Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Magic Beads! (tire balancing beads - yay or nay?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Magic Beads! (tire balancing beads - yay or nay?)

so i am a sucker for everything and I ordered a set of these tiny ceramic balls. probably gonna stick them in the new tires when I mount them next week. just curious though what folks here have experienced with them, think of them.

any votes for "Ride On" magical tire sealing balancing sludge?

UPDATE
    adding this info for anyone just seeing this thread. best prices i've found - ordered myself 12oz for something like $1.65/oz
    Originally posted by nejeff View Post
    This is where I bought my beads

http://www.tirebalancebeads.com/
    FYI: Just got off the phone with the seller and mentioned that I don't have a scale to figure out how many to insert.
    per the seller, 2 level teaspoons of his brand beads = 1oz
    Last edited by Guest; 09-02-2015, 11:41 AM.

They're a pain to insert but once they're in....forget about it! I'm sold on 'em though there are some here calling BS.
    -Mal

"The only reason for time is so that everything doesn't happen at once." - B. Banzai

78 GS750E

Comment

Well, you can't use magic beads and magic sludge at the same time...

Both create an unholy mess when you change the tire. (If you're paying to have the tire changed, warn them and expect to pay extra.) Tire manufacturers recommend against both. Aaaaaand... both are known to inspire fervent, religious devotion based on no concrete evidence. The devotees will be along shortly to share anecdotes.

Personally, I think they're both trying to solve a nearly nonexistent problem with magical thinking. (Other than perhaps the ability of magic sludge to seal some punctures.) Assuming your wheels and tires aren't defective or damaged, they're not going to be far enough out of balance to make much, if any, perceptible difference at street speeds. Using a simple static balance setup and stick-on weights, you can easily balance to within a few grams.

Most, if not all, racebike wheels are static balanced with stick-on weights, and that's good enough for me.

Everyone talks about how much "smoother" or whatever the beads make things, but I strongly suspect that's just what new tires feel like. I can't recall seeing a test comparing new tires with and without the magic beads.

Try the magic beads and decide for yourself.
      Last edited by bwringer; 08-26-2015, 02:08 PM.
      1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
      2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
      2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

If you go with the beads..i generally use Dynabeads.. you cant have any moisture on the inside of the tire if it is tubeless. The moisture makes them clump up and be ineffective. Use the bead lube sparingly when remounting the tire and then wipe the inside dry before inserting the beads with a funnel. Stick the funnel into the tire and dump in the beads and then set the second bead to the rim and air it up. The funnel before the second bead is put on the rim is the easiest way I have found to load the Dynabeads in. But you can get both beads on and get them popped to the rim and then add the beads via a plastic tube over the valve stem. Remove the core and dump the beads in slowly so they go thru the valve stem.

Form tubes, just add the beads with the plastic tubing before putting the tube in the tire and air up as usual.
        MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
        1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Never had a problem just balancing tires manually with stick on weights. Probably takes less time than inserting new beads and dealing with the old beads each time you need to change tires. As for the gunk. .......yuck.
          '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

Originally posted by chuck hahn View Post
            Form tubes, just add the beads with the plastic tubing before putting the tube in the tire and air up as usual.
            Be careful with some tubes as they have some sort of slime in them to evidently help with punctures. I don't imagine the beads would work well with those ones.
            '84 GS750EF (Oct 2015 BOM) '79 GS1000N (June 2007 BOM) My Flickr site http://www.flickr.com/photos/soates50/

Comment

1mm ceramic grinding beads, the same bead but a few bucks a ton instead of a few bucks a gram. They work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

Originally posted by tkent02 View Post
                1mm ceramic grinding beads, the same bead but a few bucks a ton instead of a few bucks a gram. They work.
                yeah but probably not imbued with the same magical properties as the dyna beads.

i think i ordered... EZ Tire Beads
                maybe will convert my moto into a "Truck Motorhome 4x4 Trailer Motorcycle"

Comment

There's no magic. They just work.

