Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

USB Port, Cigarette Plug Wiring, GPS Advice?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

USB Port, Cigarette Plug Wiring, GPS Advice?

Hi all, I searched and can't find anything on it. Apologies if it's been common topic.

I was at Walmart Auto section a while back and noticed a cigarette lighter plug for around $5.
    After I left, I was thinking I should've bought it for keeping my phone charged up while riding.

So last week, I went in a Goodwill thrift store and picked up a Tom-Tom One model GPS for $5.
    Plugged in the charger /plug in my truck and it seems better than my Garmin GPS.
    It's very compact but no earphone connection.

I was thinking of best way to wire the Walmart plug,
    Thoughts first were run a cable to a multiple screw piece I have (from a scrap clothes dryer) and connect there ,
    Then add perhaps a 15 or 20 amp fuse on one of the cigarette lighter cables. (?)

Next I'm thinking Why not do similar EXCEPT use the USB plug itself (the one that plugs into the cigarette lighter), Just add wires off the pin front and flat on side.

I don't have to have both at same time, just be able to charge phone on long rides/days.
    But the GPS has plug for lighter attached (removeable from unit), so another cable would be needed.

I'm thinking run (soldered, w/ heatshrink on top) wires straight from the pin and side to accessory block off battery. (with a fuse someplace).(Not even use the lighter plug).

Also I was wondering about best methods for mounting and location of GPS. (Advice, Thanks!)

This addition could be done for very cheap I'm thinking. I saw a waterproof sport case for phones with two velcro straps at the one dollar store. They even have chargers with USB port, amperage is slightly lower but they work.

I plan to use a sturdy homemade mount without permanent modification and weatherproof.
    The GPS will be removed and taken with me when I park.
    Just seeking suggestions, advice. Thanks.

I have these on 2 bikes. Can't go wrong. I wired them to the accessory fuse in my block.

Comment

Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
      I wired them to the accessory fuse in my block.
      That is a nice-looking socket there, but please be aware that connecting it to the accessory fuse means that it is "hot" all the time. Anything plugged into it will not go OFF with the key.

sigpic
      mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
      hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
      #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
      #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
      Family Portrait
      Siblings and Spouses
      Mom's first ride
      Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
      (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Originally posted by Steve View Post
        That is a nice-looking socket there, but please be aware that connecting it to the accessory fuse means that it is "hot" all the time. Anything plugged into it will not go OFF with the key.

Thanks for the tip. I noticed today, looking at a cheap USB charger (ran in $1 store for paper plates and foam bowls for kids, not much of a dishwash for kids type...) Package has warning to connect AFTER vehicle is running since the power surge from start can damage electronics connected...Seems like an on/off switch good idea for ALL the chargers maybe (?)
        Originally posted by ShadowFocus603 View Post
        http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-12V-USB-WATERPROOF-GPS-POWER-PORT-OUTLET-SOCKET-CHARGER-FOR-CELLPHONE-/262128695817?hash=item3d08167a09:g:nRMAAOSwo6lWOEv b&vxp=mtr
        I have these on 2 bikes. Can't go wrong. I wired them to the accessory fuse in my block.
        Thankyou very much for link, Thinking I'll probably go with that, or similar.
        Still entertaining thought of wiring directly from the cigarette lighter plug-in and modified (water-resistant) cheap USB plug, Perhaps wired in series, to an accessory strip. Just cautious of bike nickel and diming me to death lately...

Been thinking at some point I'd like a heated glove/ suit plug, a battery trickle charge plug and IDK,
        The other item I saw and didn't buy was a tiny low-power ac/dc invertor I was thinking what the heck I could use it for maybe a dremel, maybe, but why(?) Then thought Christmas lights would be coooool . Later realized I could plug in a 110v light socket with one of the low wattage flourescent bulbs and add a red lens under the tail would be visible highly...
        (I mostly look at metal items I can modify for other artistic purposes at thrift store)...

Here's the thing about the invertor, A while back I saw something similar to this silly addition example:
        http://www.hotlicksexhaust.com/store/index . A little pricey I was thinking, it amounts to high voltage through a spark plug mounted something like XX inches(forgot) from end of tail-pipe. The unburned fuel gets ignited resulting in flame from the exhaust. Pretty cool for showing off.
        It's possible to connect spark-plug cable wires to the prongs of a stun-gun which can be had for $20 and less. IF a dc transformer plugged into the tiny invertor was used (for the 9V) there's no need for battery.
        The idea of actually wiring a stun-gun to spark gap inside the exhaust and thought of getting shocked by a short while riding put damper on that one for me for many years (comical risk vs. benefit there IMO)...

