No announcement yet.

Metzlers Sportec Klassic Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Im running the IRC GS series rubber and they are great. Nice handling and great grip in the corners. Just my 2 cents worth on these tires.
    MY BIKES..1977 GS 750 B, 1978 GS 1000 C (X2)
    1978 GS 1000 E, 1979 GS 1000 S, 1973 Yamaha TX 750, 1977 Kawasaki KZ 650B1, 1975 Honda GL1000 Goldwing, 1983 CB 650SC Nighthawk, 1972 Honda CB 350K4, 74 Honda CB550

NEVER SNEAK UP ON A SLEEPING DOG..NOT EVEN YOUR OWN.

I would rather trust my bike to a "QUACK" that KNOWS how to fix it rather than a book worm that THINKS HE KNOWS how to fix it.

Comment

Minimal wear I will snap a picture sometime

Comment

I've made my mind up and Metzelers it is.
        Jeff

Living the dream...

1980 GS1000 that has been modestly modified.

Comment

Originally posted by TiiMuch View Post
          Hmmm,...well I just rode on mine for the first time yesterday.
          But the last time I rode a GS1100 was in the 1982?!.

Seemed really good to me but nothing to compare to?.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]46582[/ATTACH]
          Not to detract from the thread, but have to say that is super nice stainless RR Supertrapp pipe.
          I had a SS bend that would drag hard in right handers.
          This one looks nice and tucked away.
          I've gotten used to taking the pipe off to do oil/filter changes.
          Guess that's the only drawback.

Regarding tires, I'm always a little apprehensive, trying new tires, when I'm satisfied and comfortable with the mis-match I have on there now.
          Sport Demon Rear, Dunlop 591 Front.
          Not much life on the front, but great feedback for $100 bucks.
          GS\'s since 1982: 55OMZ, 550ES, 750ET, (2) 1100ET\'s, 1100S, 1150ES. Current ride is an 83 Katana. Wifes bike is an 84 GS 1150ES

Comment

here is the rear tire so far

IMG_2978.jpg
            Last edited by Guest; 02-11-2017, 07:19 PM.

Comment

The most recent Metzlers I bought were a disappointment. I used to love them.
              sigpic Too old, too many bikes, too many cars, too many things

Comment

were they the Klassic or the lazertechs?

Comment

Originally posted by 850 Combat View Post
                  The most recent Metzlers I bought were a disappointment. I used to love them.
                  Originally posted by Gs1000g View Post
                  were they the Klassic or the lazertechs?
                  Yeah, we're gonna need some more details. Are you talking about the new Sportec Klassic, or the old Lasertec left over from the '80s? And what, exactly, was disappointing?

Compared to any number of more modern tires, it's no surprise that the Lasertecs would be disappointing. The state of the art has moved on considerably since they came out in the '80s. It's easy to forget that the Avons, Pirellis, Bridestone BT45, and even Shinkos we commute on would be race-winning rubber back in the '80s.

However, it would be very surprising if the Sportec Klassic were disappointing -- it uses completely modern construction, design, and materials and reports from the field (not just here on the GSR) have been outstanding.
                  1983 GS850G, Cosmos Blue.
                  2005 KLR685, Aztec Pink - Turd II.3, the ReReReTurdening
                  2015 Yamaha FJ-09, Magma Red Power Corrupts...
                  Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Celeriter equita, converteque saepe.

SUPPORT THIS SITE! DONATE TODAY!

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

Brian, you are gonna have to spoon some of these on so we can get some consistency with reportage....science demands it.
                    1983 GS 1100 ESD

Comment

Originally posted by greg78gs750 View Post
                      Brian, you are gonna have to spoon some of these on so we can get some consistency with reportage....science demands it.
                      You have a point... but crikey, they're $260 a set?

A quick comparison of shipped prices for a set of 100/90-19 and 130/09-17 right now, sticking with the more modern V-rated designs:
                      Metzeler Sportec Klassic: $260
                      Pirelli Sport Demon: $242
                      Michelin Pilot Activ: $225
                      Bridgestone BT45: $213
                      Continental GO!: $199
                      Avon AM26 RoadRider: $195
                      Shinko 230: $132

As the OP mentioned, Metzeler offers a rebate every so often, so if this pops up when the time comes for new shoes on the GS (probably this spring) I might go for it.
                      Last edited by bwringer; 02-16-2017, 04:39 PM.
                      Eat more venison.

Please provide details. The GSR Hive Mind is nearly omniscient, but not yet clairvoyant.

Get "The Riding Obsession" sport-touring motorcycling podcast at https://tro.bike/podcast/ or wherever you listen to podcasts!

Comment

I agree, without the rebate they were very hard to justify when I could of got a pair of Avon for significantly less. I am hoping the Metzlers outlast the other tires and get more mileage per dollar because you talked me into doing it for science.....

Here are the current photos of the tires. I am very happy with the wear and after this warm weekend of thrashing Im probably 3500ish miles on the set mainly riding two up so the extra weight of a passenger this has definitely outlasted my sport demon, looks better than my D404 did at this mileage, so we shall see

Comment

Cool, they look very good for the mileage you have!
                          Eat more venison.

Comment

Any update on thoughts about the Sportec Klassik?
                            I’m considering getting them in 3.25-19 & 4.00-18 for a T500 cafe build.

Comment

Originally posted by jabcb View Post
                              Any update on thoughts about the Sportec Klassik?
                              I’m considering getting them in 3.25-19 & 4.00-18 for a T500 cafe build.
                              I think they're good tires, I have them on my Guzzi. So far, they saw about 4000km's of service consisting of commuting, medium and long tours/vacation. Wear and Tear is nice, and at the same time, the tires feel quite sticky.

Though, caveat: I managed to slip the rear when chasing up the Stelvio Pass - but this was with bagagge on the rear, pushing the limits, me being a comparatively novice rider, low temperatures, and a small oil leak discovered later on that may have contaminated the tire.

These will definitively go on my GS'es as well.
                              #1: 1979 GS 550 EC "Red" – Very first Bike / Overhaul thread        New here? ☛ Read the Top 10 Newbie mistakes thread
                              #2: 1978 GS 550 EC "Blue" – Can't make it a donor / "Rebuild" thread     Manuals (and much more): See Cliff's homepage here
                              #3: 2014 Moto Guzzi V7 II Racer – One needs a runner while wrenching
                              #4: 1980 Moto Guzzi V65C – Something to chill

Comment

Finally an update, I took the GS to NW Arkansas and thrashed around. the tire stuck like glue, the wear is negligible and handled great in the torrential downpour I got caught in. Will continue to update as I ride would still recommend these for anyone

Comment

Working...
                                X