Life is too short to ride an L.

Comment

The Dyna Bead chart....

Motorcycle applications are easy for all bikes, 2 wheel or 3 wheel
                    Front
                    80 - 120 mm tire width
                    1 oz
                    80 - 120 mm tire width (BMW Telelever only)
                    2 oz
                    130 mm tire width
                    2 oz
                    Rear
                    130 mm - 240 mm width
                    2 oz
                    250 mm - 360mm tire width
                    3 oz
                    195 - 205 car tires on the rear
                    3 oz
                    M Series Tires Sizes
                    MH – use 80 mm width
                    MR– use 120 mm width
                    MJ– use 90 mm width
                    MT– use 130 mm width
                    MM– use 100 mm width
                    MU– use 140 mm width
                    MN or MP– use 110 mm width
                    MV– use 150 mm width
                    These codes are typical for Harleys but can be for any tire. The codes do not go beyond 150mm in width. With these tires, the first number of the tire size is not the actual width, it is just a number. The M-code is what tells you the actual width.
                    Scooters
                    10" diameter wheels (scooters)
                    1 oz
                    12" & Up diameter wheels (scooters)
                    2 oz
                    Dual Purpose / Off Road with Rim Locks
                    Front - 80 - 120 mm tire width
                    2 oz
                    Rear - 130 -230 mm width
                    3 oz
                    Rim Locks - add one ounce over what you normaly use for that size tire to accomodate the additional weight of the rim lock. Two rim locks opposite each other don't require any more Dyna Beads other than stated above, as they have a tendency to cancel each other out.
                    Note: Filtered valve cores do not fit all stems. They require a seat 1-1/4" down in the stem. If you cannot use them, simply rotate the tire so the valve stem is about the 6:00 position, then give the valve stem a quick shot of air prior to checking pressure.
                    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
                    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Beads, schmeads.
                      I used a magic mix, what I developed myself, and will sell to you for a mere hunnerd bucks per ounce.
                      Simply bung an ounce or two of latex-antifreeze mix into the tyre and feel it balance the tyre out, as well as seal any punctures that happen down the way.
                      I happened upon this Holy Magic Formulation when I was making a tubeless tyre for my lectric bicycle a couple of years ago, and thought it would probably work on the GS, too.
                      ---- Dave
                      79 GS850N - Might be a trike soon.
                      80 GS850T Single HIF38 S.U. SH775, Tow bar, Pantera II. Gnarly workhorse & daily driver.
                      79 XS650SE - Pragmatic Ratter - goes better than a manky old twin should.
                      92 XJ900F - Fairly Stock, for now.

Only a dog knows why a motorcyclist sticks his head out of a car window

Comment

I asked the same question just over 5 years ago.

Click HERE to see that thread.

sigpic
                        mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                        hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                        #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                        #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                        Family Portrait
                        Siblings and Spouses
                        Mom's first ride
                        Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                        (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

So I'm new here and this all sounds like voodoo physics to my rookie ear.
                          Jordan

1977 Suzuki GS750 (My first bike)
                          2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
                          1973 BMW R75/5

Comment

Originally posted by steve View Post
                            i asked the same question just over 5 years ago.
                            impossible!!!@!#$@

Comment

All these magic beads or dyna beads have been debunked several times already. I am surprised that posts keep popping up about them.
                              NO PIC THANKS TO FOTO BUCKET FOR BEING RIDICULOUS

Current Rides: 1980 Suzuki GS1000ET, 2009 Yamaha FZ1, 1983 Honda CB1100F, 2006 H-D Fatboy
                              Previous Rides: 1972 Yamaha DS7, 1977 Yamaha RD400D, '79 RD400F Daytona Special, '82 RD350LC, 1980 Suzuki GS1000E (sold that one), 1982 Honda CB900F, 1984 Kawasaki GPZ900R

Comment

Working...
                              X