However, recently I had a Harbor Freight deal where I bought one item and got a free electric fly-swatter,
        There's several vids of (mostly teens) modifying them into shocking spark makers ,Tiny holes with a BBQ grill spark would do in muffler, idea was revived.
        Just had to get that one off my chest. PHEW!!!

I'm thinking I'll mount the waterproof cap combo or similar (linked) under my gas tank at front and coil the extra cable neatly tucked under tank since my GPS will get mounted either on the left section handlebar OR top of gas tank .(?)
        No idea why I didn't check ebay, and since it''ll face forward, those caps look great for rain.
        Hopefully I'll post some pics once I get photobucketed...Gotta run, wife thinks I'm looking at pron or such when I'm online too much.
        Thanks again.

Comment

If you go the heated grips route, I got some of these and love them. http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...r-heated-grips

I wired direct to the battery after not getting enough juice from the tail light wiring. Eh, just gotta remember to turn it off.

Comment

Originally posted by carusoat View Post
            If you go the heated grips route, I got some of these and love them. http://www.bikebandit.com/aftermarke...r-heated-grips

I wired direct to the battery after not getting enough juice from the tail light wiring. Eh, just gotta remember to turn it off.
            Thanks! Look like a good idea.
            I've only seen the mitten type heaters, and I don't like anything holding me to bike, blocking movement from bike. Not even large windshields, high sissy bars etc. bother me, block my potential route I guess. Not sure about bar-end mirrors even. Those look decent!

I remember one time my car broke down in January-February and I was riding to work.
            Hands got so numb I was worried about whether I'd be able to pull clutch lever.
            Used the old trick of putting glove/hand against motor...got tired of that so I pulled into a 7-11, threw gloves in microwave for a minute...rode rest of way to work.
            LOL, gloves got burnt, shrank a little...worked so-so.

Another electrical add-on I'm wondering about is: I heard a radio ad for a sale on a particular dash-board cam.
            Price was very low ,around $32 through Aug. something. Has a bit of storage.
            Can't remember which store at all.
            Think I'd have to mount it in a hidden location the way I ride, and only refer to it when certain.
            Probably NOT good idea to have bunch of storage either...even on walmart they're cheap and have night vision cam , compact. One states "bike mount" .
            Just a new gadget haven't thought of before is all. Still pondering it. (?)

Haven't made any progress on USB port/ plug for charger. Thinking maybe using a rubber hose for casing and waterproof it with caulking, or daughter's hot-glue gun IF i don't order the one linked earlier.

I'll update but been too busy,out of town past weekend, been dropping child at summer-camp, job busy/physical didn't even ride to work (drove) Feel like taking a day off to ride all day...can't 'till september,URgH! . Hopefully soon.

Comment

So BKF, did you add an outlet or anything?

I've been reading threads on this topic and picked up an outlet with a weather proof cap from Autozone. I plan to just run directly to the battery or accessory fuse if there is one, haven't looked yet. I may locate it inside the fairing's key lock panel for additional protection from rain. I'm not crazy about drilling holes to run the wire out though as it may start cracking there. I have a red fused lead inside the windjammer, but it's dead. Maybe the PO never connected that lead in the pigtail. Bummer as that would be very simple to use. I'd like it to stay hot all the time.

Here's one of many other threads on this

If a battery tender is plugged into such an outlet, won't that damage the bike's charging system?
              Roger

Current rides
              1983 GS 850G
              2003 FJR 1300A
              Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

My personal favorite power plug is just a simple SAE plug. It's a two-pin flat item, looks like half of a trailer plug. I have it positioned so it can come up the gap between the seat and tank or get stuffed down to hide it. Mine is connected pretty much directly to the battery (with a fuse, of course), so it is always "live". When the bike is not in use, it is used for a battery tender. When the bike IS in use, I can plug in my heated jacket liner or use an extension and run power to my tank bag. Inside the tank bag, I have a splitter that will allow several things to plug in (phone, camera, whatever). If I want to run the tank bag and my jacket liner, I have a "Y" cord to handle both. My GPS is wired to the bike and is on a switched connection, as are the satellite radio and the CB/intercom unit that sends the radio signal to my helmet.

sigpic
                Family Portrait
                Siblings and Spouses
                Mom's first ride
                Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)

Comment

Originally posted by Burque73 View Post
                  So BKF, did you add an outlet or anything?

I've been reading threads on this topic and picked up an outlet with a weather proof cap from Autozone. I plan to just run directly to the battery or accessory fuse if there is one, haven't looked yet. I may locate it inside the fairing's key lock panel for additional protection from rain. I'm not crazy about drilling holes to run the wire out though as it may start cracking there. I have a red fused lead inside the windjammer, but it's dead. Maybe the PO never connected that lead in the pigtail. Bummer as that would be very simple to use. I'd like it to stay hot all the time.

