Spare parts supplier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spare parts supplier

Hello All, this is my first post as a new member to GSResourse, and I look forward to your appreciated comments. I have recently purchased what I am calling a project bike. Its a 1981 GS850G Suzuki and I have just started on the journey of the restoration which will most likely take up a lot of my free time. That's what I brought it for, I love tinkering with motorcycles, I've customized my daily ride, a Yamaha XVS650 Classic and now looking forward to work on the Suzuki.
    The suzuki I purchase from a young guy here in Melbourne Australia, he had ridden it across Australia on a number of trips. He is actually a native of America here in Australia on a working visa. He is now off to India again to ride around the country of India hopefully on a Royal Enfield so he informed me.
    The Suzuki is in pretty bad shape, I don't think he had ever put a spanner to it. It was covered in grease and oil when I picked it up, but after a few spray cans of degreaser and a high pressure washer and detergent it is now acceptable.
    The engine didn't blow any smoke and started up freely on first push of the starter button, a bit noisy in the top end but I will investigate this issue.
    In actual fact I am amazed the the bike actually ran, apart from the oil and grease, noisy top end, 3 exhaust leaks, rusted spark plugs, (which when I removed them showed that the engine was running slightly lean), and the ignition leads connected to the plug tops by a hair of copper, the bloody thing actually rode reasonably well.

I am pulling the bike right down, grit blasting the frame etc, powder coating frame,fork tubes etc, rewiring, installing CDI ignition and so on, I think it will be endless, but in my opinion this is the fun of it.

I am planning on rebuilding the engine and overhauling the carbs. I've seen on the forum the fantastic step by step procedure on the carby renovation, one I will be closely following, great advice and help.

My question to the forum, is one of many questions I assume I will have in the future, is can anyone recommend a supplier of engine parts for the GS850? Regards LJR47

We have more than a few Aussies lurking about, hopefully they can answer the question about where to get parts.

For more scholarly material, see the mega-welcome link in my signature for service manuals, tutorials, charts, the whole nine yards. (Er, meters!)
    Charles
    --
    1979 Suzuki GS850G

Read BassCliff's GSR Greeting and Mega-Welcome!

Comment

A noisy top end isn't necessarily a bad thing with a GS. It should sound like a sowing machine.
      Oh yeah, WELCOME.
      GSRick
      No God, no peace. Know God, know peace.

Eric Bang RIP 9/5/2018
      Have some bikes ready for us when we meet up.

Comment

Mate try mick hone in your town. Have used him heaps especially after our dollar has dropped 30 percent to the green back. Has also got a good website. Regards
        GED

1980 GS850G (BLACK)
        http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=185562
        1980 GS850G (RED) http://www.thegsresources.com/_forum...d.php?t=219169
        1980 GS850G (SILVER) (Coming soon)

There are old riders and there are bold riders but there are no old bold riders!!!!!!

Comment

Thanks for the info, currently looking at rebuilding my GS850 engine, had a look at the Mick Hone web site, looks like he'll have most things that I will be after, and yes agree with you on our dollar, doesn't buy much overseas at present. Thanks again. Regards

Comment

Working...
          X