Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It pays to get the professionals involved sometimes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It pays to get the professionals involved sometimes.

I have some experience in rebuilding and freshening carbs.
    I am not a novice - I have succesfully done several sets...
    But this time around on my '83 GS850 -- I was beaten.
    Then STEVE came to me rescue... I sent my carbs off to him and he did MAGIC -
    A complete cleaning and rebuild (noticing my errors) and back to me as a "Plug & Play" set of carbs -
    Synched and ready to ride...so I was excited when the box arrived -
    A few days before I had told Steve "carte blanche" on the rebuild when he asked if he could spruce them up
    Knowing his reputation for tripping into the polishing wheel I was looking forward to seeing my shiney polished carbs -

Here they are in the box...

But then I turned them over and found a surprise ...

I expected shine and got Orange and Purple

Wrapped inside some packing rags were the REAL carb float bowls - shined and ready for installation.
    SO be careful when you tell STEVE to go crazy ...

Here are my notes from the valve inspection this past week ..
    I had to change one shim to get to these numbers...
    The bike runs like a top - and I am 75 miles into the JOY of riding a GS again...

Here is the first starter button push after I re-installed the carbs re-worked by STEVE

Currently in the Stable :
    2002 Honda Goldwing GL1800 Sunburst Pearl Orange
    1983 Suzuki GS850 GL Blue & Black

" I am never lost until I run out of fuel...until that moment I am EXPLORING."
    - Carl R. Munkwitz

Munk's Maxim: "There is no such thing as a cheap motorcycle"

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Yay you!

So (for the benefit of us learning from your errors)....whadja do wrong?

Comment

In MY opinion --
        1) -- I had ONE valve shim WAY OUTTA WACK causing a problem with the way it ran --
        No power - rough running - popping badly (exhaust #4) {I fixed that - all other shims stayed the same as previously}
        2) -- The connector on the left side of the bike was kinda "loose" so I cleaned it up, and made sure it was tightly together and zip tied it out of the way - I think this connector has all the main power running through it and a bad connection also seemed to affect the running.

In STEVE'S opinion --
        I had some issues with the carb clean and rebuild I did..
        He gave me a detailed breakdown of my errors so I could learn...
        Here are his reports --

One pilot jet was plugged, one was partially blocked, the other two weren’t bad, but weren’t all that good.
        Needle jets had some curious corrosion on them, might have been from water in fuel.
        One hole was partially blocked, but would not have caused the reported symptoms.

There were also some dubious float heights from my setting process...which of course he fixed to correct them

And finally he re-set the mixture screws - While I had them close they were all too lean it seemed (poor power answer)

SO it was well worth it to have STEVE look them over, add new o-rings ,and synch them, and do some polishing and painting (purple and orange? Be careful)

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Congratulations Carl. I was wondering what your reaction would be when he showed me the bowls a few days ago; aren't those Minnesota Vikings Colors?
          Cowboy Up or Quit. - Run Free Lou and Rest in Peace

1981 GS550T - My First
          1981 GS550L - My Eldest Daughter's - Now Sold
          2007 GSF1250SA Bandit - My touring bike

Sit tall in the saddle Hold your head up high
          Keep your eyes fixed where the trail meets the sky and live like you ain't afraid to die
          and don't be scared, just enjoy your ride - Chris Ledoux, "The Ride"

Comment

Originally posted by cowboyup3371 View Post
            Congratulations Carl. I was wondering what your reaction would be when he showed me the bowls a few days ago; aren't those Minnesota Vikings Colors?
            The PURPLE certainly is ... But I prefer to think of Purple & Orange as Mardi Gras colors.

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Glad you're sorted and running. Gotta love the bowls prank. If you're bike wasn't so darn nice it would have been funny to leave them....
              sigpic
              When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
              -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
              -Rusty old scooter.
              Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
              https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
              https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

200 miles report

Simple follow up report --
                I have managed to put on about 200 miles these past 2 days since I got the carbs installed
                My mileage (MPG) is 44.3. Most of those miles are at near 50 MPH - but there was a run down the Interstate for about 30 miles at 75MPH.
                Before the carb clean / tune I was always around 40-42 MPG so that is a plus if it lasts over time
                Power is ample, idles well, accelerates crisply, and is smooth all the way up to highway speeds.
                Typically I shift around 5000 RPMs - but have been known to go to 7000 once in while ..

So the 2016 refresh list is as follows:
                Carbs redone by STEVE (key to get the bike running well)
                Valve shims dialed in
                New K&N air filter with a reconditioned air box
                New intake boots (pipes)
                New seat by Diamond Custom Seats (wonderfully comfortable)
                New spark plugs & refreshed wires and caps
                New petcock (old one was leaking a bit)

Things to do:
                re-do the front forks and install new seals correctly (I did this once but it is still leaking and I think I have the seals in upside down
                )

Knowledge gained ? Immense
                Lessons learned ? Get help when you need it and the GS Resource Forum is THE place to do this!

Yes- I am excited to be riding the GS again -

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

I just did my forks and had one seal upside down... I had no idea there was an orientation, nor was there mention in the Suzuki or Haynes manusls..... As you said- knowledge gained.
                  sigpic
                  When consulting the magic 8 ball for advice, one must first ask it "will your answers be accurate?"

Glen
                  -85 1150 es - Plus size supermodel.
                  -Rusty old scooter.
                  Other things I like to photograph.....instagram.com/gs_junkie
                  https://www.instagram.com/glen_brenner/
                  https://www.flickr.com/photos/152267...7713345317771/

Comment

Happy to have played a small part in your bike's resurrection.

Hopefully the "carte blanche" is to your liking and satisfaction?

sigpic
                    mine: 2000 Honda GoldWing GL1500SE and 1980 GS850G'K' "Junior"
                    hers: 1982 GS850GL - "Angel" and 1969 Suzuki T250 Scrambler
                    #1 son: 1986 Yamaha Venture Royale 1300 and 1982 GS650GL "Rat Bagger"
                    #2 son: 1980 GS1000G
                    Family Portrait
                    Siblings and Spouses
                    Mom's first ride
                    Want a copy of my valve adjust spreadsheet for your 2-valve per cylinder engine? Send me an e-mail request (not a PM)
                    (Click on my username in the upper-left corner for e-mail info.)

Comment

Nothing but grateful

Originally posted by Steve View Post
                      Happy to have played a small part in your bike's resurrection.

Hopefully the "carte blanche" is to your liking and satisfaction?

YES - YES - YES (except the purple and orange float bowls joke)
                      But the polishing and painting done is first rate and adds emphasis to my bikes looks...

I am over joyed at the final result.

- Carl R. Munkwitz

Comment

Working...
                      X