Here's one of many other threads on this

If a battery tender is plugged into such an outlet, won't that damage the bike's charging system?
                  Still haven't added the outlet because until recently I didn't have a fuel pump and hadn't taken any long rides as planned. Now I've added a fuel pump. (Bike had a low fuel issue so only commuted short way to work and short rides all summer).

Been busy sturdying up the exhaust mounts and clamps lately too, by the way...

Been thinking of phone charger/gps more now that I can take longer rides.
                  ALSO I came up with a nice homemade GPS mount (costs Cheap but durable/practical).
                  (I'll try and post some pics of it soon).
                  I'll be adding a small fairing soon (waiting on, in mail) , so dependent on how the fairing changes plans/ mounting location.

My old MC had the two pin "SAE plug " just like Steve mentioned. mine ran straight to battery using circular eye terminals. But had a small built in single fuse with rubber cover.
                  The trickle charger can be plugged directly to theses and another SAE plug. (Just have to make sure it's a "trickle/low amp charger" (since the batt.cables are still connected)

Dang, I saw a nice accessory block (fuse slots and a screw for connecting wire ends) strip online the other night, no time to locate it at the moment.
                  Hoping to get the GPS mount and plug, as well as phone charger AND heated grips would really be nice (I was thinking yesterday morning).

Thanks very much for the replies and I'll read through the other thread when get chance later.
                  Thanks Steve as well. (I respect the information Steve shares on forum, a lot)
                  (Typed in a hurry, not much time this eve. ...
                  Oh, IF the fairing is plastic seems like a soldering iron or red hot nail would work ...fiberglass no, Goodluck running the new wire...

Comment

After going through several options this is what I picked. It is still on the bench.

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post
                      After going through several options this is what I picked. It is still on the bench.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                      Nice, I'll look into that for sure.
                      Roger

Current rides
                      1983 GS 850G
                      2003 FJR 1300A
                      Gone but not forgotten 1985 Rebel 250, 1991 XT225, 2004 KLR650, 1981 GS850G, 1982 GS1100GL, 2002 DL1000, 2005 KLR650, 2003 KLX400

Comment

Originally posted by posplayr View Post

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
                        Is there any risk of damaging our stators or rectifier/regulators by changing the power demands through the addition of new loads like heated grips and USB chargers?

i have seem somewhere USB chargers that go straight on the battery poles, with such units also doubling as trickle chargers for the battery when plugged into an external source. I like that ideas as you’re reducing the number of new connections to the battery.
                        1982 Suzuki GS650G

Comment

Originally posted by Admiral Beez View Post
                          Is there any risk of damaging our stators or rectifier/regulators by changing the power demands through the addition of new loads like heated grips and USB chargers?

i have seem somewhere USB chargers that go straight on the battery poles, with such units also doubling as trickle chargers for the battery when plugged into an external source. I like that ideas as you’re reducing the number of new connections to the battery.
                          I'll pass along what I've read here in different posts that installing additional electrical equipment may actually be beneficial to your charging system. Especially if you swap the lights over to LED's which require less current, making the Reg/Rec unit work harder. The stator is putting out way more power than we need so no, heated grips, charging ports, running lights etc. won't hurt.

On another note, if your charging port is not on a switched circuit it can drain the battery if left sitting for a while. I have yet to install one but like to read up on these things when they come up.
                          Roger

Current rides
                          1983 GS 850G
                          2003 FJR 1300A

Comment

The "additional load" imposed by a USB charger is laughable. The bike probably would not even notice 10 such devices, except that it would be running out of room to mount them.

I don't know how that would work, as the output of the USB charger is only 5 volts, and they don't work backwards. The only possibility would be if it also has a cigarette lighter type output, as well. You could then backfeed that port to use as your charger, but there are better, cheaper, more-elegant solutions available.

sigpic
                            Family Portrait
                            Siblings and Spouses
                            Mom's first ride

Comment

I run a dual weatherproof 12v outlet on each motorcycle. It's simply ziptied to the handle bars in a handy position and then ran to an aux fuse block and ground busbar. I've been meaning to swap over to the single 12v outlet with USB outlet combo chargers. I do not wire these for switched power. I run them hot all the time because I I'm in camp and want to charge a few things I can do it off the bike,as well as run my LED rope light. You can charge many many cell phones on your bike battery and still have plenty of juice left to start. I do carry LiIon jumpstarter/powerpack incase I do have a dead battery for whatever reason but Ive used it for other people far more than for myself.

I can hook a battery tender up in the garage to the bike via the 12v outlet instead of running a separate sae plug for that purpose.

Comment

Working...
                              X