regarding the muffler, how about trying to baffle the pipe only? It has beautiful bends, ends in a good spot, and looks like an old Yosh pipe.
                    Current Rides: 82 GS1100E, 00 Triumph 955 Speed Triple, 03 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 01 Honda GL1800, '15 Kawasaki 1000 Versys
                    Past Rides: 72 Honda SL-125, Kawasaki KE-175, 77 GS750 with total yosh stage 1 kit, 79 GS1000s, 80 GS1000S, 82 GS750e,82 GS1000S, 84 VF500f, 86 FZR600, 95 Triumph Sprint 900,96 Triumph Sprint, 97 Triumph Sprint, 01 Kawasaki ZRX1200, 07 Triumph Tiger 1050, 01 Yam YFZ250F
                    Work in progress: 78 GS1000, unknown year GS1100ES

Comment

back on the ground. first time in ages

Comment

Just back from its first shakedown cruise. It sure handles different with that 16 inch front . don't think I like the factory clip-ons either to much turn in, kinda like riding a wheel barrow . I will probably put the aftermarket clip-ons on. The front forks need some nitrogen but other than that it feels ok. the rear wheel is about 6mm offset from the front but I cant feel a difference in the turning. I will get some new spacers made though just the same. all in all I am very happy with the end result.
                        my jbweld repair on the side cover didn't hold. what do guys use to glue those mount pins back on? jb kwik weld didn't work.
                        still need to color match my front fender

Comment

You should not be running any air; get new springs or cheap out and cut those down. If you can invest some more money I would see about a fork brace . These are long forks but the same diameter as the gs1100.
                          Next step after that would be emulators but that eliminates the anti dive functionality. Worth it though .

how would you characterize the 16" wheel mod? Understand that it is hard to separate it out from the other changes. You are still running bias ply tries? Are radials available for that front?
                          Last edited by posplayr; 08-14-2015, 09:56 PM.

Comment

BTW I just did a google search and GSR links started to show up. Much better than the websites builtin search

Comment

well those forks are supposed to have air or nitrogen, they are getting nitrogen. I might preload them a bit though as they are at their lowest setting I'm sure after the shop rebuilt them. also they don't have anti dive I guess that was dumped in 83 ? maybe? definitely not linked to the brakes. that valve in the anti dive spot is to set damping. Also that front fender has a huge chunk of aluminum that makes me think it is a fork brace in disguise, it bolts to the top of the lower tubes with 4 very large allen head bolts. or are you thinking the upper tubes need more bracing?

it is a bias tire. a really old one too, cracking and everything. it will get a new one. bias again likely. it is hard to separate the feel of the tire size change though I think the whole upgrade made the front end a lot faster. Ie really snappy side to side. the bars on the other hand seem to fight that as they are too turned in. they gotta go. one friend of mine as soon as he saw it said the front wheel looks weird and out of place. lol it kind of does. the dash is too big as well as its interfering with my front brake master. so some details left to work out but I am confident enough to plate it and get some seat time in before it snows next week.

Comment

Originally posted by Weapon View Post
                                well those forks are supposed to have air or nitrogen, they are getting nitrogen. I might preload them a bit though as they are at their lowest setting I'm sure after the shop rebuilt them. also they don't have anti dive I guess that was dumped in 83 ? maybe? definitely not linked to the brakes. that valve in the anti dive spot is to set damping. Also that front fender has a huge chunk of aluminum that makes me think it is a fork brace in disguise, it bolts to the top of the lower tubes with 4 very large allen head bolts. or are you thinking the upper tubes need more bracing?

it is a bias tire. a really old one too, cracking and everything. it will get a new one. bias again likely. it is hard to separate the feel of the tire size change though I think the whole upgrade made the front end a lot faster. Ie really snappy side to side. the bars on the other hand seem to fight that as they are too turned in. they gotta go. one friend of mine as soon as he saw it said the front wheel looks weird and out of place. lol it kind of does. the dash is too big as well as its interfering with my front brake master. so some details left to work out but I am confident enough to plate it and get some seat time in before it snows next week.
                                It is your bike so do what you want, however to be clear:
                                (1) Those are Anti-Dive adjusters. See the 1150 manual
                                (2) If anything was eliminated it was this type of 1150 manual adjuster. The GSXR that followed had hydraulic(same as GS1100E) or electric actuated anti dive. All of this was eliminated once cartridge shocks came about (2nd gen GSXR). Which is why with cartridge emulators you also eliminate them.
                                (3) Generally the first thing people do that know what they are doing is to get rid of the air in their forks. It is too hard to keep balanced and was a factory band aid to begin with.
                                (4) all these bikes came with something considered a "fork brace", and that is what provided such a great opportunity for aftermarkets braces.
                                Last edited by posplayr; 08-14-2015, 10:58 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X