Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on the old Vetter Winstar fairings?- possible load issue for 1.0 sonics?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on the old Vetter Winstar fairings?- possible load issue for 1.0 sonics?

I just got my Vetter windstar fairing today...paid more for shipping than for the fairing, but I like it!
    Anyone else out there run one? I purchased a set of Sonic springs a while ago - 1.0 Sonics, for me{190lbs} and the not so light GS850G I have.
    Aside from fairing questions, Do you think the 16lbs of added weight {sans the bracket I still need- probably add 3lbs}, will really affect my front suspension?
    I like the fairing for the marginal wind blocking I want, without having to go full blown on a full Vetter....I wanted a little added storage too.

Maybe at that point 15 weight oil for general smoothness would be wise and maybe a little air to take some of the force off the springs on hard hitting bumps.
    I JUST installed sonic 1.0's on my 850. Just did my first 10 miles on them on a shakedown ride. Feels very good so far. I'll need more miles before I get the true full feeling of them and their limits.

Comment

Originally posted by loud et View Post
      Maybe at that point 15 weight oil for general smoothness would be wise and maybe a little air to take some of the force off the springs on hard hitting bumps.
      I JUST installed sonic 1.0's on my 850. Just did my first 10 miles on them on a shakedown ride. Feels very good so far. I'll need more miles before I get the true full feeling of them and their limits.
      Ok, Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by 80GS850GBob View Post
        I just got my Vetter windstar fairing today...paid more for shipping than for the fairing, but I like it!
        Anyone else out there run one? I purchased a set of Sonic springs a while ago - 1.0 Sonics, for me{190lbs} and the not so light GS850G I have.
        Aside from fairing questions, Do you think the 16lbs of added weight {sans the bracket I still need- probably add 3lbs}, will really affect my front suspension?
        I like the fairing for the marginal wind blocking I want, without having to go full blown on a full Vetter....I wanted a little added storage too.
        You should still be ok. If you do run into a little light bottoming though, raise the oil level 10mm.
        '20 Ducati Multistrada 1260S, '93 Ducati 750SS, '01 SV650S, '07 DL650, '01 DR-Z400S, '80 GS1000S, '85 RZ350

Comment

Originally posted by RichDesmond View Post
          You should still be ok. If you do run into a little light bottoming though, raise the oil level 10mm.
          Thanks Rich, I kind of figured I'd be on a line, but not crossing it, due to the fairly lite weight...a full on fairing with radio...yeah, that'd be a different story.

Comment

Basicly, this fairing is to add a little protection from the wind, like my old FJ1100 had, but I get to keep the upright position oem bars....and my back should be happier.

Comment

I have seen a few Windstars, but never ridden with one. "Back in the day", the magazines compared it to its bigger brother, the Windjammer, and pronounced it "decent coverage, but a bit less than the 'Jammer".

Concerning the suspension: I have a Pacifico Aero fairing on my 850. Shipping weight (including box, packing, etc.) was 34 pounds, so it's a little bit heavier than your Windstar. I have Sonic 1.1 springs and 10w oil, the bike is fantastic.

sigpic
              mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
              hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
              #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
              #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
              Family Portrait
              Siblings and Spouses
              Mom's first ride
              Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
              (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                I have seen a few Windstars, but never ridden with one. "Back in the day", the magazines compared it to its bigger brother, the Windjammer, and pronounced it "decent coverage, but a bit less than the 'Jammer".

Concerning the suspension: I have a Pacifico Aero fairing on my 850. Shipping weight (including box, packing, etc.) was 34 pounds, so it's a little bit heavier than your Windstar. I have Sonic 1.1 springs and 10w oil, the bike is fantastic.

Thanks Steve...I even found a source for a 4" taller windshield last night, in multiple tints...pricey, but options are a wonderful thing since I'm 6'3".

Comment

Thanks Steve...I even found a source for a 4" taller windshield last night, in multiple tints...pricey, but options are a wonderful thing since I'm 6'3".
                  Congrats on finding the taller shield, but condolences for being such a short person.

(I've got about two inches on ya. )

sigpic
                  Family Portrait
                  Siblings and Spouses
                  Mom's first ride
                  Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Congrats on finding the taller shield, but condolences for being such a short person.

(I've got about two inches on ya. )

Ah, your as tall as my buddy George...aka "giraffe".
                    For those reading here's the link to the taller windstar shield-

Comment

To think there was a time you just bought a standard motorcycle and then bought a giant heavy fiberglass fairing to throw on the underzized forks and then tour with it... I can't imagine... Guess I truly am a Millennial...
                      Jedz Moto
                      1980 Suzuki GS1000G
                      1988 Honda GL1500-6
                      2018 Triumph Bonneville T120-
                      2020 Honda Monkey Z125
                      2001 Honda Insight - 65MPG
                      Originally posted by Hayabuser
                      Cool is defined differently by different people... I'm sure the new rider down the block thinks his Ninja 250 is cool and why shouldn't he? Bikes are just cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Jedz123 View Post
                        To think there was a time you just bought a standard motorcycle and then bought a giant heavy fiberglass fairing to throw on the underzized forks and then tour with it... I can't imagine... Guess I truly am a Millennial...
                        Yeah...my 1st two cars had the gas fill behind the plate and there was only one station that wasn't full serve......saw the very 1st MTV vids too...yup, I'm..."wiser" {read old}.

Comment

Ok, got a lead and pulled the trigger on a '79 GS1000 vetter mount, but it's for the windjammers. The side bolt lengths are longer and the width spacing is a little wider {per the gent who measured it for me}....so I'm going to have to play with it, when it shows, to get it to work.

Just for reference, Windstar fairing mounting holes are as follows {in case anyone wishes to know}-
                          -side hole spacing {both sides same}= 5"
                          -front set of holes width= 12 1/8"
                          -rear set of holes width= 13 1/2"
                          ...all specs are on hole centers.

edit...had the auction there, but figured it would go away in time, so for future reference I'll just post pics of it when it shows...those will stay.

I also found a place that sells a near copy of the vetter edge trim, and as I plan to repaint my fairing to match the bike, I'll be replacing mine with this-
                          Trim-Lok has a wide range of plastic or rubber seals and trims for use as a drip edge; window seal, trim or molding; rubber gasket or tubing; PVC trim; and more!
                          Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2016, 10:06 AM.

Comment

I also found a place that sells a near copy of the vetter edge trim, and as I plan to repaint my fairing to match the bike, I'll be replacing mine with this-
                            https://www.trimlok.com/
                            Not sure how closely it matches the Windstar edging, but you can still get OEM edging for the Windjammer.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

Current stuff I have is 1/2" ID width....yes, the new stuff is a little more squared off, but not by much....and it's not chrome. My trim isn't chrome right now and I'd like it to stay that way, but that's me, some folks might want a little added flash.
                              The website I gave shows all their offerings, but I found an ebay auction that sells by the foot....I need 5' total for the surround on my fairing. Still need to measure the length/width for the two storage areas though...
                              Last edited by Guest; 05-28-2016, 11:33 AM. Reason: added a few things

Comment

Working...
                              X